free hit
counters
Painting repairs lotus elite, glassfibre - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie

Painting repairs lotus elite, glassfibre

Before a professional respray looking to tidy some obvious bad areas to make the car more presentable after a period off the road. Pro respray will be prep and spray so what I do now can be small areas and probably not that good. My question is I understand not to take down to gel coat so starting on a faded paint area what p grit would give a satisfactory smoothness to spray over. I assume wet and dry perhaps p2500. Or higher. Sensitive as glass fibre body and lower resistance so any prior experience appreciated. Easy answer is wait for full respray but some Months of shakedown first and touch up would be nice.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Robbie,

Welcome to TLF - we need pictures!

I know its tempting to make it look pretty, but I'd urge you to put it off till later. Moisture is the enemy when spraying glassfibre. It gets trapped underneath, then freezes, expands and gives you those lovely little blisters all over your paintwork.

Its winter time, its miserable weather, and you shouldn't even contemplate spraying below 14 degrees C. Unless you have an oven, crack on with the spannering and leave the paint until better weather, and although it is possible to spray fibreglass yourself, its probably best left to a pro. I once leant my compressor and gun to a friend with a scimitar, and it looked great until the freeze arrived, then it all lifted off. Admittedly, we didn't really know what we were doing and didn't have an in-line dryer, but I'd urge you to use a pro with an oven for getting the body dry before its painted.

100% agree with Duncs comments. These need time to dry out properly before and in between every coat of paint otherwise get ready to start counting blisters.

• Like 1

P1200 to p2000 would be wet sanding of paint for t cut and polishing. If I remember rightly the spray shop that did my car was using 400 wet since, less would mean the paint would peel.