free hit
counters
2018 Track Days - UK & RoE - Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
baronbennyt

2018 Track Days - UK & RoE

Hello Chaps!

I've just joined the Lotus Forums but not sure what I'm doing! Here are a few photos of my 3-Eleven at rest and on-track last year. I'm booked on the following track days in 2018: 

- Friday 20 April / Lotus On Track / Castle Combe 

- Thursday 10 May / Lotus Bell & Colvill / Castle Combe

- Friday 1 June / Goodwood

- Thursday 19 July / Porsche Club GB / Castle Combe - I like Porsche hunting! 

- Monday 27 & Tuesday 28 August / Nurburgring 

- Friday 28 September / Goodwood 

Hope to see some other Lotus Forum users out there this year! 

Benedict (insta: baronbennyt)

thumbnail_IMG_8332.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8333.jpg

PR_170901_EVO_BA_0068 (low res).jpg

2017-08-04 07.54.59.jpg

2017-07-20 15.03.10.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How are you going to get on with noise or are these noisy days?

Trevor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Trevsked said:

How are you going to get on with noise or are these noisy days?

Trevor.

I tend to go for 105db track days. The only problem I've had was at Bedford with EVO Magazine, where I was restricted to 4-5,000 rpm because of noise. Boring! 

Standard exhaust and no issue last time at Castle Combe? I'm wondering if I'll be ok there in the GT430. Trouble is they noise test rather than drive by I seem to remember.

Trevor.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trevsked said:

Standard exhaust and no issue last time at Castle Combe? I'm wondering if I'll be ok there in the GT430. Trouble is they noise test rather than drive by I seem to remember.

Trevor.

Ooof, GT430? Very, very nice. Looking forward to seeing it.

I was okay on the static noise test last time with B&C at CC circuit, but it was close. I wasn't restricted on drive by though which was a relief. Porsche Club GB also run a 105db day at CC so I've booked with them too, plus I like making a nuisance of myself with them! However, I'm concerned I'll have problems at the Lotus On Track track day at CC, which has a lower limit. That's why I'm currently considering Hangar 111's QT signature exhaust - it makes a completely different sound (muffled jet) which isn't as appealing, to these ears at least, but at least you don't sweat every time you get close to the noise meters and it should allow plenty of additional (plus more affordable) track day options. 

Very much done right benny.

i will try and get along to the 1st June goodwood day I think. Have a day’s training there with jack Layton end of March so would be good to revisit quite quickly. 

• Like 2

We’re at Silverstone on Monday, weather permitting. We’ll find out the full story with noise there. Would love to return to Goodwood and Castle Combe as I have some reference times for comparison but I fear noise will be an issue. The 311 does seem to be slightly but usefully less noisy than the latest Exiges and Evoras.

• Like 1

Hi @baronbennyt. I have the Hangar 111QT silencer on my Komo-Tec upgraded Elise 220 Cup. Very pleased with it. Last noise test at Bedford two weeks ago was 89 DbA and before that I was low 90's at Brands and Donnington. The note does change as it matures and i like the sound of it, but your description is probably correct. Good luck....getting the track time is the top priority, especially with a 3-eleven.  Were you at Hethel last September?

• Like 1

@Colin67 I didn't know you had tweaked the cup - do you mind sharing what you have had done? 

I know we were looking for a June option - you around for the 1st at Goodwood or is there anything else that has taken your eye?

My car has developed a ticking noise from the engine area that goes away when the clutch is fully pressed in...back to hofmanns! Anyone know what this could be so i go in armed with some concept of what it could be. 

2 hours ago, Colin67 said:

Hi @baronbennyt. I have the Hangar 111QT silencer on my Komo-Tec upgraded Elise 220 Cup. Very pleased with it. Last noise test at Bedford two weeks ago was 89 DbA and before that I was low 90's at Brands and Donnington. The note does change as it matures and i like the sound of it, but your description is probably correct. Good luck....getting the track time is the top priority, especially with a 3-eleven.  Were you at Hethel last September?

Your Elise 220 Cup sounds like great fun and congrats on the exhaust. Sadly, Hangar 111 have confirmed they haven’t configured a QT exhaust for the 3-Eleven yet. 

I haven’t been to Hethel so it must have been someone else I’m afraid. 

