free hit
counters
Potential Evora 400 owner in San Francisco - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
EvoraSF

Potential Evora 400 owner in San Francisco

Hello,

I’m a Brit permanently settled in the San Francisco Bay Area. I’ve loved the idea of owning a Lotus (in theory) since I was a sprog growing up playing Lotus Turbo Challenge :)

Up until this point I’ve owned an NA1 NSX, which was sold and replaced with a 981 Cayman S, which then ended up being replaced by a 991.1 911. 

The 911 is all around a fantastic car, and I love it to bits, but it doesn’t feel as special as the NSX did. I test drove an Evora 400, and it definitely has the X-Factor I’ve been missing - in terms of driving feel and general experience. Price wise I could do pretty much a straight swap of one for the other.

I’d love to hear more from any US/California Evora owners about what the actual ownership experience is like... reliability, getting it serviced, is there a community around the car, do you sometimes wish you had a 911 instead, etc :) 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi, you could try over on Lotustalk. It's the main Lotus forum in the usa.

If it's a 400 you're after, I can heartily recommend the ownership experience.  The Bay Area gives a choice of dealers as well which is nice.  I'd recommend you take a visit to the LotusTalk forum as well for more specific discussion of U.S. ownership experiences, but in my case it's been a doddle so far.  I've had two minor issues related to trim imperfections, both promptly sorted by Lotus and my dealer.  As far as the basics of reliability, I've been most pleased.  Do I ever wish I'd bought a Carrera?  Not in a spec that cost what the Lotus cost me.  It would have to be a very special 911 if it were to replace the Evora in my life but to be clear, I'm not yearning to replace my car.   It's all I'd hoped it would be and gives every indication that it will be a long term keeper.   

I looked at all the usual suspects with an eye towards 991 ownership but as you suggested, I found the 400 to be a more unique and involving experience, as well as being a bit more special to drive day to day.  

I don't own a 400 or live in the USA but for what it's worth the UK ownership experience has been great.  I don't own cars for their posing value but would point out you get a completely different reaction from other road users and general public driving an Evora compared to a 911.  I wonder if there's a 31-page thread on a Porsche forum somewhere that is anything like this one?

• Like 1

On 2018-03-04 at 05:08, TomE said:

I don't own a 400 or live in the USA but for what it's worth the UK ownership experience has been great.  I don't own cars for their posing value but would point out you get a completely different reaction from other road users and general public driving an Evora compared to a 911.  I wonder if there's a 31-page thread on a Porsche forum somewhere that is anything like this one?

Nice one.

I had my uncle over for the WE and we went around in the 400. I thought his feedback was quite interesting. He is a Alpine (owning 2 at the moment) and GTi kind of guy on top of Audi autobahn driver.

What he could not believe was how well the Evora was going over the roughness and holes of the road.

What he liked was the all leather interior I have in the 400, he did find it more comfortable than my daily Mini Countryman with leather interior.

What he loved was the look of it in the flesh.

Finally what he could not stop raving about were the brakes! They look great and they deliver on looks. Super efficient and stable.

I thought he got the car quite well.

• Like 1