free hit
counters
912 engine with s1 4spd box? Spigot bearing difference? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mark Wainwright

912 engine with s1 4spd box? Spigot bearing difference?

hi all, 

Im going by lotusbits on the weekend to grab an engine for my s1 eclat, the original is going to come out for a rebuild and i`m swapping in a good one from lotusbits whilst i do the work.   i was after a 2.2, but chatting to the guys over there, theyre not sure if itl work with the trans as they dont have a 4 speed box to check, due to the moved spigot bearing as to whether the input shaft is long enough to sit correctly.

ive replaced spigot bearings on my mustang (using bread!) but is the diameter the same for the 912 and 907 bearings?     i guess they may not be interchangeable?  anyone know? 

cheers,
Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Did you say using bread? Please explain!:huh:

3 minutes ago, mikeeech said:

Did you say using bread? Please explain!:huh:

haha. yes..   you get some soft white bread, stuff it into the hole of the bearing, and then with a snugly fitting round bar, hammer the bread... add more bread and hammer until the bearing is forced out..  cleaner than grease, probably dont use granary.

Edited by Mark Wainwright
  • Like 1

Wet little bits of mashed/shredded newspaper work also,   pulp that bearing out under hydrolic force :P

• Like 1