free hit
counters
Rotten Core Plugs - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
910Esprit

Rotten Core Plugs

Just preparing head for exhaust manifold and decided to 'descale' 3 small core plugs on the exhaust mounting face.   A hole immendiately appeared in one and the other 2 very thin.   Appear to have rotted from the outside.    3 ordered from Ebay - seem to be 22mm although I expected them to be imperial.   

So worth a poke about if you have access to your head or you have a mystery water leak from that side of the block      

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When I had my head sorted back in 1988, we decided core plugs were only there to get the casting core out..so I had then welded over, along with the damage to the mating face where the head had rotted around the manifold studs.... then remachined the stud holes. No problems since!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

Just preparing head for exhaust manifold and decided to 'descale' 3 small core plugs on the exhaust mounting face.   A hole immendiately appeared in one and the other 2 very thin.   Appear to have rotted from the outside.    3 ordered from Ebay - seem to be 22mm although I expected them to be imperial.   

So worth a poke about if you have access to your head or you have a mystery water leak from that side of the block      

Sure not 7/8 as only 5 thou difference