Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How to buy and pay for a car abroad?? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

How to buy and pay for a car abroad??

williamtherebel

Hi Guys need your expertise again! Ive been in contact with a guy I purchases some stuff off in the past (through eBay) He is offering me his Lotus Esprit S1. So how do you go about buying a car in from a private individual in the States when I'm in the UK? Obviously he doesn't want to send the car before I pay him. I don't what to pay him and hope he sends the car. He suggested going through ebay as a buy it now,  but on checking, eBay or Paypal wont guarantee the payment. Even though it says so on the help pages under Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) apparently its only available in the USA and Canada. Is Escrow the only way to go? At a cost of about $500. is there no cheaper alternative? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I’m affraid you need to take a leap of faith. I just imported a car from Arizona and built up a repor with the guy over the phone and sent him the money. Either that or go to the states to collect to ship. Perhaps a reputable local dealer would except the car for a small margin and then arrange collection from there ? 

• Gold FFM

Hi William,

Is there any member on here that lives nearby that might be able to assist with you going to have a look and act as a middleman possibly?

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I know a Lotus enthusiast/owner who has experience selling cars to Europe.  He is near Philadelphia, PA USA. 

http://taylormadeclassiccars.com/vehiclessold.html

Tell Ted that Atwell sentcha.

Perhaps he would agree to help you for a few dollars.  Might be worth it.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

9 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Thanks, Bibs.  ;)  

William, please send me a private message, I will do my best to help you.   I might know the car or owner, and I've a bit of experience in what you are dealing with.  

- Tony K. 

p.s., don't worry, I won't try to buy it from under you.  

Thanks Tony. Ive have just sent you a message before I read this!. 

35 minutes ago, Bibs said:

@Tony K knows pretty much every S1 in the USA, he might be able to help? :)

thanks Bibs. Ill do that! Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, pete said:

thanks Pete, God it looks complicated. I see how it goes.

3 hours ago, CarBuff said:

I know a Lotus enthusiast/owner who has experience selling cars to Europe.  He is near Philadelphia, PA USA. 

http://taylormadeclassiccars.com/vehiclessold.html

Tell Ted that Atwell sentcha.

Perhaps he would agree to help you for a few dollars.  Might be worth it.

Ive got it touch with him. Ill see what his rely is. Thanks.

Check your private messages.  :) 

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

18 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Hi Guys need your expertise again! Ive been in contact with a guy I purchases some stuff off in the past (through eBay) He is offering me his Lotus Esprit S1. So how do you go about buying a car in from a private individual in the States when I'm in the UK? Obviously he doesn't want to send the car before I pay him. I don't what to pay him and hope he sends the car. He suggested going through ebay as a buy it now,  but on checking, eBay or Paypal wont guarantee the payment. Even though it says so on the help pages under Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) apparently its only available in the USA and Canada. Is Escrow the only way to go? At a cost of about $500. is there no cheaper alternative? 

William there is another way around this .

when I shipped a car from Seattle I used Rinkins shipping and used there escrow account. Basically you pay Rinkens for the car and they pay the seller on collection .

They won’t check the condition of the car but they do check it’s  validity with paperwork and vin tag .

But they do charge for this it’s about £300 from memory.

well worth it I thought for piece of mind

• Like 2

Hi Mark, Yes I used Rinkins to import my S2. They have quoted me $500. (around £360) for their escrow service. As you say probably the way to go for peace of mind. Just wondered if there was another (cheaper way) of doing it. Ive suggested this to the seller and he is going to contact Rinkins himself as well. The seller seems a nice guy and its a shame we live in these untrusting times with so many scam artists about, no-one trusts no-one any more.

Hi Guys, Just to thank you all for your help. All good now. I know what I am going to do. For anyone that's interested I've just listed my S2 on various sites(eBay starting at £15000.) Other sites I've asked more but if it doesn't sell on eBa,y I can reduce the price on the others. Because I started the bidding at  £15000. eBay wanted me to ask for over £22000. as a buy it now! Yes like that's going to happen. (I wish!) 

• Gold FFM

William,

Mark's offer above no good?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:42, ramjet said:

William,

Mark's offer above no good?

