free hit
counters
External alloy trim - brushed or polished? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
smash

External alloy trim - brushed or polished?

My Elite trim is brushed but some pics I've seen the trim looks polished.

Am I seeing things or were they available polished and brushed?

Got some water marks to scotch brite but before I do just thought I'd ask!

Edited by smash

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The trim was polished then anodised which reduces the shine but makes it more durable to the elements if the car is outside alot. This makes fixing scratches in it difficult since, if the anodising is scratched, which is why it needs fixing I guess, then the exposed aluminium underneath will polished to a different brightness and you will still see the scratch. 

To fix this back to factory the trim has to be removed, which will involve removing the rear quarter windows, the anodising stripped, repolished and then refitted. The windscreen trim is the deal breaker here since it is hard to get hold of. 

I went down this route and have left it unanodised since I will paint it with brass laquer to stop it from oxidising.

A cheaper route and less hassle would be to scotch Brits it in situ to give the brushed aluminium look which would improve the appearance of old trim without too much hassle but is not factory! You would probably need to remove the anodising with sandpaper first. You might be able to repolished in situ but reanodised would be out of the question unless removed.

Thanks for info- trim has been quite nicely brushed in the past so rather than take it off I'l go down scotch brite route I think. It' nowhere near standard anyway lol!

If correct I take it yours is the air ride pink panther - if so the PO brushed the trim to hide the multitude of scratches from his PO.