free hit
counters
New 410 musings - Ex Cayman - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

New 410 musings - Ex Cayman

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

I get the hairy chested argument but it' odd that the exige gets one. 

Is that actually a cup-holder in the Exige though? I thought it was the luggage compartment! :D

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well after a bit of a wait the 410 has finally landed! I thought I would leave a musings thread here as it may help some people go have a look at these cars and see what they are all about. I'm into t

UPDATE! I'm delighted to say that I have had confirmation today that my 410 will be receiving a new roof panel! I'm having the car back soon and have agreed that the work can be carried out

I absolutely sympathise a lot and if I am honest I have a few "weave issues" on the roof of my  410 but I can live with it.  It does not affect the structural integrity of the car. It does not look ba

Posted Images

On 3/23/2018 at 06:12, Alfa2Evora said:

I've posted this before and I make no apologies for posting it again.

If you've got an Evora, this is the only cup-holder you should ever use................................................:P.

The reason use 'Americans' like our cup holders is because we may drive 500 to 800 miles in a day, its bad enough to spot for gas and a quick pee .. we definitely don't want to sit down at a table to top up our fluids.

• Gold FFM

Yeah, but you still have to be told in large writing on the side of the cups "be careful, the contents of this cup are hot"  -  I mean, no shit sherlock!         hahahaha....

Having sampled the average American coffee I have no idea why anyone would want to put it anywhere other than down the drain, let alone inside an Evora...  lol....

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I post all over the place. Like a dog with lamp posts....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Just knocked over 500 miles on the drive into work this morning. More miles than my VX220 has completed inm 2.5 years. Oops.

Resisting the urge to redline it is getting harder. In fact I'm going to add this to my modest list of complaints about the car. There's no requirement to run a Porsche in like this. Also the ECU print I got from the dealers shows its had about 10 hours of runtime at moderate and ranged RPMs so I suspect it is actually already run in. Hey ho that's the rules and I'm reluctantly adhering to them. 

One thing that is coming through is now nervous the car is in the wet. This I think is 100% down to the tyres. At the moment I'm doing a 35 mile commute to my work which is situated 3 miles from home. Same route each day. TC is firmly on as I'm not using sport mode but it still unstuck really easily coming off a damp roundabout the other day. I think as the Pilot sport look kind of like a normal tyre it's easy to forget they are really a semi slick in the AO48 level of performance envelope. I can foresee come tyre change time swapping to something else. I feel it might be better suited to something like a top end Continental or Bridgestone RE050 something like that. The car is a totally different animal in the wet anyway and doesn't inspire confidence in the same way an Elise does on regular road tyres. 

Run in service booked for the 9th April so should hopefully have time to get close to 1000 miles in.

@jonnyboy

Surprised to hear that Jon. My s1 with 400 plus had been on Pirelli, Mich pilots sports and now the cup 2's. Not had any feeling of nervousness in wet or even with a bit of frost down.  I now have the Nitrons on but even before with the oem suspension I didn't notice anything on either of the 2 I 've had.  Check the geo at first service?

@jonnyboy

i did have a graceful half pirouette giving me an interesting view of the central reservation in the cold and damp. But the rear Cups are down to the wear markers now (5000 Miles) so probably excusable. 

Having driven in pretty poor conditions the car is more nervous , but what I expected , seems to be a combo of incredible dry weather feel that you get used to and suddenly it’s gone and not getting the tyre temp up enough. 

Plenty of good fast road tyres around though for all year use , if I was commuting regular thru oct-mar id certainly have a set available .

Black n gold

• Gold FFM

The roads in general over here just now are just so poor - no heat in them at all, loose top surfaces are just breaking up, thoroughly wet and greasy.

I just went to fill up my S1 NA for the trip to the new owners, and coming out of the garage I accelerated onto the dual carriageway easily, into second fine, into 3rd, squeeze on the pedal at around 50mph (in sport mode) and she squirrels away at the back lack a fish out of water. That woke me up... On OEM spec pirelli's too, although the rears are down to around 2.1mm so that won't help.

Can't believe she is going. She just clicked past 25k miles on that short trip. Not a rattle or a squeak anywhere. Still get boosebumps from the noise of the exhaust with the 2bular headers.  Argh...... What have I done....

Ho hum.

Indeed - what have you done! 410 replacement?

I have been caught in serious rain a few times in my S1 Evora NA and been amazed at how stable it is and how much grip is still there. Did Anglesey in monsoon conditions 2 years ago, and it was brilliant - way better than the Elises. Even on pretty worn POs the grip has been there, so maybe its more down to the temps / loose / rough surfaces.

2 hours ago, Bruss said:

@jonnyboy

Surprised to hear that Jon. My s1 with 400 plus had been on Pirelli, Mich pilots sports and now the cup 2's. Not had any feeling of nervousness in wet or even with a bit of frost down.  I now have the Nitrons on but even before with the oem suspension I didn't notice anything on either of the 2 I 've had.  Check the geo at first service?

Yeah I have driven S1 and S2 cars in all kinds of variations of spec and tyres including hoofing through Scotland on cold R888s but never had the same feeling. In the dry it's fine but I think we will stick it on our rig and check the Geo. I was going to do so anyway just to see what they come out like. 

1 hour ago, Stubox said:

@jonnyboy

i did have a graceful half pirouette giving me an interesting view of the central reservation in the cold and damp. But the rear Cups are down to the wear markers now (5000 Miles) so probably excusable. 

Having driven in pretty poor conditions the car is more nervous , but what I expected , seems to be a combo of incredible dry weather feel that you get used to and suddenly it’s gone and not getting the tyre temp up enough. 