I would love to take Mark up on his offer. Sadly I cannot afford anything like the sum he is asking for. Of course that's why I went down the federal route in the first place.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Ah. Ok. Sorry. :blush:

• Gold FFM

I know of two imported S1's that may be for sale and already in the UK. PM me if you want any info.

• 2 weeks later...

@williamtherebel as @CarBuff said Taylor Made are a useful US contact, but he doesn't like sending stuff to the UK. I had to arrange that via my own UK-based shipping company, and it went without hitch. Mine was just parts though.

@johnpwalsh does have a line in US-spec'd S1s. Maybe check out his "stock" as he suggests. I'd suggesting taking on your own restoration though, and conversion to UK/Euro-spec. If you're able to undertake some of the work yourself, or know outfits to do some of the really skilled stuff (paint, engine, gearbox etc).

Pity @lotuseaters yellow S1 is out of your price range. That looks like a decent running example, and largely complete. It's a good match for your yellow S2 too :D 

I can verify that @Tony K (or Tony T, as I prefer to think of him - Goodfellas) is a great source of information on Federal S1s, and very helpful.

Finally, you sound like you have not got the buying the from US sorted now, as you stated. I would suggest a shipping agent that will hold the money in an escrow account. Paid over at collection. Paying extra for a single container (at least not stacked) if the car is in a decent condition.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Fridge

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:49, johnpwalsh said:

I know of two imported S1's that may be for sale and already in the UK. PM me if you want any info.

Hi John Thanks for the offer. However I am committed now to purchasing the one Ive been looking at in the States.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:51, Fridge said:

@williamtherebel as @CarBuff said Taylor Made are a useful US contact, but he doesn't like sending stuff to the UK. I had to arrange that via my own UK-based shipping company, and it went without hitch. Mine was just parts though.

@johnpwalsh does have a line in US-spec'd S1s. Maybe check out his "stock" as he suggests. I'd suggesting taking on your own restoration though, and conversion to UK/Euro-spec. If you're able to undertake some of the work yourself, or know outfits to do some of the really skilled stuff (paint, engine, gearbox etc).

Pity @lotuseaters yellow S1 is out of your price range. That looks like a decent running example, and largely complete. It's a good match for your yellow S2 too :D 

I can verify that @Tony K (or Tony T, as I prefer to think of him - Goodfellas) is a great source of information on Federal S1s, and very helpful.

Finally, you sound like you have not got the buying the from US sorted now, as you stated. I would suggest a shipping agent that will hold the money in an escrow account. Paid over at collection. Paying extra for a single container (at least not stacked) if the car is in a decent condition.

Hope that helps.

Hi David, Many thanks for your suggestions. However after doing a fair bit of checking up and dozens of emails,, I'm as happy as I can be regarding the purchase of the S1 in the States. The guy seems very genuine. The money has been paid and he is keeping me updated regarding the bill of sale, Title etc. He has been in touch with the shippers so hopefully the car will be on its way back to the UK in the near future. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny you should ask today. I've got word this afternoon that the car has just been picked up from the seller (from the Maserati garage that has been doing a fair bit of work on it). I asked him to take some photos for me because I am going to make a photo record of the car as it leaves the USA and gets back to Blighty! Here's one to whet your appetite! I cant wait for it to arrive. 

IMG_1855.JPG

• Like 1

On 03/03/2018 at 15:17, lotuseaters said:

William there is another way around this .

when I shipped a car from Seattle I used Rinkins shipping and used there escrow account. Basically you pay Rinkens for the car and they pay the seller on collection .

They won’t check the condition of the car but they do check it’s  validity with paperwork and vin tag .

But they do charge for this it’s about £300 from memory.

well worth it I thought for piece of mind

Was going to suggest this. Apparently it’s easier to trace a U.S to U.S account if there is any issues and you have more legal power. 

Edited by tonytransam

Even though the car is shrouded in shadow and transporter truck, it still looks great! :wub:

Genuinely excited for you William.  Please do show us more once the car arrives.

Great advice Mark and Anthony.  Thanks for sharing.

Hi Gavin,  Your exited!!!!! I'm delirious!!

Yes I will post loads of photos when it arrives. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice. Its great to be part of this group. You really feel as if everyone is supportive. Cheers. guys.

• Like 1
  • Love 1