free hit
counters
Turning disaster into opportunity - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Del Lardo

Turning disaster into opportunity

I though twice about posting this but as I'd never sell the car without telling a potential new owner what happened I can't see the harm.......

I was invited for a walking weekend in the Lake District middle of November, unfortunately due to work I couldn't make it up there on either the Thursday or Friday so I decided to take my Evora out of the garage one last time before winter, drive up on the Saturday, have a few beers, camp with my friends and drive back Sunday.  What could possibly go wrong?

Well not much to start with, I drove up the A1 from Cambridge getting a very impressive 31.3mpg and then turned off at Leeming Bar across the Yorkshire Dales and following the A684 to Kendal.  The trip across the Dales was 60% brilliant and 40% frustrating, I'd not driven the car on these kinds of roads before and it was perfect on them even when it started to rain I could happily lean on the brakes and accelerator confident that it wasn't about to try and spit me across the road, problem was about 40% of the drive I was stuck behind much slower moving cars, often only one, who showed no inclination to pull over which made overtaking on narrow roads with limited visibility tricky.  Still it was well worth the extra time taken.  From there I did a short detour to Grasmere to pickup some gingerbread for our neighbours and then it was on into the Lakes, the initial run in was busy but once I got away from the beaten track it quickly became amazing, problem was that my this time it was just getting dark and it was starting to rain.  A hour later and I'm onto the really narrow/fun stuff and the rain is torrential and it's now pitch dark.  Road is 'two lane' which meant that it was wide enough for 2 cars to pass so long as you're not daft but certainly not wide enough to drive at speed with another car, when it's clear I'm having fun but staying well within the limits of the car due to the conditions and when I need to pass a car coming the other way I'm slowing right down to 10-20mph depending on width of road.

IMG_0067.thumb.JPG.749769c3d5d55ab6491580aba852550c.JPG

Doesn't this look pretty and fun!  Well it did the morning after but not so much when I was driving down it in the dark and torrential rain, actually I was rather enjoying myself as I was still making good progress, that was until there was a car coming the other way, I'd slowed down to about 20mph (road was deceptively wide here, probably close to 3 car widths edge to edge to the grass), unfortunately the car coming the other way either couldn't see the road properly or came too fast out of a tight right hander (just behind me in the photo) in the middle of the road, I had a the split second decision to either hit them head-on or go on to the grass.  I went on to the grass, back on the road once they'd passed but by then it was too late for me to slow down enough to comfortably slow down/predict where to turn in for the tight right-hander so I did the only thing I could, shat myself (metaphorically), panic braked and hoped it wouldn't be too painful/expensive.

Luckily I hit a stone at about 5mph, I say luckily as if it hadn't stopped the car I would have carried on down a shallow grass bank, I was able to reverse back on to the road (only the front half of the car had left tarmac) and get our the car just in time to see the guilty party jump back in their car and drive off rather sharpish.

I was able to quickly asses that the car drove fine, arrived at the pub 5 minutes later and was messaging Junks over my first pint to find out if he had any new front bumper/clams.  My friends arrived 10 minutes later soaked through (all very experienced walkers so had the kit) and I abandoned the idea of camping and checked into the pubs hotel!

In the cold light of day the news wasn't good, whilst the car drove fine it wasn't going to be cheap and I'd quickly worked out that I would be paying for this as claiming would not just ramp up my Lotus but also my BMW insurance for a few years 

IMG_0055.JPG.1068f9c0502793147e5a9e24cba62de1.JPG

5a9d975ee86d2_IMG_00762.JPG.c2bf239c166b85692db691e7e2a30544.JPG

Damage was front clam and under tray needing to be replaced along with a mounting bracket.  I probably got away lightly as a front on impact could have written off the car given the cost of repairs so despite my anger at the time and the feeling that I should have just hit them, I am glad that I took avoiding action.

