free hit
counters
Tyre paint - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Yes i know this will undoubtedly be hated more than loved, but i have been toying with the idea for ages:sofa:

Finally gave in. :X i had to try it.

3 coats with a tyre pen.

At the moment..... I like it. :lol:

21VD2Fj.jpg

U3zhEwc.jpg

6W3ULWN.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You need some decals now5614CFCA-3B0A-4FF6-98BE-78CD98A8B760.thumb.jpeg.23905ed7885133a5d028d6c62c0aa14e.jpeg

• Haha 2

Could have been worse I suppose - they might have read "LINGLONG", :lol: .

• Haha 2

Cheers Barry - ordered B-)

My problem is I don't trust them to stay white for very long.

Keep us updated, I want to do it to my car - but only if it lasts more than 15 miles :P

These are actually tyre stickers, and can be removed anytime.  They can be cleaned and/ or replaced as necessary.   Not sure where they source from - I got them from www.zrauto.ca

Oops sorry - apparently I have reached the limit of my attachment space, and can't show any more pics.

Edited by aerobat

New tyres are done. Took 4 hours to get it right, but 4 coats and a razor blade to shave any miss haps and I'm happy :) Michelin friends

20190111_211126.jpg

Out of (mild) interest, why couldn’t you have done that once the tyres had already been fitted to the wheels?

12 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Out of (mild) interest, why couldn’t you have done that once the tyres had already been fitted to the wheels?

Generally speaking tyre pens don't flow well at those angles, plus paint tends to run. Also this allowed me to do it in my nice warm house hahaha. It's also easier on the wrist, with it being upright it's hard to comfortably paint unlike on a table or floor

Erm, the wheels/tyres don’t have to be on the car when you do it. 

15 hours ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

New tyres are done. Took 4 hours to get it right, but 4 coats and a razor blade to shave any miss haps and I'm happy :) Michelin friends

20190111_211126.jpg

I've got one or two questions if you don't mind, as I work for Michelin. Not only for you, but for anybody reading this topic and willing to answer. 

- If it was available like this on the market, could any other colors get your interest ? Which ones ? 

- For how long would you expect it to last ? (tire life, or would it be acceptable for only a year ?) 

- Would you concieve paying little extra money compared to the 'standard' tire for it ? How much (5, 10 or 15%?) 

Thanks for your feedbacks 😉

Colored sidewalls are nothing new on the market historically as you all know. And some are already available on the market. But all tire makers nowadays can really feel growing interest for this from customers but also car manufacturers.

And I'm not speaking only about tire brand in color of course...

16 minutes ago, rallyesax said:

I've got one or two questions if you don't mind, as I work for Michelin. Not only for you, but for anybody reading this topic and willing to answer. 

- If it was available like this on the market, could any other colors get your interest ? Which ones ? 

- For how long would you expect it to last ? (tire life, or would it be acceptable for only a year ?) 

- Would you concieve paying little extra money compared to the 'standard' tire for it ? How much (5, 10 or 15%?) 

Thanks for your feedbacks 😉

Colored sidewalls are nothing new on the market historically as you all know. And some are already available on the market. But all tire makers nowadays can really feel growing interest for this from customers but also car manufacturers.

And I'm not speaking only about tire brand in color of course...

I was litearlly thinking why hasn't anyone done this? Be easier to mass produce with a screen printer or whatever. and I'd pay extra, cause these take like an hour a tyre so far -.- 
Colour wise I'd stick with similar to Pirelli's colour editions, so red white yellow and blue. OR add a custom colour thing for an extorionate price :P
I'd expect them to last about 10k or 2 years to be realistically worth the extra cost over a £1.50 paint pen which is enough to do 2 tyres with 3 coats easily.

I'd say the cost would need to be under £10 a tyre extra for it to be attractive, provided the quality is there.

I would expect it to last the life of the tire if added by the manufacturer. I also wouldn't expect any increase in price. 

Factory produced white letter tires have been around for decades. They are still stock tires for many car brands.  Its not new technology. So, really no reason for added cost.  I would actually think tire manufacturers would love to produce them as they are a never ending source of advertising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think there should not be any additional cost to point out the brand name of a tire.
I would never charge my customers more for adding the LEITSPEED wheel center caps for the LEITSPEED Evora forged wheels.

And I even pass out a plain center cap carrier of 60 mm diameter for each wheel if somebody wants to put in a Lotus logo instead of Leitspeed.
But that is just my thinking 😉

• Like 1

I personaly agree with this vision 😉

I'm just collecting feedbacks on my own as I saw this thread. As my wife works on that kind of topics in the Company, I know it will be taken in account with interest 😋

• Like 2

It would be good for prestige tyre manufacturers if this fashion returned. It might make the OEM car manufacturers think twice about fitting the likes of Hankook to their new models just to save a few quid. 😉

By the way: what happened to that proposal for different colour rubber that was being banded about a few tears ago?

Edited by LotusLeftLotusRight

Hi,

By now MIK's tyrepaint should already been vanished , crackled,or become brown for a long time. Unless things are changed and new products exist, I would never use a tire pen. It takes hours to do it good, but it takes weeks or days  to turn it ugly . Still , I am curious how long it lasted?

I have had factory tyres with raised white letters in the past and those lasted without a problem for the lifetime of the tyre. You could keep them clean and white with just regular scrubbing handsoap or also brown soap. But not much around anymore these days, apart from trucktires.

The next best is glueing raised white  (or other coloured) rubber letter tire stickers. They are pretty permanent, but they are way to expensive . Tredwear being the most known. This becomes a hype in the  custom scene. But watch out with low profile tires, The letters keep up well, if applied good, but still, no rubbing against anything on the street, while parking the car. That will make a mess of your expensive tireletters. Anything else, they will be fine. Still not suited for a daily, I think.

I did it to go back to the seventies/eighties look with my lotus esprit,

28659702817_bc90eb9947_b.jpgSAM_7518 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

43499975032_582351866a_b.jpgSAM_7520 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

Edited by gvy

10 months on. Pics taken 10minutes ago.

Washed the car yesterday so discs are a bit corrosion-y.... ignore.

it’s definitely faded a bit, and one of the rears has a scuff through it where I must have brushed a kerb or something, but the slightly weathered look doesn’t offend me. Certainly not enough that i’ve Felt like going out and sticking a fresh coat of paint on.

1MfjKH3.jpg

0Fc6F9F.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Mik,

This is not to bad , never thought it would hold that good. Paints must have changed :thumbup:

Can you tell us exactly, what pen you have used ?

Geert

Totally unbranded.

This pen did 3 coats on all 4 tyres. Still a bit left in it.

aSoBQeq.jpg

8 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

It would be good for prestige tyre manufacturers if this fashion returned. It might make the OEM car manufacturers think twice about fitting the likes of Hankook to their new models just to save a few quid. 😉

By the way: what happened to that proposal for different colour rubber that was being banded about a few tears ago?

The colored rubber tyres have different issues, depending of the color and the technology used. 

The main one is the simple fact that roads are... dirty. That might sound stupid, but it does transfer dirt onto the tyres and the final result rapidly goes 🤢

The second one are oils inside the tyre components that migrate through the different rubber types and 'pollute' the color finish after a short time. 

All I can think of is those coloured rubber tyres used for burnouts and differnet colours of smoke... now that really is burning money hahaha

• Haha 1