Hi @BatMobile. I had Hangar 111 instal the Komo-Tec phase 3 upgrade. The Elise Cups use the Toyota Prius engine, which in original form is (I think) 1600 cc and comes with a very restricted exhaust system. Lotus increase the capacity to 1800cc but leave the exhaust for  homologisation reasons. So, what KT do is effectively uncork the engine. The mods are: 1) on the exhaust side: install much larger 4 into 1 manifold, change to a large 200 cell Cat and have you separately purchase a free flow sports exhaust. 2) on the inlet side they instal a TRD airbox and a smaller supercharger pulley and belt to increase supercharger boost. Then they remap the engine to take advantage of the new free flow characteristics. The upshot is the power increases from 217 bhp to about 260 bhp and the torque increases from 187 ft lbs to about 210 ft lbs. The revised torque characteristics are great, giving more early torque with a flatter curve over a much wider rev range. I'm not sure what the upgraded performance stats are but I've been on track with 250 Cups who's owners confessed they could not keep up accelerating out of corners. Mind you they are better drivers than me through the bends, where it matters, but in a drag race they'r toast. The stock S/220, 250 and 260 cup are all effectively the same torque. However, the last time I looked, the only derivative that KT provide upgrades for are the S/220 Cup. Attempts to upgrade the 250 Cups seem to put them in limp modes, which is a real shame because the chassis can handle so much more. Having said all that my car is relatively heavy at about 930 kg. I know of an owner of a new Elise sprint who is having the KT upgrade in March and his car only weighs about 860 kg, which will be really potent.                                     With regards June options Alastair the only thing I've booked is  Thruxton on 25th June. I'm not at home at the moment: currently in a hotel about 2 miles from Bedford Autodrome ready for track day tomorrow, (Friday) then travelling on Saturday to Brands Hatch for another trackday on Sunday. Goodwood on the 1st sounds good to me, but need to check with the boss and I'll get back to you. 

The 2ZR is a 1.8l engine bought in from Toyota as such, no capacity enlarging at Hethel.

@baronbennyt I might try to schedule a Goodwood visit to co-incide with one of yours, as my usual days with Harwoods there are prohibitively expensive this year.

30 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

The 2ZR is a 1.8l engine bought in from Toyota as such, no capacity enlarging at Hethel.

@baronbennyt I might try to schedule a Goodwood visit to co-incide with one of yours, as my usual days with Harwoods there are prohibitively expensive this year.

Frustratingly, it looks like Goodwood has put up its prices everywhere. Their own track days are bloody expensive too! Still, hope you can make one. Would be great to meet up. 

• Like 1

I believe this is the reason Bell & Colvill are no longer using them too. 

yeah, they have gone up as they now include the food option - bacon sarnie on arrival and lunch. 

I am now booked onto the 1st June day - you guys fancy it? @Arun_D @Colin67

Looking forward to it.

@BatMobile Ah no, the days I did have always had brekkie & lunch included in the Jackie Stewart Pavillion anyway. I don't expect the price to still be the £150 I paid when Harwoods first started doing them in 2013 I think, but to go from £290 to £390 from last year to now is too much for me. I always enjoyed taking their dealership demos (Audi, Bentley, JLR, Aston) out for a road appraisal in between my track sessions, but not for that price!

thats a hell of a jump isnt it - wow. 

if i knew the previous price it would be hard to justify when nothing seems to have been added! 

it better be a good day with relatively low numbers of cars......

My first track day of the year will be at Castle Combe with ‘Lotus on Track’ on 20 April. I’ve never been on a track day with Lotus on Track. What’s their reputation like? 

I’m pretty nervous about the noise limit for 20 April as well but their event is half the price of Goodwood so worth a punt....

I would say their reputation is excellent. Decent numbers (as in not overcrowded), well behaved and brilliant value. Personally I don't do too many with them as I like to see a bit more variety of machinery on my trackdays, but you should have no concerns. Actually I'm booked on two of them this year, Hethel in April and Spa in July.

26 minutes ago, baronbennyt said:

What’s their reputation like?

As Arun says, it's excellent. 

Would agree.. people are a bit weird though  (ONLY KIDDING!!)  seriously though, great people and all good enthusiasts who in my experience want to have fun. Driving standards generally better than other days.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Neal H said:

@Arun_D Arun, which companies do you typically use?

Opentrack, Javelin, Ringweekends (Destination Nurburgring), LoT and new for me this year, Circuit Days (also excellent reputation)