free hit
counters
Air Box And Belt Cover - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Air Box And Belt Cover

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Never seen any belt covers on a G-Car...do they really exist?

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Never seen any belt covers on a G-Car...do they really exist?

I dont think Lotus deemed it neacessary to fit them to the Turbos as the undertray which our cars have tends to keep out all the stones and crap that could damage the belt.

I believe the S1/S2/S3 were originally fitted with timing belt guards (same as the front engined Elite/Eclat/Excell) but most were left off after the belt was changed for the first time.

If I drove my car alot on gravel roads, I would definately retrofit a belt guard to it!

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I have yet to see a belt guard on an S1/S2. I don't recall seeing one in the parts book, but never looked for it.

The frame is enclosed below the belts and #1 cylinder; it seems to me the front of the engine is very well protected/surrounded.

I could see the possibility of the brake rotors throwing something forward toward the timing belt, but that seems highly unlikely, too.

I have often wondered about the possibility of the car sucking up a plastic shopping bag and that getting entangled; when the occasional "urban tumbleweed" crosses my path, I steer around!

:thumbsup:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE