free hit
counters
Lucas 43/45D female nylon rivet/stud/ferrule - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
910Esprit

Lucas 43/45D female nylon rivet/stud/ferrule

As you may have previously discovered yourself, the advance mechanism on the later 43D distributors is retained on the shaft with a tiny female nylon rivet type thing.    Mine is now getting pretty worn out from re-use so I need a new one.   For some reason, they don't appear to be supplied in standard rebuild kits and I can find virtually no reference to them on the internet.   I will try the 'distributor doctor' but in the meantime, has anyone ever successfully purchased one of these?   Or even better does anyone have one lying about as they were forced to purchase 1000 or whatever!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

have you got a picture?

Not noticed this, I have always removed the shaft and advance assy as a unit, I thought it was pressed onto the shaft.

Not my photo, but this is what it looks like.  The Distrinbutor Doctor has sorted me out...

Photo makes it looker bigger than it is, probably no more than 5mm od

For future reference, I wonder if they are 3d printable?

FERREL 1.JPG

Edited by 910Esprit

There are amazingly few photos inside a 43D on the internet, especially where the advance is secured by a nylon cam retainer.  So here's  a few photos of mine.

Cam retainer is picured between circlip & felt oil retainer.   Its pressed into position using the outside tube of a Biro  (see groove on tip of distibutor shaft for its location)

Other pictured nylon items are the locator for the 'rotor' and the spacer/thrust washer for the bottom of the advance mechanism that needs to move in relation to the shaft

You can also see the size of the body O-Ring should you wish to buy your own supply.  These are Nitrile versions, which should be fine for mineral oil and a moderate amount of heat

uc?export=download&id=0BytAhrpcvT9sbnZ5N

uc?export=download&id=0BytAhrpcvT9sdTBBT

uc?export=download&id=0BytAhrpcvT9sM0FzQ

uc?export=download&id=0BytAhrpcvT9sMzRVV

You are right about the lack of pictures. I dont think I have ever seen a picture which shows the oil seal in the bottom of the body of the special horizontal version used on these engines. People who are not familiar with these dont believe its there. They always think you are referring to the large O ring on the outside of the stem when mentioning an oil seal. 

Even the Distributor Doctor guy was pretty uncertain about it and sent me the wrong size. I eventually sourced a correct one elsewhere.

I should have taken a pic of this really.

Here's one... I had to dismantle my dizzy a few times when trying to repair the advance spring plate. Eventually I managed to find a new replacement I could swap in. There must be a limit as to how many times that nylon ferrule/rivet can be reused.

- I hasten to add the dist body is just sitting loosely in a tube in the vice. 

OrigDistRebuild_s.JPG

OrigDistShaft_s.jpg

DismantlingNewActionPlate_s.JPG

Edited by JerryS
  • Like 2

....And I've just been gifted a 'free' new OEM pickup as an Ebayer cannot spell 'distributer'.    Should also make a nice profit selling the remainder of a TVR Lucas NOS Rover V8 distributor, bought for £5.

If you need a replacement, Its worth keeping your eyes open for any Lucas distributors that have an 'M' suffix - Such as 43DM,45DM,35DM 

102_5154.JPG

• Like 1

Would standard distributors have the oil seal though? I believe only the Lotus and a Jag of some kind used the oil seal versions. Not sure how you tell whether it has the seal from the part number.

I know from experience if the oil seal fails quite a lot of oil goes into the distributor cap and leaks out and fills up the block casting recess under the dizzy.

Not sure about the oil seal Andy, I specifically mean the pickup.   But looking at the Lucas catalogue PDF there was nothing to suggest 907 variants are uniquie to Lotus, some part numbers were shared with other vehicles 

if any one sources the correct "o" ring or a rebuild kit pls pm me with info thx rgds steve

16 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Not sure about the oil seal Andy, I specifically mean the pickup.   But looking at the Lucas catalogue PDF there was nothing to suggest 907 variants are uniquie to Lotus, some part numbers were shared with other vehicles 

This is the strange thing.

There is scant info on this oil seal. The pictures on rebuild sites show this is not present in the distributors on other cars. It is present on the Lotus one. Did Lotus counterbore the body and fit the seal? Not sure. 

I spoke to the Distributor Doctor guy on the phone about this and it seemed he was only partially aware of its existence and thought I meant the external O-Ring which of course they all have.

It makes sense that it would not be needed on other cars with the dizzy mounted vertically as oil would need to flow upwards to leak into the cap. But on the 907 with the co-axial oil pump it would be needed. There is no oil seal internally in the auxiliary housing where the drive exits from the rear. There is only one on the front, where the aux pulley is.

24 minutes ago, PilotSteve said:

if any one sources the correct "o" ring or a rebuild kit pls pm me with info thx rgds steve

Steve, if you mean the oil seal I am going on about, to remove it you have to drive out the pin which retains the drive dog, and pull out the entire shaft.

Its worth having a replacement pin on hand from the Distributor Doctor, because the ends of the pin are peened over so to remove it you have to very carefully Dremel one end of the pin before hammering it out with a punch.

I measured the seal and ordered one from a seal place such as Simplybearings. I am not sure if I have a record of the order but I can check back.

well that good info i didnt realise he sold parts thought that would be cutting his own throat, he offered to rebuild but wasnt sure about the seal and think it was 100+ also i was wondering about a dif advance curve ?? again thx so much