free hit
counters
Water pipes - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Water pipes

Hi

Got 3 or 4 connections like this on the water pipes. Dripping. Not now going to strip out but looking for a secure but temporary solution without removing the ally pipes.

Can anyone recommend a sealant that can be used as you tight the jubilee clip maybe or even a pipe repair material to give a smooth sealing surface?

Thanks

IMG_7703.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would be tempted to remove the hoses, dry off the ally pipe ends, clean up as much as possible with some emery cloth (not too coarse), then smear some Devcon, or similar alloy metal paste around the diameter to fill all the pits. Let it go off, and emery again to get a smooth surface. The rubber hose ends will probably be a bit lumpy inside, but clean them out, and perhaps use an RTV silicone sealant.

Hopefully they're not leaking in the chassis, but if so, Sparky's Gyno Services are available for consultation.

Thanks Ian.  Planning to replace next winter so just want temp fix for now.

You can change these in-situ, just need to remove the fuel tank balance pipe and you can feed new ones in.  (I've done it).    You can almost guarantee yours will be porous at the joints, so I suspect any attempt to clean them may make them worse! 

However, as a quick fix, perhaps you could shorten them slghtly to get the hose onto good metal?

• Like 1

Not sure how big the holes are Ian,  But you can get stuff from halfords,  i cant remember for the life of me what it is called,  but it a addative that goes into the coolant,   They are like little beads in the fluid and seal up when they come into contact with air,   

I have always been very scepticle about such projects,  but used this many years ago and it worked a treat,  finding out that top brand car production plants actually use this stuff made me change my mind,  basically it avoids the risks of leaks on freshly installed engines on the production line when all the coolant pipes etc are attached.   

IIRC is also helps lubricate the water pump off memory or such like ?

Good stuff and well worth popping a bottle in,  I seem to recall it was less than a fiver, worth a shot at a tempory/lasting repair  :thumbup:

542770100.jpg.2a6360af7629fcc8263d5fd9458b9112.jpg

That sounds like a ceramic-based hole sealant. I've used ceramic-based with no ill-effects, unlike the old waxbased stuff that bungs up the matrix of the rad & heater.