free hit
counters
Recon engine first time start - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PAUL GURNEY

Recon engine first time start

Hi all

The engine on my GT3 has is all back together and everything connected and back in place.

Now here is the question, what do I need to do or know before I turn the key.

Any tips or procedures would be appreciated no mater how important or anal they are.

Cheers Paul 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Make sure the oil coolers and lines are full of oil ( they hold quite a lot).

Fire extinguisher ( big one)  by your right hand.

Maybe crank it over with no ignition until the oil pressure is up.  Check whilst doing this as if cooler lines are not totally full you could dump a lot of oil into them out of the sump.

Good torch to look in to the depths of the engine bay and large cardboard box spread out under the bay so you can see any drops of oil or coolant.

Probably another  pair of eyes to franticly run about checking as well as yours.

Cheers Malcolm

Yes I think the oil is my biggest issue, one of the blokes at Lotusbits advised me they use a toothed pulley wheel mounted on an electric drill with a belt to the oil pump. And run this to circulate oil around the system. Also to keep a close eye on the water pump seal.

As the engine has not been run for 5 years I have also emptied the tanks, and will use some fresh fuel and add an injector cleaner.     

And have extra mixed and ready for use coolant, as I guess if it's been apart, you'll need to take the wir out of the system.

So, let's see a video of the star(-t) ;)

If I start up an engine after Winter storage or disassembling or reassembly, I keep a fire extinguisher close.

Kind regards,

Jacques

Cheers Bibs

I was looking to hard at that and thought it was technical thing I had not heard about:blush:   

• Like 1

Sorry, but I just don't see the misspelling or typos as I write them, but only later when it's too late. A bit annoying that I cannot correct them, but you never know, maybe wir is something special? ;) Oh well, air will be in the system, and I take it, you already know the procedure for venting the system.

Did you prelube the cams and followers and filled the oilfilter and possibly circulated some oil as per the others comments?

Have a close eye on anything in relation to the fuel system, as it's been empty for so long time, that things may (doesn't necessarily have to, though) have dried out and may leak. Pump and moreover the fuel pressure regulator (fpr, sits at the end of the fuel rail towards the rear of the car) may also become a bit quirky. Be also aware of the sealing between the fuel supply line and the fuel rail. As some have mentioned in other threads, if you experience strange behavior after the engine has been started and warmed up and most systems running reliably, you may take a look on the fuelpump itself. It's been described many times that sensors etc. were changed but errors persisted, and ultimately, it was a bad fuelpump (in right hand side tank). Have fun!

Just my two p,

Jacques