free hit
counters
selling my Esprit S2 already!! ?? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
williamtherebel

selling my Esprit S2 already!! ??

Hi Guys, Badly need you help! As some of you may be aware I have just  importered an 100% original Esprit S2. 48000 miles on the clock, Original paint, interior etc been in the same family since the 1980's. but hasn't been driven for 30 years so needs work to get it back on the road. (which I was quite looking forward to). However I really wanted a S1. Now 1 has come up but I would need to sell the S2 to finance it. Its another Federal car (Left hand drive) and I would need to go through the importing procedure again. The S1 is driving and looks in good condition. However it is NOT matching numbers (mine is) so is not 100% original as mine is. So what do I do? Sell the S2 and get the car I really want even though it is not as original or stick with what Ive got? 

04-2.jpg

1b.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bugger.  Good luck!  I'd need therapy in your position.  Is there a scenario that sees you keeping both, even for a while?

If you really want an S1, then thats the one to go for. 

:) 

If the S1 is the car you really want then that's the one to go for but that S1 has the wrong wheels on it. A full set of the original Wolfrace wheels are not going to be easy to find. The fact that it's not matching numbers doesn't make it any less desirable in my book. Matching numbers really only matters in the world of e-types and the like where it can affect that value by a large amount.

Chris Evans's old RHD white Esprit was for sale on a German site a while back for £35k which is cheap for a RHD car.

Edited by Paul Coleman

The question you've got to ask yourself is why you prefer the S1 over the S2, or any other Esprit.

As stated above, by yourself and others, the Federal S1 isn't perfect.

In my mind, design-wise, federal Esprits aren't as good as original UK Esprits, but I don't know your what you're looking for. Certainly, the value of federal Esprits are far from original UK cars. I would be seeking an original UK S1 or S2 if I were you.

Having made the decision to import an S2 I'd stick with it. Federal S1's come up all the time, and a more complete one would be preferable to the white one featured in your post. Besides, off loading a LHD S2 is not going to be easy.

Hi Guys thanks for all your comments. I should have said that the White S1 will come with a set of original Wolfrace wheels. The cost of the car is £17,500. So added on to that, the cost of shipping,  taxes etc add on another £2500 and its working out around £20,000. So do you think I could get one cheaper?? All this might be immaterial anyway, if as David says I have difficulty in offloading the S2. Decisons, decisions!!

Without doubt you will, but that depends on the price you want for it. There are very good RHD S2s for sale right now. Dealers advertise them for between £25-32,000. So you'll be looking at quite a bit less than that. Especially if your S2 is not Euro spec ie bumpers, carbs etc.

I looked at a very original, but Federal S1 in June 2016. It went for US$20,000 so your potential purchase seems a reasonable deal. Possibly. It all depends upon what you want, the condition of the car, restored or original, and the amount of work you want to do on it post purchase.

As a guide, over the past 18 months US S1s have been topping out at US$36,000 with the last, a very original example, selling at US$26,200. A partly restored S1 failed to sell at US$24,000. Suggesting that (US) buyers prefer either well restored or original examples.

I think Lotus made the S2, because it's a better car. That said, of course the s1 is the original one. Lhd is as desireable as rhd in my book. Since I don't give a toss for e-types, I'd say matching numbers on any car, is a plus for me. A different engine for example, raises a lot of questions in my mind, wondering why.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Bugger.  Good luck!  I'd need therapy in your position.  Is there a scenario that sees you keeping both, even for a while?

I wish!! I really do. But then I would have lots of Lots (If you get my drift!)LOTuS.

Many US Esprit S1s had there engines replaced by dealers under warranty. So a non-matching numbers car is quite common.

US buyers prefer matching number cars, especially GM/Ford muscle cars etc. And more descerning collectors of desirable classics elsewhere.

A LHD version of a RHD car will always be worth less in the UK.

As @TAR said, if you wanted an S1 that's what you should have bought. They come along, even RHD ones if you look hard enough and are patient.

Edited by Fridge

6 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Without doubt you will, but that depends on the price you want for it. There are very good RHD S2s for sale right now. Dealers advertise them for between £25-32,000. So you'll be looking at quite a bit less than that. Especially if your S2 is not Euro spec ie bumpers, carbs etc.