Plenty of good fast road tyres around though for all year use , if I was commuting regular thru oct-mar id certainly have a set available .

I might be inclined to run another set of wheels with probably not winter tyres but something a bit more of an all rounder. 

The Michelin PS4S is regarded as the current best, performance ‘all rounder’ on the market. The wet performance is meant to be particularly good. 

Which flavour of Pilot Sport have you got on your car? Cup 2 or Supersport?

• 2 weeks later...

So....running in service done today. 

We are crazy busy at the moment so my ever patient Mrs released me for half a day yesterday on my only day off to go out and do 180 miles in the car just to get the miles up. Ended up rolling into Oakmere with 995 on the clock this morning. 

Lotus are supplying a new CF tailgate but it isn't here yet. Oakmere have been very good in liaising with the factory and sorting out a few of the niggles especially considering I didn't buy it from them.  Going back in for that at some point over the next couple of weeks. I'd certainly recommend Oakmere anyway. Pretty big company but have that small company approach and staff that know what they are doing.  

So finally the taps have been opened! It's still tight but there's no doubt all the ponies are in there. Feels properly quick and good torque (limited in 1st and 2nd though it would seem??)  It was good to get on some familiar roads using the full rev range it really is quite a thing!  

Also popped into our local ICE installer to sort out this gash audio system so that's booked in for the end of the month. Spec to be finalised but looking at Hertz speakers similr to Jayemm's by the look of things and a custom sub enclosure/dynamat etc and a new head unit WITH DAB! 

As mentioned in one of the other threads I'm on the fence with the seats. They are pretty uncomfortable really very firm and too upright. Phase one will be to try and raise the front of the seat rail to tilt the angle of the seat back which is an old Elise trick. Plan B is to swap the seats out. Given my personal pickiness this will not be a straight forward thing to do as it will involve sourcing the alcantara/leather from Lotus and trying to get the cutout inserts painted the right colour. Thinking of a set of GTE Recaros currently. Having had a peek at a 430 today  I think the Carbon ones are a bit small looking in the cabin too as has been observed by others previously.  The jury is out. They are still very high quality seats and they do sit you lower down than the regular 400 seats so would need to refresh my memory on how low the Recaros get you. 

Nice work. Time to change your profile pic. I keep thinking you've got a bright blue 410. Would look pretty stunning in that colour all the same.

I guess if you're fitting an uprated stereo then you aren't too concerned about adding a few kilos by changing the seats, not many Evora owners lose sleep over such things, rightly so perhaps, that's what the Exige is for.

Quite a few owners are looking into adjusting the seat angle as we speak. One or two might be able to comment on their findings so far but I think the best solution would be to fit an adjustable motorsport seat mount. The original prototype/show car 410 had something like this. Not sure who supplied them but I can ask.

Lotus-Evora-Sport-410-cabin-at-the-2016-Geneva-Motor-Show-Live.jpg

There are even sliding ones available at a price:

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/seat-mounting-frames-universal/recaro-fia-approved-sliding-seat-side-mount

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I have a nice set of charcoal Recaro's from my S1 @jonnyboy sat on a pallet just waiting to be shipped!  ;)  They had only done 15k miles so are in very good nick and ideal for a recovering job.

You don't need to buy the Alcantara from Lotus - just get the colour shade and you get it anywhere. Allon White did my interior retrim and they were factory good OEM quality. I would highly recommend them. They will be doing my carbon seats at some point for sure!

I'm sticking with the carbon fibre seats in my 410 - I just like them and just need to get them tilted back a bit (well, just the drivers one).

I'm not getting the hifi issue - mine sounds just fine to be honest. Sounds like every other hifi in every other car but then I am no audiophile. I'm not convinced a car is the best place anyway to try to get "hi fidelity sound".  I can add the DAB tuner from Alpine to mine and hey presto, it has all I need.  I do believe I have the sub thingy fitted on my car (I think it had every extra possible apart from the titty exhaust) and maybe that is why it sounds OK to me. Not sure it would make any difference anyway as i am yet to drive the car WITHOUT the exhaust valve open.

• Like 2

@The Pits I can feel a group buy coming on keep us posted!

@C8RKH Have you got runners on those? 

The stereo is a real bugbear! It hurts my ears it's so bad. You could say I was spoiled in the Cayman (this only had the standard stereo not Bose) but the Cayman had massively more cabin noise than the Evora. It's hands down the worst system I have ever heard. My VW T5 has a similar setup with a Pioneer head unit and no sub and that sounds better. I'm no audiophile but I do like to have some clarity and a bit of bass punch. If I had paid directly to spec that system back into the car at a direct cost it would have been a real issue for me. Funnily enough I borrowed a Toyota Aygo at Oakmere yesterday and I did have to chuckle to myself that it has a far better stereo and even a higher quality reverse camera than the 410 :D:D Anyway it's on it's way to being sorted and the system should end up better than any OEM system would have been. 

• Gold FFM

@jonnyboy - yup, the runners are on the seats.

I suppose the stereo is subjective and depends on your own priorities hence our different views.

Enjoy both of your 410s! I have to disagree with you slightly Andy and say the stereo is not subjective, instead it is most definitely objectively terrible.  However, you are 100% correct in that people's priorities are different!

Also, I have massive fire red envy. damn its a gorgeous colour! :help:

15 hours ago, The Pits said:

They're all a lot better than the stereo in my Evora!

Did you install a stereo in your GT430 I seem to remember you skipped that option. Am I delusional?