free hit
counters
Bespoking a Used 380 Sport - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tex

Bespoking a Used 380 Sport

I am Looking to purchase a used 380 Sport but  not seeing anything for sale that has the full spec I would prefer.

In light of this I will consider  buying an exterior colour I like with the Carbon Pack and do a bit of customising 

So has anyone had any of these retro fitted and what where the costs and results 

Carbon Fibre Sill Covers

Interior Colour Coding Pack 

Titanium Exhaust

Nitrons

Not aiming to do any performance enhancing initially but would like to track it, so is the Titanium Exhaust the way to go for tracks like Bedford or would it still be too loud 87db drive by

Tex

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have a look at @GFWilliams’s thread. There has been plenty of bespoke custom work done on his Exige. 

Oh, re noise, I’m pretty sure that the 380 uses the same exhaust as the Evora 400. The 400 noise rests at 109dB (so is pretty useless for most UK tracks). I don’t think that you’ll get a 380 on Bedford with an OEM exhaust. 

Don’t get a Lotus exhaust if you want to go on track... 

Thanks for the reply 

Yes saw the work done on the Yellow V6s and it looks very good. 

Had a chat with Martin at The Beaconsfield Workshop who can do interior paint spray work to do the colour coding. But Maybe  need to get the Carbon sills from Lotus though and have to take out a second mortgage for the privilege !!!

Looks like track days will be very expensive with the standard exhaust as other then Silverstone and a few others most are well under the 380’s sound track 

Will have to consider an aftermarket Titanium one, although seems jury is out on what delivers the power with a reasonable noise level

Tex

Please don’t let Lotus legally rob you for the privilege of buying their parts! Look to aftermarket for the sills.

Forget a ti exhaust there isn’t one for a reasonable price nor UK track compliant (general day dB limits). You will need the QT exhaust as @Bravo73 has given. This is the only trusted exhaust I am aware of which will get you on most UK track days.

My Nitrons will be off for a service in the coming weeks then available for sale as I’m moving to Ohlins. 

How many track days are you looking to do a year? 

Probably only a handful and mainly use Silverstone, Bedford and Will try Rockingham this year.

The car is mainly road use actually 

As others have said the Ti exhaust is an easy way to rob you of £5.5k and make sure you can't get on a track - its really not worth it.

CF sills, you can get after market for less than £400, but not quite as low by about 15mm. My last one on an s2 go they kept getting the PPF film scratched so needed replacing often. Saying that I had alcantara sills for 2 years / 50k miles and everyone said they would be destroyed in weeks and looked as good as new when I got rid - just needed a brush!

Nitrons, it depends on what you want. There is a nice set of Ohlins in the classifieds which might be worth it. I'd give hoffmans a call to see what they recommend. But the Lotus fit ones have limited adjustability so you would end up getting an Lotus fitted ones revalved, so certainly not loosing out

Colour pack would be cheap enough, but not sure how hard the harness holes are to get out. The rest would take about 20 mins to take out and get down the spray shop

Found out earlier that Elise-shop. Com do them for £360 and also Eltech.

Both look a similar weave to the factory ones so will probably take a punt on them to complete the CF theme but was surprised that the Elise shop quote as weighing 15 kg for the pair but Eltech say 5kg each. Will need to check as at 98kg myself I need every bit of help 

Decided to scratch the Ti Exhaust idea and will look at Hanger 111’s offering as does appear to be an expensive way to still not be able to get on track 

Ohlins seem to be more track focussed or are they a good compromise. Don’t want to be quicker than the GT3’s but do want to be quicker than the MX5 brigade 

i think the electric switch surround maybe the trickiest , also looking to get the exterior mirror surrounds body coloured as have always preferred the V6 S look to the 350/380’s

31 minutes ago, Tex said:

Found out earlier that Elise-shop. Com do them for £360 and also Eltech.

Both look a similar weave to the factory ones so will probably take a punt on them to complete the CF theme but was surprised that the Elise shop quote as weighing 15 kg for the pair but Eltech say 5kg each. Will need to check as at 98kg myself I need every bit of help 

Decided to scratch the Ti Exhaust idea and will look at Hanger 111’s offering as does appear to be an expensive way to still not be able to get on track 

Ohlins seem to be more track focussed or are they a good compromise. Don’t want to be quicker than the GT3’s but do want to be quicker than the MX5 brigade 

i think the electric switch surround maybe the trickiest , also looking to get the exterior mirror surrounds body coloured as have always preferred the V6 S look to the 350/380’s

Based on the number of track days your talking of a year Nitrons 1-Way would be fine, 3-Ways a nice luxury.

