free hit
counters
S3/Turbo Tyre Options - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S3/Turbo Tyre Options

Agree with the above as to probable non-existence of Speedlines on Esprit post-S2. Note that the front brake rotors were increased to 10.5 diameter for Turbo/S3 so leads one to ask whether Speedlines would clear the caliper.

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yeah it seems strange. Do wheel/tyre calculations between 14's with 205/70's [rear] and 15 with 235/60's [rear] and the sizes don't tally so wouldn't there have to have been different speedo gearing for any car with optioned Speedlines? Not likely that was the case.

Ah ffs... 

There's such misinformation out there on Esprits. I took the Walton stuff as gospel because he was so obviously in touch and on the ground with so many at Lotus at the time. [I'm referencing the book from 1982 rather than the big pale blue one]

I think that the problem may of been some development photos that may of confused folks with the Turbo wearing Speedines maybe ? 

Given the fact that even if the front turbo hubs that had been used for four stud compomotives would have to be turned down on a lathe, 

plus as previously mentioned that the speedo calibration would be out maybe.

But then again, from another point of view,  car manufacturers back then did not use a supermarket parts inventory policy as they do these days to fit/build on the production line to keep expenditure on stocked parts down.

So on the other side of the discussion maybe Mr Chapman had plenty of S2 tyres, speedos and Speediness alloy wheel sets left over from the production run of the S2 2.2 ? 

Plus the fact that the S2 2.2 with its S3 equivalent power output still had Speediness fitted without the VR rating ? 

Plenty of reasonable choices from both sides, Way to many things with the esprit production run over the years that can and will never be 100 percent proven to be fact or fiction either way.

All the more reason to love Englands  hand built super car lol :)

A

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread as I'm looking fro tyres for my 1982 Esprit Turbo and the sizes seem even harder to get now.

Reading up to this point the Vredestein Sportrac seemed to be a good choice but they are now not listed with a 60 profile.  Very hard to find a matching tyre for front and rear.

Any suggestions welcome.

225/60 r15 are still available on the Vredestein website - https://www.vredestein.co.uk/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/1/225/60/15

I understand that you might find difficulty getting them on a comparison website, but if they are on the website the agents can get hold of them - this is from my local agent last week. Not sure where/if they are located in Ireland though.

PS. 1982 is a great year for our cars, you need to post up some pictures.

Just in response to the Speedline dialogue of earlier postings I am quite confident that the 235/60-14 rear size would be a sound choice were they available in a worthy tyre. On diameter, therefore speedo calibration, the 205/70 is bracketed by the 235/60 and 245/60 offerings by BF Goodrich with either being only marginally off. All vehicle speedometers other than GPS driven are inclined to be off by 5 - 10%, partly because tyre manufacturers are permitted some latitude in rolling circumference for a stated size. After some research I believe the 10.5 front discs might well have fitted within the Speedlines, FWIW.

On journalists, we are all indebted to Walton and the others for what has been compiled, warts and all. The printed works are entertainment products perhaps as much as they are reference material. Not every response from those interviewed must necessarily be the whole truth, as a scrappy little concern like Lotus would be ill-advised to give away their game at the best of times. By the way, I find John Simister's book, Lotus Esprit Turbo, published by Salamander to be the only source without error of any consequence.

Cheers 

As I've had no luck tracking down  Vredestein 225/60VR15  I emailed  Vredestein in Netherlands to see if they are indeed still being manufactured but no reply after two days.

Has anybody tried Uniroyal Rain Expert 3 on their Esprit, I use them on m MINI and find them great both wet and dry. They come in the right sizes/rating for the Esprit.  

Do you want me to see if my local agent can get some?

If he could, it would mean shipping them to you as he will only take delivery.

I'll go by in the morning. I don't think they have any in stock, but can order and get delivered (at least that was how I understood it last week). 

I also need to check on tyres for my Excel as I have a slow puncture and have similar issue re 205/55s for it if I need replacements - might order and store in the dark.

• Like 1

Just now, viz139 said:

As I've had no luck tracking down  Vredestein 225/60VR15  I emailed  Vredestein in Netherlands to see if they are indeed still being manufactured but no reply after two days.

Has anybody tried Uniroyal Rain Expert 3 on their Esprit, I use them on m MINI and find them great both wet and dry. They come in the right sizes/rating for the Esprit.  

vredestein holland is terrible on email, but half a year ago they told me the sportrac 5 was no longer in production, but end of the year a new tyre is going to be available  but as I need them as well, I am going to ask this week at my local vredestein supplier .

Edited by lotus-62
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

Chatted to Vredestein's customer UK support this afternoon. As I was after replacing my original NCTs on my 87 HC Turbo, and they replied back 

"Unfortunately we have stopped producing the size you require.
The size is getting replaced with

225/60 ZR 15 96W  Sprint+  This is our Classic range"

But they could not give confirm a date for the launch of the required size in the "sprint" range :(

@ChrisJ  if you have any luck on side, on the rears please do let us know. 

• Like 1

Just returned from the Vredestein Agent and unfortunately as reported the 225/60 R15s SportTrac 5s are no longer made, and there are none in the system in Europe.

I asked about the Sprint+ and the answer was that there was no intention of making them in this size (or 235s for that matter).

Looks like we need another make to replace Vredestein.

The SportTrac 5s for my Excel have also stopped being made - but they can get some. Am debating whether to buy a full set and keep in a dark place.

I have an S2.2 with speedlines so other tires, but for those with an S3 or turbo esprit :

rear : continental EcoContact 6 225/60 R15 96 W ( 270km/u)at 125€/pc

front : continental EcoContact 6 195/60 R15 88 V (240km/u) at 80€/pc

or

rear : Barum Bravuris 2 225/60 R15 96 V ( so max 240km/u) at 85€.pc

front : Barum Bravuris 5HM 195/60 R15 88 V (again max 240km/u) at 52€/pc

I had Barum Bravuris in the rear on my Esprit in the past and they were OK tyres

Edited by gvy
  • Like 2

I think those continental are worth checking. It is a German premium tire brand with the right measures front and back available in a recent model tire. They are known to be good in the rain and they are not that expensive.

The reartires ( on our esprits those get the most to endure) are W rated (max 270km/h)

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/ecocontact6

Edited by gvy

Has anyone Experience with Toyo R888?

They make them in 235/50R15 and 195 or 205/50R15

I am aware that they have a smaller circumference, but has a really good bite. 

Toyo have good grip, but I wouldn't change measures that big:

A 235/60R15 versus a 235/50r15 is 7.63% difference so 100km/u is 92km/u and so on. For me this is a nono

The engine has to turn higher revs , the speedo will be way off and it may look odd because the tires will not fill the arches

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 1