free hit
counters
Help with water leak. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi does anyone have experience with sorting out water leaks around the doors.

Everytime we get medium to heavy rain while my car is parked outside. Water gathers in the door seal at the front corners (see photos).

Where does the water come from?  Thoughts on how to fix/cure?

Thanks

Paul Aston.

3F89F126-05A1-40BC-A7A5-D2B9483D126C.jpeg

6F4C85DE-5CE9-4FF2-9CDF-2B2BDF6D7074.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

While this sounds facetious, it isn't. Park the other way round!

If you can keep the nose even slightly higher, all the drains on the car work better. Was the same on the Esprit too :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bibs said:

While this sounds facetious, it isn't. Park the other way round!

If you can keep the nose even slightly higher, all the drains on the car work better. Was the same on the Esprit too :) 

I park with the nose higher (& passenger side slightly higher), the water accumulates at the back end of the passenger door seal enough to spill over the door sill and soak the rear carpets. I now have an outdoor car cover. I would love to know if there was a later revision to the door seals (post early 2011) with better drainage or any benefit to replacing the seals, nothing appears to be obviously wrong...

I sometimes get a few drops of water from the bottom of the door card fixings on the sill because the screws weren’t changed when the car was in warranty. Do you know where the water is coming in as it looks to be inside where the seal makes contact with the door.

1 hour ago, Chris J said:

I would love to know if there was a later revision to the door seals (post early 2011) with better drainage or any benefit to replacing the seals, nothing appears to be obviously wrong...

The door seals were updated with MY12. You might have to dig through Deroure to work out what the differences (and costs) are. That might help you. 

Edited to add: here you go. The MY12 door seals are definitely different (and have been updated/replaced again since). Parts 12a & 13a:

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=6690&MAK=1&MDL=20&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! Oddly, the pre-MY12 seal has also been updated/replaced, by another part number (& £13 more expensive before VAT than the MY12). Which to go for, I wonder is there actually any difference between them... 

@Chris J The MY12+ primary door seals will not fit older models. Well not without serious body work and sill changes.

You could check your door curtains, or waist seals.

You may also be getting leaking through the bottom of the door card. Each of those 5 (maybe 6?) fasteners penetrate into the door shell, and is sealed by only a foam insulation tape. Over time the foam tape compresses, and allows water inside the door shell to leak into the interior. 

Yes, I replaced the bottom door card fixings as i had the old screw type and sealed the caps in with silicon shower sealant so they should be ok.  Also resealed the badly stuck on door curtains at the same time, the combination of which cut down water ingress by maybe 80%.  I've been considering the passenger side waist seal as it doesn't actually touch the window in the middle section!

Should there be any way for water trapped at the bottom of the door seal (as in the OP) to escape/drain away or is it inevitable if it gets that far it will build up and spill over the sill...?

13 hours ago, JAWS said:

@Chris J The MY12+ primary door seals will not fit older models. Well not without serious body work and sill changes.

I thought that might be the case,  thanks.