free hit
counters
Cam tower leak - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sparky

Cam tower leak

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's a carp joke, Bibs. Let minnow if you come up with anything better.

A belt drive system can create a fair bit of static.  As the semi-automatic tensioner is isolated on nylon bushes, an earth lead is used to dissipate said static by bridging across the bushes.  The issue here is two-fold:  a) it's broken (quite common);  b) it's been incorrectly fitted so it'd never work.  I've knocked up a replacement, thereby saving you a couple of squid.

• Like 2

But could it, at a stretch (haha), explain the strangely-frayed belt conundrum???  Currently finding no obvious reason for it...

IMAG0231-20180418-063035166.jpg

It’s so nice to see yet another botched job being rectified properly.  The previous butcher should be publicly flogged.

Well that is a pleasure to see.  Well done that man - looking forward to my next drive.  Thanks you!

It really is a pleasure to see motor engineering followed through to such a high standard, no matter how much training a person has, some have it, most don't.and never will.

Great work, and an insight to the rest of us, looking forward to the next one.

• Like 2

Thanks for those kind words.  The Esprit was the only car of my dreams as a youngster, so to own one, and get to drive and look after others, feels pretty good!

• Like 2

When’s the first new Concorde flight??

Just as soon as I've finished all these Esprits...

• Haha 1

Had a wobble yesterday when I was sure I was seeing a weep from the tower.  I'd torqued this down to the lowest specified value, so today I tweaked it.  Seems that's done the trick, or I was hallucinating!  All looks good now.  Note the residue of whatever was used in an attempt to block the oil leak.

IMAG0323-20180425-200558790.jpg

So, onward with the C service!  Time to finally put this pipe to bed; it's riddled with holes.

IMAG0306-20180425-20021583.jpg

Now sorting some poor wiring (alternator & temp circuit), replacing the temp sender, and securing a weeping coolant union.

IMAG0318-20180425-200321656.jpg

The bulkhead is knocking quite badly on the nearside.  The nuts & bolts were very loose, so I've wound them right up for now, and we'll see how it goes.  A more permanent fix would be nice, but that requires a bit of dismantling.  I'd prefer to remove the seats, but it looks like I'd be shearing at least half of the frame studs!

Tomorrow should see the C service finished, then just waiting for a few replacement bits...

• Like 1

Lionel's all sorted and on his way home with Mike at the wheel.  I hope he has a lovely drive, and lets me know when he arrives!

• Like 2

Soon come, my friend...

19 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Soon come, my friend...

as the bishop said to the actor

You're all soooo common.

I think I'll play with a blue one next...

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

This view almost caused a few accidents on my road. Plenty of people stopped to chat!

IMAG0349.jpg

It’s just caused an accident in my trouser department 

Yeah, I had you tagged as one of them.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I think I'll play with a blue one next...

No comment