free hit
counters
Newby SR owner and exhaust! - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
pete757

Newby SR owner and exhaust!

Hi Guys,

New and 'first post' on here! But have been reading for weeks... what a great forum! 

I am a long time Elise/Exige owner, but have just passed the button on buying a MY14 Sports Racer NA in Ardent red! Love it!

Had some photos take of the underside and I am wondering if the exhaust that can be seen on the attached photos is 'Lotus Standard' or is 'aftermarket'? There appears to be a 'plate' welded to the side of the down-pipe which is a bit reminiscent of a Janspeed sports exhaust that I had on my first S1 Exige!

Evora_exhaust._2.jpg

Exhaust_pipes_2.jpg

Any thoughts welcomed!

Cheers, 

Pete. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi and welcome Pete - Janspeed do make the Evora exhausts for Lotus so that looks to be standard to me :)

Rats! I was hoping it may have been an 'aftermarket' version!

Pretty keen to release all that N/A power with better induction and exhaust... I gather 300BHP or so is quite possible!

Cheers,

Peter. 

42 minutes ago, pete757 said:

Pretty keen to release all that N/A power with better induction and exhaust... I gather 300BHP or so is quite possible!

Here is a good place to start looking:

http://www.hangar111.com/shop/komo-tec-lotus-tuning/612-komo-tec-evora-v6-phase-1-ev300.html

However, that ‘system’ uses the stock intake with a slightly improved K&N filter. You might be able to release a few more BHP by improving the airflow with an even bigger intake. (There are a few ITG based options on the market, although they might be for the SC engine only). Maybe @Hangar 111 could comment?

Cheers for that!

Has anyone on here had this kit fitted? I would be interested in user experience comments! :)

3 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Here is a good place to start looking:

http://www.hangar111.com/shop/komo-tec-lotus-tuning/612-komo-tec-evora-v6-phase-1-ev300.html

However, that ‘system’ uses the stock intake with a slightly improved K&N filter. You might be able to release a few more BHP by improving the airflow with an even bigger intake. (There are a few ITG based options on the market, although they might be for the SC engine only). Maybe @Hangar 111 could comment?

Thanks Jonny.

Would need to check on the mapping situation with KT, but fairly sure something could be sorted out to include the carbon CAI setup with the EV300 kit.

Dave

Thanks Dave. This sounds interesting!

Look forward to further information.

Cheers,

Pete. 

Hi Guys,

So on the back of replies and trawling through the various options, I have narrowed things down to possibly replacing the backbox!

So my MY14 Evora NA should already have the de-cat. Plus the switchable 'sports' exhaust by Lotus (Janspeed)

I would love to get a bot more '400' esk sound out of the N/A engine, so what options do peeps think will offer the best of 'sound' with the valve open/pushing on, whilst retaining quietness when touring with SWMBO!

1: Leave it with the OEM Lotus backbox... sounds great in 'Sport mode'!

2: Larini (impressive videos on their webpage with the Evora options)

3: 2ubular (cannot work out from Jim's website which is the correct option!??)

4: Komotech system. 

Does anyone have first hand experience with this 'dilemma' on an NA?

Cheers! Pete 

Unfortunately, you will struggle to get a ‘400 sound’ out of an NA or an S. All of the options listed will certainly change the sound both in volume and/or tone. 

1. Your cheapest option, obviously. 

2. @Bruss has got a Larini backbox on his S.

3. @bosshog has got the valved 2bular on his S. I’ve not heard it personally but with the valve shut it’s quite quiet. With the valve open, it’s antisocial. No further comment re the company itself. :censored:

4. I’ve got the KT system on my S. With just the backbox, the tone definitely changed. However, like with most Evora systems, it’s actually quite hard to tell from the driver’s seat. Definitely sounds much better from outside the car. 

So, unfortunately, all 3 of those are obviously on SC cars. Maybe not much help for your NA. :blush:

Thanks mate for the feedback.

I guess the 'noise' etc is a lot different form the N/A to the 'S'... so I would love to hear from NA drivers who have made this move!?

Thanks,

Pete :>)

I don’t think that the noise is that different between an NA & an S. The volume of airflow through the two systems isn’t that different. 

This is my NA with Alunox stainless silencer, valve open then valve closed.

I went 2bular non valved and very happy with the choice.  

However if you are looking for power then headers seem to make much more of a difference as they remove the first set of cats, does mean that you need make sure you have a good main cat to pass emission tests  

7 hours ago, Bibs said:

This is my NA with Alunox stainless silencer, valve open then valve closed.

Nice! I have not heard of 'Alunox' systems. Those tail pipes look great! :>)

Just googled them... what an amazing company! I wonder why they fly under the radar on here and other Lotus forums! 

Edited by pete757
More!

7 minutes ago, pete757 said:

I wonder why they fly under the radar on here and other Lotus forums! 

They have only just released their systems (with the help of @Bibs). 

But watch out for their prices... 

Beautifully made however, yikes! Just seen their prices! :o

Here's an in-car video of my NA fitted with a 2bular valved backbox - shot with valve open but windows closed as it was March and freezing!

• Like 1

........and another taken at a speed event, again with the windows closed but with a bit more 'commitment' from the driver, :whistle:.

(First post in the thread is the one you want)

46 minutes ago, Alfa2Evora said:

........and another taken at a speed event, again with the windows closed but with a bit more 'commitment' from the driver, :whistle:.

(First post in the thread is the one you want)

Sounds great!

When you say, '(First post in the thread is the one you want)', do you mean keep the OEM system?

8 hours ago, pete757 said:

When you say, '(First post in the thread is the one you want)', do you mean keep the OEM system?

No, he means this is the video that he is referring to:

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2018 at 21:46, pete757 said:

Just googled them... what an amazing company!

Do you like their website? :D

I have the OEM exhaust on my 2012 S and really like it as it is. I must be the odd one out :sofa:

• Like 1

Tim... there is nothing 'odd' about you mate!! :lol:

You know me... I always want a 'bit more' character! Just look at Shrek FFS!

Anyway, ordered the 2ubular and really excited to see/hear Jim's latest creation! 

Will of course report back. B-)

Look fwd to catching up soon bud. 

Cheers, Pete :>)

Well! As promised, a report back. However, the report back is somewhat 'muted'!

Various fitting issues with the 2ubular remained unresolved... Jim had created a great looking new version, with bigger tips at my request. Unfortunately these proved impossible to get fitted correctly and despite valiant efforts by Jim, the problem was not fixable! Pretty gutted really and Jim has now removed the 'valved' option from the Evora N/A line-up... So I am now back to square 1!

Options...

1: Keep the OEM exhaust. It actually sounds pretty good but I know how much better the V6 can sound, especially at high RPM! So;

2: Get the 'KomoTec' backbox.

3: Or the Larini... but concerned about reports of droning...?

4: The Alunox system looks amazing, but the cost rules it out for me

5: Simply Sports Cars (Australia) 'Muffler Kit'... Looks super simple, but no valve and perhaps just too noisey for everyday use?

Anyone on her with either of those systems fitted, I would love to hear feedback please :>). Literally if possible, I am in Hertfordshire.

Cheers guys,

Pete. :>)

What are the problems?  I fitted a non-valved which sounds brilliant and went straight on.