The drive out was far less eventful and rather more fun, I was able to treat the surrounding walkers to the glorious sound of a 2bular at full volume which I am sure was appreciated :devil:

So on to getting things fixed, Junks put me on to ES Motorsport who offered me a clam for a very fair price and I decided to get a few other things done including new tyres fitted and getting the headlights relaminated, on the way to drop the car off I had to stop by Hethel for a quick photo 

2d6xAjRl.jpg

Mark was very helpful and as I was in no rush to get the car back scheduled the work for late December, early January in the body shop they use.  With this ongoing I saw a set of forged wheels that Junks was selling but I couldn't really justify the cost so I let the pass.

With the car ready to be collected, I happened up on an ES Motorsport Facebook post about a Sport Racer look wrap being applied to an Evora 400, I had thought about getting the roof of mine wrapped but quotes had always been above £500 and as they were quoting noticeably less for the SR look it seemed rude to pass up the opportunity to get an improved look.  I now had a problem, dark coloured car (normally, it changes in the light), black roof, the wheels would look wrong so I was forced (honestly I had to choice) to agree a favourable price on the forged wheels with Junks.

After a few weeks of business travel and snow (on Friday) getting in the way I was finally able to collect the car today!  I did actually have to ask David if it was my car as the transformation was that good!

TmRlUayh.jpg

So all in.......

New bumper, sprayed to match.  Pretty happy with the colour match, sometimes it looks off but I have original panels like that sometimes look like they don't match, think it's just how this colour paint works as it's so different in different lighting conditions

New front undertray

New subframe bracket

Re-laquer headlights

New wheels

Sports Racer wrap

New door seals (originals had split hence the annoying wind noise that I had been ignoring)

Fitted InoKinetic ESWKIT Smoother Shifting Evora kit https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/eswkit-smoother-evora-shifting

Replaced rear lamb bezels (cheaper than spraying the old ones) 

Fitted new Evora badge

All in, well frankly that's between me and them but I will say I consider it to be a very fair price for the amount of work they did and they were able to supply a couple of quality used parts that saved some significant cost.  Mark was a pleasure to deal with and I'd recommend that you consider them if you are in the area.  Only problem now is that I spend the drive from Norwich to their garage discussing how to get my Evora over 400bhp with David :sofa:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Apart from the knock that looks a nice drive. On top of that you were given the opportunity to upgrade the car. Win, win in my book. :P

Result looks good. How different do you find the new shifter?

Edited by Bruss
Stupid auto fill

29 minutes ago, Bruss said:

Result looks good. How different do you find the new shifter?

It doesn’t solve the averageness of the shift, nor the lack of speed across the gate (especially 2->3) but it does add more certainty when engaging a gear. Not convinced it’s worth the $100 but don’t feel like I’ve wasted $100 either which was my concern.

I was enjoying the read until I scrolled down the the bumper pic! 

ES Motorsport are great, I've sent a few people their way over the years and have only heard good things about them :)

David?

That sounds awfully formal. :harhar:

That's an amazing shot of the road.  Looks unreal!

Sorry to hear about your accident.  What a scum bag for driving off.  Silver is always difficult to colour match but looks good from the photo.

2 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

David?

That sounds awfully formal. :harhar:

May have been introduced as Dave but my memory for names is shocking at the best of times :lol:

2 hours ago, Mark Blanchard said:

That's an amazing shot of the road.  Looks unreal!

Sorry to hear about your accident.  What a scum bag for driving off.  Silver is always difficult to colour match but looks good from the photo.

I just pointed my phone and it came out like that, not sure if it's possible to take a bad photo in the Lakes. 

Road in the pic looks like Honister Pass?

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about the excursion off the black stuff mate... but the end result looks totally great! :cheers:

I know what you mean by not claiming for something like this... some guy in a VW drove into me last year when I was totally stopped on a narrow lane... he drove past a 'passing place on his side of the road and just kept on coming!!! scraped past the entire side of my car, then refused to admit liability! Luckily a witness saw the entire thing and after months of wrangling, his insurance company conceded defeat. The weird thing was my insurance company kept on wanting it to be a 50:50 knock, but I insisted that I was not accepting that so luckily they stood their ground against his! It still left me with a few hundred ££ damage to my D/D to sort out!