free hit
counters
DAB add on unit - electrical conection - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nelly

DAB add on unit - electrical conection

I am about to install a TUE-DAB1U add on unit to my Alpine INE-W920r, because struggling with the reversing camera wasn't enough grief!

Dash is out, so I have already removed the redundant bluetooth unit and will be removing the redundant GPS unit that went with the car's original Alpine unit.

Looking to make the connections for the new DAB unit - is there any reason why I can't use one of the old redundant units power connections?  For some reason though the unit also has a green cable marked "parking" - why would a DAB unit have this?

I don't really understand car electrics so any help would be appreciated.  I can post a photo of the unit if required.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

‘Parking’ brake?

Why would I need to connect the DAB to the parking brake though?  I may as well connect it to my toaster!  I am sure there must be some rules on how electrics work (other than the obvious live/iginition/earth - I get that) but the instructions all assume you have a basic knowledge of how it all works. 

The parking brake connection is to stop you watching videos etc while driving, a legal requirement.  However normally they require a ground to allow the stereo to work (of when the handbrake is on). Often it's just easier to permanently ground it than mess about. 

Gav 

Thanks Gavin, I couldn't figure otherwise why you would need to do this!

Anyway, I had an old school friend reply to a plea for help on Facebook - a Ford technician, and all the wiring is now done and its in!  Just got to put the interior in now...

• Like 1

which ariel did you get and where did you put it?

I've found it to be pretty rubbish to be honest , and have good DAB reception in my area.