Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Holed Ally coolant pipes - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Holed Ally coolant pipes

PhilW

Hi

I have just found a hole in the small 90 degree pipe that has the fan thermostat in it.  I will see about getting a stainless one made as I have done with some of the others.  In the meantime I am sure I read on the forums somewhere a while ago about someone managing to repair some holes in these pipes.  Maybe a temporary solution for me rather than buying a new one that I dont really want.  I have searched but can find nothing.

Can anyone head me to it or have any experience of filling these small holes?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I’ve filled holes using Devcon alloy paste before, and it works well. You know the drill, clean up the pipe, roughen it up a bit, and smooth it on. Let it cure, then emery it off to a decent finish. It’ll do you until you decide to get the stainless one, but just beware that if there’s one hole, there could well be a few others hanging around.

Margate Exotics.

Think it was Wayne @top-plumber that used those low temp alloy welding rods  - would be the perfect job for those as it will be easy to get enough heat into the job with a small gas torch.  I used the same things to repair a bellhousing gearchange bracket with excellent results, although it required oxy acetylene to get enough heat into the job that rather defeated the purpose!   

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Another ? for Lumiweld, I've used it to remake broken fins on an air cooled cylinder head, strong enough to file into shape to form an invisible repair.

• 3 weeks later...

@PhilW...did you get this sorted?

another option is called HTS 2000... good youtube vids showing its capabilities, and most on line reviews seem to confirm it. Got mine yesterday from a place in wiltshire, but still waiting for the  (apparently essential) stainless wire brush to prep it with. 

I had holes in that pipe with the Otter switch. I threw it away and replaced with an adaptor for a screw-in thermostat and a silicone hose elbow.

• Like 1