free hit
counters
Front hub mod - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Front hub mod

Hi all

I have a problem with my front wheels (5 stud Comps) and center caps.  I have discovered the front plastic center caps where not attached properly and actually can not be due to the design of the wheel and hubs.  Whilst I have the wheels split I need to find a solution.

Solution 1: At present the front hub protrudes through the center of the wheel almost to the front.  See picture.  To fit black Compomotive black caps I have to either install a 6/7mm wheel spacer, which i don't really like, to give space for the black cap that clips to the inside of the wheel center hole or I machine the hub a little to give space.  See 1st picture.

Solution 2: I have some nice shiney metal caps that really I would prefere on the car.  These are the common type that push into the wheel from the back and then splay out to stop them coming all the way through.  To fit these I will need to machine 0.6mm from the I/D of the wheel center but also about 2mm from the hub diameter on the bit shown in red on the pictures.  

Can anyone see any reason why If I machined 2mm off the hub as per the picture I would cause myself a problem?  i can not believe I will be affecting the strength in any significant way.  

Many thanks for any input.

Phil

IMG_7606.JPG

Front hub 2.JPG

Front hub 3.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't do this but...

That part of the hub is what carries the weight of the car onto the wheels. The wheel bolts only keep the wheel attached to it, they dont offer any real support. Reducing the OD will mean the wheels are not a tight fit.

:) 

2mm reduction on that area will make no difference to the strength of the hub imo.  Plenty of meat will still remain after the machine shop turns it down on a lathe,     As long as the end result is within spec, including the spinned alloy centre cap to take up the slack so it makes it hub centric. 

Basically the part of the hub you have pictured for the modifaction makes the wheel hub centric,  i.e when the car is on its wheels this part takes the strain of the wheel nuts/studs vertically.  a lot of old cars are not even hub centric and rely on the wheel bolts to take all the strain.  

Also recheck the total diameter at different areas around the circumference as your hub may of been hit by a hammer a few times over the years or caught when putting wheels on/off and burred the edge,  As of memory the hubs should be 70mm on the esprit ?

Get those hubs down the machine shop :thumbup:

It is not at all advisable to eliminate hub-centric function of the hubs. Reduce the depth of the hub nose, perhaps, but how to ensure the wheels are vibration free once they are no longer locked in concentricity with the hubs?

Steve,  

This hub set up if Phil reduces the hub size will be hub centric,  as the spinned alloy wheel centres that he will fit after the mod act as spigot rings on the compomotive alloy wheels :)    Exactly the same way as plastic or alloy custom spigot rings are used in todays aftermarket alloy wheel fitment. 

Hence no vibrations as the comp alloy spigot takes up the gap betwwen the hub and actual alloy wheel. 

My reference to old cars not been hub centric was merely to show that years ago they did not worry about it :)

Understand about the hub centric and the centre taking the strain......hours of discussion in the pub last night but once the bolts are in they would surely align the wheel centrally anyway?

Hi  Phil,

Yes they would align the wheel but this is not the problem regarding the hub been hub sentric,    It would align the wheel, but can be subject to movement that can not on cause vibrations but also the strain can snap the wheel bolts due to way to much vertical load put on them,  imagine hitting a pot hole at speed without the hub part touching the inner bore hole of the alloy wheel,  add to that the fatigue on the wheel bolts after various miles etc. 

Your Mod regarding turning it down 2mm is fine,  However when you refit the wheel, you must measure the gap between the hub flange and the actual hole in the alloy wheel,  lets say it is 1.5mm or 2mm,  you must ensure that the comp wheel centre is 1.5mm or 2mm etc accordingly.   As this will act as a spigot ring, basically it makes sure there is no gap between the metal hub and alloy wheel.  Hence been hub centric,  thus avoiding potential snapped wheel bolts and loosing a road wheel :)

Basically your Spinned alloy compomotive centre cap will work as a spigot ring to ensure the wheel is hub centric

IMG_20140718_153537.jpg.904349ea4e638320799111d80273aa6d.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Brilliant Dan. What ever I do I will ensure the hub spigot is suitably sized with the wheel to ensure the loads are taken up. Will have another look at it all today to see if I can come up with a good and workable solution.