I looked at a very original, but Federal S1 in June 2016. It went for US$20,000 so your potential purchase seems a reasonable deal. Possibly. It all depends upon what you want, the condition of the car, restored or original, and the amount of work you want to do on it post purchase.

As a guide, over the past 18 months US S1s have been topping out at US$36,000 with the last, a very original example, selling at US$26,200. A partly restored S1 failed to sell at US$24,000. Suggesting that (US) buyers prefer either well restored or original examples.

Hi David,  Many thanks for your thoughtful appraisal.I would be looking for around £15,000. for the S2 and if I list it that is what the starting price would be. That is what I have spent on the cost of the car plus the costs of shipping, taxes, fees etc So of course this figure is what I need to put towards paying for the S1. Seeing as the red S2 that was on eBay recently went for £7000. (albeit with the Rover engine etc) this might be a tall order! However if it doesn't happen that's ok. I am still happy with my S2 and will do it up as I originally planned. Cheers. 

• Like 1

That's a fair price from looking at the photo. I doubt you'd wait too long for a buyer. Though I'm not totally aware of none top end or LHD S2 prices in the UK.

Certainly UK Sportscars are failing to shift their LHD S1s at the top end of the market. Bizarrely for a regular dealer they have completely misjudged the market in S1s. Greed I guess.

That £7,000 S2 is a wreck, with lots of money needed to bring it up to even a reasonable condition. Far in excess of its current worth IMO (I'm currently completely restoring a RHD S1). Making yours a more attractive proposition, if your potential buyer doesn't mind, or prefers a LHD car.

If I were you I'd cut your teeth on the S2 whilst advertising it for sale, with a view to purchasing an S1 as soon as funds allow. Either this white one, or another that will surely come along. Federal S1s were being advertised monthly up until 12 months ago, recently slowing to every 3 months it seems.

Edited by Fridge

William,

Have you considered offering the S2 in part exchange for the S1?  If the S1 is for sale through a dealer, they will more than likely offer you a deal.

A full set of Wolfrace slot mags is a rare thing and must be worth a quarter of the price of that S1 at this stage.

It would make sense to sell Your S2 abroad.

The prize of the LHD Esprit in the rest of the Europe is much higher than the RHD and there are not many available.

Should not be too hard to find a buyer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, giorgetto said:

William,

Have you considered offering the S2 in part exchange for the S1?  If the S1 is for sale through a dealer, they will more than likely offer you a deal.

A full set of Wolfrace slot mags is a rare thing and must be worth a quarter of the price of that S1 at this stage.

Folk over estimate the value of these Wolfrace wheels, as if they are rarer than the Arc of the Covenant.

They are tricky to track down, with some owners hording them as if for Lotus armageddon, but £3,500 for a set? Come on.

Ekku is right. Advertise it in Europe. With the crappy £ exchange rate buying from the UK is good value for Euro-folk and quite a few cars are leaving our shores because of it. Bonus that it's LHD too.

I'd keep the S2 if it was me but then I am biased.

Pete

2 hours ago, Fridge said:

Folk over estimate the value of these Wolfrace wheels, as if they are rarer than the Arc of the Covenant.

They are tricky to track down, with some owners hording them as if for Lotus armageddon, but £3,500 for a set? Come on.

Ok, fair enough, perhaps not quite so much but they must be worth more than S2 Speediness in the classifieds which are on at 2k?

Anyway, back on topic.  Best of luck William with whatever you decide to do.  

There are a lot of Esprit fans in mainland Europe so a Car and Classic or Pistonhead ad. may give you the best exposure 

25 minutes ago, giorgetto said:

Ok, fair enough, perhaps not quite so much but they must be worth more than S2 Speediness in the classifieds which are on at 2k?

Anyway, back on topic.  Best of luck William with whatever you decide to do.  

There are a lot of Esprit fans in mainland Europe so a Car and Classic or Pistonhead ad. may give you the best exposure 

As I said, folk over estimate their value. I bought a full set of Wolfrace wheels for less than £2,000 (US$2,700).

As Public Enemy said, don't believe the hype.

You must be bonkers,  your yellow S2 looks stunning such a shame to let it go already.

• Like 1

I'm with Dan on this, I much prefer the S2 - especially with the black sills.

12 hours ago, giorgetto said:

William,

The S1 is from a private seller that needs the space as he's moving. We had been in correspondence on another matter and I had purchased something else off him. Then we got talking about his S1.