free hit
counters
S3/Turbo Tyre Options - Page 5 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S3/Turbo Tyre Options

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 5 weeks later...

Just had some Falken ZIEX ZE310 Ecorun fitted.

Only managed a shortish test so far but it was cold and wet and they performed really well.  Very pleased with them and it was only £300 all in.

The old Pirellis had been on there for at least 10 years and were hard, cracked and flat-spotted.  These have, rather unsurprisingly, completely transformed the way the car drives.  Will be interesting to see how good they are when conditions improve.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have an S2 Esprit and I am waiting to fit some 15 inch rims from Image Wheels, I have bought the tyres which are Continental Eco Sport, 225/60x15 rears and 195/60x15 fronts and are a matching pair.

I obviously have not fitted them yet until I get the wheels but they look ok and are a pretty good make. Looks wise the only gripe I have is that the fronts have only three grooves, the rears are ok and have four. The only other matching tyres I could find in the same size were the Falkens, the Continentals were dearer by approx £80.

On 13/12/2020 at 10:28, PaulM said:

Update on the tyres. Ordered the R888r, sidewall is about 11mm shallower on the rears than standard - but they have a good roundness to them so it’s hardly noticeable. Done my sidewall stickering today using the new dry sump range by tyrewallstickers.com and they look great. Obviously look a bit out of place off the car and in bright white, but that’ll soon change. Thought about doing them after tyre is on the wheel but this made it all a bit easier. They took about two hours to do and was a really easy process, can’t even get a pick underneath any to try and peel them off. They’re stuck fast but only time will tell!

Got new aluminium centre caps and badges too, so I’m ready for the 3pc wheels to come back and get it all assembled ready for the car to be done at paint.

5342D02C-9C0A-41E2-8A91-B2F7D29DA4C0.jpeg

A669E356-D4BF-4B74-89F9-C76211AE78F4.jpeg

46DB62B1-258D-4F81-B4E5-135F5707384B.jpeg

3A5433E9-7B88-41D3-B6F6-4D9D059BE792.jpeg

80C50751-01F8-4127-8CD4-3078C0425245.jpeg

Do you have any pictures of the wheels and tires on your car?  What sizes did you run front and back with the Toyo R888R

Cheers,

Ross

46 minutes ago, Rosco5000 said:

Do you have any pictures of the wheels and tires on your car?  What sizes did you run front and back with the Toyo R888R

Cheers,

Ross

Mine aren’t fitted yet and the car isn’t back from paint - but if you scroll back a page or two you’ll see the green turbo with these size R888r on.

Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

What is the current consensus on S3 Turbo tyres.

Searching online, the three most common models for 225/60 R15 seem to be the Uniroyal Rainsport, Falken ZIEX ZE310 EcoRun and Continental EcoContact.

Cross referencing reviews, I have ruled out the Rainsport as they are not so good in the dry when most of the driving will be done.

That leaves the Falken and Continentals. The Falkens seem to get better reviews than the Continental although they have a higher rolling resistance.

What are people's thoughts. Any others to look for ?

Looking for my first Lotus - A Giugiaro design Turbo Esprit - Message me if you know of one or considering selling yours

• Gold FFM

Also came across these Toyo CF2 which get good reviews. Anyone tried them

Looking for my first Lotus - A Giugiaro design Turbo Esprit - Message me if you know of one or considering selling yours

• 1 month later...
On 23/04/2021 at 11:15, Bling said:

Yeah, I've tried these on the rear of my S3 with CF1s on the front.  The CF1s are pretty good on the front and are a bit more pointy than the Goodyears were.  It's a very direct feel but not quite as subtle as the Goodyears were.  Changing the pressures by pound or two around 20lbs affects how pointy you want it.  There's a slight lack of delicacy.  The rears are pretty soft (on my car anyway) and I like the way they hunker down and bite into corners sometimes.  I still prefer the Goodyears, though mine were pretty worn so were getting a lot of rubber on the road. I never felt  I got as much grip with the Toyos at the back but I think they are significantly better than my worn Goodyears in the wet.  That does matter as wet roads are really the only places an Esprit is likely to misbehave.

In general I was a bit disappointed with how the Toyos turned out on the Esprit but my expectations were high.  I went for them because I had changed over to Toyos on my Excel  (I think it was the non SE, not sure) and that was a transformation from the Goodyears.  All the handling characteristics were still there, only improved by some margin, and the ride had just been transformed.  It felt so much more modern, softer and more comfortable - and with less bump noise too.  Until they went on I hadn't noticed that the Excel was a bit rough and rattley because its handling is so perfect, but those tyres took it up a notch in terms of luxury.  

The Toyos look OK and fit the arches quite nicely, but nothing like as good as that green Esprit above.  In fact I was surprised at how rounded and old fashioned the rears looked when I looked at them a few moments ago. They are very like the old Goodyears.

In summary I am likely to try something else next time (which is about now).  If I could get a bit more rubber on the road at the back that would be great.  I'd just like a little bit more ultimate grip at the rear. The front is still Ok and I'm not sure what I want there.  Maybe a little less vibration and harshness but what is missing is that feel that told you that the handling engineers at Lotus knew exactly what they were doing. There was something magical about the communication and feel with the front Goodyears.

Christian Thomas

• Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 11:15, Bling said:

Yeah, I've tried these on the rear of my S3 with CF1s on the front.  The CF1s are pretty good on the front and are a bit more pointy than the Goodyears were.  It's a very direct feel but not quite as subtle as the Goodyears were.  Changing the pressures by pound or two around 20lbs affects how pointy you want it.  There's a slight lack of delicacy.  The rears are pretty soft (on my car anyway) and I like the way they hunker down and bite into corners sometimes.  I still prefer the Goodyears, though mine were pretty worn so were getting a lot of rubber on the road. I never felt  I got as much grip with the Toyos at the back but I think they are significantly better than my worn Goodyears in the wet.  That does matter as wet roads are really the only places an Esprit is likely to misbehave.

In general I was a bit disappointed with how the Toyos turned out on the Esprit but my expectations were high.  I went for them because I had changed over to Toyos on my Excel  (I think it was the non SE, not sure) and that was a transformation from the Goodyears.  All the handling characteristics were still there, only improved by some margin, and the ride had just been transformed.  It felt so much more modern, softer and more comfortable - and with less bump noise too.  Until they went on I hadn't noticed that the Excel was a bit rough and rattley because its handling is so perfect, but those tyres took it up a notch in terms of luxury.  

The Toyos look OK and fit the arches quite nicely, but nothing like as good as that green Esprit above.  In fact I was surprised at how rounded and old fashioned the rears looked when I looked at them a few moments ago. They are very like the old Goodyears.

In summary I am likely to try something else next time (which is about now).  If I could get a bit more rubber on the road at the back that would be great.  I'd just like a little bit more ultimate grip at the rear. The front is still Ok and I'm not sure what I want there.  Maybe a little less vibration and harshness but what is missing is that feel that told you that the handling engineers at Lotus knew exactly what they were doing. There was something magical about the communication and feel with the front Goodyears.

Christian Thomas

Christian, not sure where you live, but if you are in the UK I have two Continental Eco Sport 225/60x15 rears and two 195/60 front tyres, they are brand new and have not been fitted. I am not going down the fifteen inch route now, sticking to fourteens. Pm me if you are interested.

Chris.