For the odd trackday here and there, start off with the standard suspension and see how you get on. Then think about some basic Nitrons, but from what you've said I can't envisage you needing anything too trick, it'll be money better spent on fuel/more trackdays.

Thanks for all the input.

So no Ti Exhaust and will see how it handles on track before deciding whether suspension needs upgrade 

So have decided to go with the CF Sills but undecided whether to use the Elise-shop or Eltech. Did notice Elise also have CF canards and side pods , can you have too much Carbon !!!!

Interior to be reviewed but as bodywork is green and interior stitching yellow may stick with the yellow 

Also has anyone had the exterior mirror surrounds sprayed body colour , 

You will find the standard set up, as mentioned, very good.

i had no complaints on the suspension, it was really very good however the pirelli tyres are a totally different question; I found them poor. I would spend the money on some Michelin or Avon tyres - assuming the 380 has the same as the 350 from factory!

380 comes with Michelin Sport Cup 2 tyres:thumbup:

Yes it has the Michelin’s pilot cup 2’s with 215’s on the front and 265’s rear . I think they are an excellent tyre so not looking to change those ,

Would like to give it a bit of spruce up visually.

Looking at Kawasaki green as have a Kawasaki Jet ski I raced years ago in an identical colour 

Boss colour the Kawasaki... ???????

• Like 1

Well Picked Up Exige today and no doubt the performance is far superior to my V6 S but also far noisier.

Not sure what the official Lotus colour is but it’s Kawasaki Green to most people.

Looked at both a 380 Cup and 430 Cup while having a cuppa and added to my list of customisation.

Stripes possibly !!!!

Like the 380 style with flaring out or do I go 430’straight and do the roof ??

4268FA03-A5F0-4AA3-9766-FCDBFED586F5.jpeg

A6B68C34-7C48-4EFF-B75B-9CB13DCA5CF4.jpeg

EFEB65EE-672F-4A1F-9A97-425D5A1A8FC6.jpeg

I’d say green straight stripes through to roof Colin like the yellow 430 Cup you’ve pictured. I thought about getting them for my Fire Red 380 Sport but then changed my mind. They suit the brighter coloured Exiges better........looks like it’s trying to be a 380Cup with the stripes above on the orange 380 Sport.

Yes agree , I like the 430 Stripes over the 380 cup.

Didn’t notice previously but the 380’s don’t have the Lotus badge on top of the engine and manifold isn’t black, unlike my V6S , strangely.

Booked Silverstone Track day for next Sunday so hoping to see how much quicker it laps over my V6S

2 hours ago, Tex said:

Didn’t notice previously but the 380’s don’t have the Lotus badge on top of the engine and manifold isn’t black, unlike my V6S , strangely.

Not true, mine does.  I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the rear , as was also expecting the cost saving features to be in place.   Bizarre  

Yep, depends when u got the car. Early 380s did, later ones didn’t, newer ones do... work that out.... 

cheers

Well it’s a May 2017 so not one of the first.

Must say nothing surprises you with Lotus but would have preferred a black manifold with the Lotus badge. Only consolation is you can’t see it through the Carbon rear engine cover.

1 hour ago, Tex said:

Well it’s a May 2017 so not one of the first.

Must say nothing surprises you with Lotus but would have preferred a black manifold with the Lotus badge. Only consolation is you can’t see it through the Carbon rear engine cover.

I think this has been recognised by Lotus and the reason they are now producing new cars with the black cover and badge - was pleasantly surprised when I saw this added to mine. However more importantly mine also still comes with the valve open/close button that isn’t on the 430 models......that could have been a deal breaker but thankfully it’s there as I got a wee look through the window the other day just after it had been delivered.:thumbup: 

1B6575A1-987D-4CE7-ABB5-A8953C86650D.jpeg

Hmmmm.... wonder if they will start re-fitting all the CF they removed too?

cheers

7 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Hmmmm.... wonder if they will start re-fitting all the CF they removed too?

cheers

Yeah had a go about that to - cost saving apparently. Funny I never saw tha saving reflected on my invioice. Removal of the carbon diffuser edge was a stupid decision whoever made it