free hit
counters
Removal of upper panel behind seats on S2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
tonytransam

Removal of upper panel behind seats on S2

How is the upper interior panel behind the seats held in, as I need to glue the material back on the panel. As you know these interiors are so delicate and don't want to break anything.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sorry, I can't help. Mine was loose and easily removed. Try peeling a bit of material away from the panel that's located behind the seats.

Basically, the material is glued to a pre-formed plastic shaped to the bulkhead, including around the inner window. How that is then fixed to the actual bulkhead I'm not too sure. There is a video online somewhere. I'll try and did it out and post a link. Unfortunately I can post a photo of mine removed, as this forum has throttled my data upload.

If you don't find out I can ask someone else who's done a couple.

Edited by Fridge

There are 2 screws, behind the seats, and the upper edge is secured by plastic pipe clips which clip onto wooden dowels. One of the great bits of wacky design on the Esprit which really works. So just pull the top edge off.

There is a slight complication in that there is trim at the sides of the panel which runs under the door seals, at least there is on mine, so it either means pulling off the door seals or (as I did) leaving those bits of trim there and separating them from the bulkhead trim when removing.  Pulling door seals off is best avoided unless fitting new ones as they tend to leak.

No sure what you're referring to because there are no pics, is it the rear bulkhead trim, the rear cabin glass surround?

It's made of super brittle plastic, and watch out as others mentiond for the two screws that go straight through the plastic (and have already probably cracked it) and through the wood. 

On 13-3-2018 at 06:47, Freemason said:

No sure what you're referring to because there are no pics, is it the rear bulkhead trim, the rear cabin glass surround?

It's made of super brittle plastic, and watch out as others mentiond for the two screws that go straight through the plastic (and have already probably cracked it) and through the wood. 

If it is that rear bulhead trim, you are right, that is super brittle plastic. Last year, I took some time to repair the thing on my workbench from behind. I soldered ( yes you can solder and reinforce plastic with a simple soldering iron) all cracks. I even soldered in a piece of other plastic where parts were lost around the vent areas (top side). You can even solder (melt in) some metal wires or grit in plastic to reinforce areas.

It came out strong again. The leather trim in the front was not damaged in the process