free hit
counters
Early Dry Sump Esprit Turbo Gear cable connection - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tocus

Early Dry Sump Esprit Turbo Gear cable connection

Hi Guy's

i just have a easy qeustion, i have a problem with my Essex specs Silver Dry sump esprit,

because i bought the car with the engine next to the car in parts,

i dont know how the gearbox cabel is connect to the engine/car

just look at this pictures, can maby somebody with the same connection put down here some pictures of how the cabel is connect to the engine, (the connection next to the slave cylinder)

because it runs very close next to the brake disc.

bbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg

cccccccccccccc.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sorry Tocus .Cant help .But what a rare car .Great colours. .Cool ...I am sure some one will know .... Mike

Here's a couple of pics from my 81 dry sump Tocus. I've since done the SJ mod which is much better and prevents the end of the cross gate cable bending as it has done in the 2nd pic. Hope this helps.

Steve.

20170208_084100.jpg

20170208_085131.jpg

There is an alternate mounting for that cable that uses a small steel bracket positioned higher up the bellhousing  (i.e. it does not use the mounting that is cast into the bellhousing).   I actually think thats what Steve's picture is showing

2 hours ago, Steve4012 said:

Here's a couple of pics from my 81 dry sump Tocus. I've since done the SJ mod which is much better and prevents the end of the cross gate cable bending as it has done in the 2nd pic. Hope this helps.

Steve.

MANY THANKS STEVE wonderfull!

that first picture shows how its been connect to the engine its on the same bolt as the slave cylinder is or not? (1 of the 2 bolts from the slave cylinder) the highest i can see..

Here's another pic which maybe is what you need? I have taken lots during the engine removal process!

20170917_122203.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder why they used that added-on bracket instead of the mounting designed into the bellhousing. I checked mine with string once and it doesnt seem that the shaft hits anything if the bellhousing mounting were to be used.

Cant think of any difference in the design of that area until the HC was introduced.  Seems odd that it works on some but not others.  That would suggest there is a tolerance difference somwhere - disc spacers perhaps?   Must have been an emergency bodge as that bellhousing must have been introduced espcially for the turbo models ? 

On 03/03/2018 at 19:29, Steve4012 said:

Here's another pic which maybe is what you need? I have taken lots during the engine removal process!

20170917_122203.jpg

many thanks!!! this is very very usefull!

i need it tomorrow, so i will take a picture and let you know ! @Steve4012