free hit
counters
Headlight Replacment - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi All

I need to replace my headlights, 1 outer smashed and the other 3 have rusted reflectors. I see I can get complete replacements from PNM and SJ sell the lamps separately

Any other ideas of where to look?

Cheers Paul.  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The PNM kit comes with stainless steel mounting plates. A bit more work to install, but well worth it.

I  might have some usable spare headlights if you want them? I would need to see their condition and send you a photo. I know the outers are pretty decent but I think the inners are starting to go.

The thing is, that Cibie WHO makes the Esprit headlamps, no longer make the two diferent sizes and versions: concave and convex.

But Cibie do produce headlamps for the Esprit still. After a very long waiting time, around 3 years ago, they made new batches.

What needs to be done with those, are carefully using a file to trim a slight edge around the two smaller holes or cut-outs in the glass fiber light pods. That is: one hole in each pod needs to be enlarged ever so slightly. The original black plastic trim still fits nicely afterwards.

PNM's set are further backed up by stainless mounting plates, and stainless fittings. It's a different system, and headlamps cannot be adjusted as easily after installation. But on the other hand, personally I think it's a nice and more secure system. Since installing a PNM kit on my own car, I've had absolutely no troubles with headlamps and no issues with moving around or similar. Light intensity is very good, and bright, better than some newer cars ;)  I installed 4 new bulbs from philips, some with 90% more light than standard. They Work very well, don't heat up and torch off the reflectors and use exactly the same consumption as ordinary bulbs. I've also tried Osram Nightbreaker, and while they do improve Things, they are not as good as the philips ones.

As a set, I'd recommend both the pnm kit and the philips improved bulbs. For strict originality, one must look elsewhere.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards,

Jacques

I had problems with my headlight adjustment for the MOT and found this kit below on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-FULL-FRONT-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-ADJUSTER-KIT-SCREW-BUSH-CLIP-FULL-KIT/152604841757

If you are able to get replacement lights (and I've seen them cheaply on a number of sites and as commented above) , with some chrome spray it may be sufficient to patch things up. Should you want things back as new or better then the PNM kit would be nice albeit a little costly and difficult to fit I would imagine. 

Never had problems adjusting the headlights with the PNM kit. You just have to remember which screw does the vertical and which the horizontal. You do have to remove the plastic trim, but that's also the case with the standard lights.

I did hear from the guys at PNM that they have great difficulty getting hold of lights with continental cut-off (for LHD cars).

8 hours ago, superdavelotus said:

I  might have some usable spare headlights if you want them? I would need to see their condition and send you a photo. I know the outers are pretty decent but I think the inners are starting to go.

Hi Dave

I might bee interested if i get stuck. i have just asked company for a price to refurbish and resilver my old units.

When i get the price i will put the info up on the forum.

Has any one else had some resilvered ? 

Cheers Paul

If Dave’s lamps don’t suit, I’ve got a complete set of original lights somewhere in the garage, but I’m not sure what state they’re in, or what lamps they are. I bought a stainless set from  Filip a couple of years ago to replace them, but I can have a look at them if you’re interested.

Just now, PAUL GURNEY said:

Hi Ian

open to all avenues to solve me problem

Cheers Paul

OK. But Dave offered first, so see how you get on. I’ll have a look tomorrow in case.

Hi Paul,

Here's a picture of mine, are they any better than yours? Where are you based? I reckon a bit of rust eater on the backs and they'll be pretty usable. If you can pick up you can have them for free.

Regards,

David

IMG_5698.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Their great, my only problem is I'm down here in Gloucestershire. If you could send them to me i am more than willing to give you something for them and pay any costs incurred in getting them to me.

Much appreciated 

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul,

I can't really be bothered to pack them up safely and post them to be honest otherwise I would have sold them. This is why I've offered them to you for free as long as you picked them up or got someone to pick them up for you. I have a lot on my plate at the moment, hope you understand.

Regards,

David

Cheers Dave

Yes I'm still interested, unfortunately i have to go to Italy engine testing for just over a week (its a hard life) so i will try to get an acquaintance who lives up your way to pick them up if that's ok.

Can you PM me your postcode so i can get collection sorted

Cheers Paul 

Hi Paul,

PM sent.

Regards,

David

Hope you guys dont mind the hijack, but I have a piece which 'may' be summat to do with the Esprit, in the box of bits reclaimed from Dads garage...otoh, it could just be a paint tin clamp, but it fits perfectly around the headlamp :-)

Doesnt appear to be in the manual ot the parts list, but it would be nice to know if I have another 3 to find....

Cheers, Dave

IMG_0584.JPG