Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New 410 musings - Ex Cayman - Page 4 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New 410 musings - Ex Cayman

jonnyboy

My ice guy said the head unit was ok. Again the omission of a dab unit for it is staggering especially since dab was in the old S2 Elise! 

I'm swapping for an android pumpkin unit will see how that goes.  I think it will be handy to run torque on as there are no temp displays so at least water temp would be nice not sure if there is an oil temp already in there or not. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, jonnyboy said:

My ice guy said the head unit was ok. Again the omission of a dab unit for it is staggering especially since dab was in the old S2 Elise! 

I'm swapping for an android pumpkin unit will see how that goes.  I think it will be handy to run torque on as there are no temp displays so at least water temp would be nice not sure if there is an oil temp already in there or not. 

See. Told you ;)

Will be keen to see how you get on with the pumpkin as  i would enjoy having Torque and Harrys Lap Timer on there.

You can add the Alpine DAB tuner to the head unit and it works seamlessly.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Now that is something I'd like to see a return to on all Lotus cars, more instruments.

My Esprit has tach, speedo, boost guage, water temp, oil pressure, fuel guage, voltmeter and a clock. All are so useful, they've become pretty much essential now it's an older car.

• Like 2

So...

We have done the tear down. We have pulled the stereo to bits. It leaks. The AC doesn't work. It's got stuff wrong with the carbon. 

But today was the first "proper" drive. The run in service is done. It's finally stopped raining. Went to work this morning along my test route. Many cars have fallen on the test route. It comprises a bit of regular B Roads, some proper flowing B Roads some rough surfaces, some smooth. 

Luckily for Lotus its bloody brilliant! The last 1000RPM crikey...It's quick. It's interesting actually that the power delivery for an SC car isn't totally linear. In fact it feels like an NA. You don't hear the supercharger at anything other than low revs/heavy load and the pick up at that last 1k feels like cams. Makes me wonder what the mapping opportunities could be a bit later on. 

Anyway very impressed. It's stupidly loud, steers better and has a better chassis than you would think possible. 

The guys at Oakmere are superb they have a right old list of stuff to sort out all of it should have been caught in the factory and sadly it's all stuff that a typical Porsche owner would just not get their head around. Lotus are very close to achieving genuine greatness with this car. It's really very good but it's not finished! As ever a great car frustrated by the seeming inability of Lotus just to do simple stuff right. Stop releasing a new version every 3 weeks and get some QC in. Simple. 

Anyway looking forward to getting out and about during the summer and by the skin of it's teeth I genuinely think it's the best car available to buy new at this price point. 

• Like 1

Glad you're still enjoying it despite the let-downs. Hope you get everything fixed asap and then have nothing but good things to report from then on.

Where does it leak from?

The daft part is that QC would save Lotus money. They have everything to gain and nothing to lose from sorting it out.

Quite. There's nothing at all wrong with the car that some really basic management wouldn't fix. Water coming in through the front windows.  It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic :D

On 15/04/2018 at 03:51, jonnyboy said:

So...

We have done the tear down. We have pulled the stereo to bits. It leaks.

Never had a leaking stereo before! Maybe that explains the 'bubbling' sound :>)

• Haha 1

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 07:18, jonnyboy said:

Water coming in through the front windows. 

Oh well, that answers that question, I won't bother replacing my door seals with the uprated version...

On 11/04/2018 at 23:05, The Pits said:

I don't miss it at all. I can get the radio and itunes through my phone if bored in traffic. When pressing on then I'd turn off the stereo (if I had one) for sure.

iPhone speaker probably sounds better than the OEM sound system anyway

• Gold FFM
On 09/04/2018 at 22:22, jonnyboy said:

As mentioned in one of the other threads I'm on the fence with the seats. They are pretty uncomfortable really very firm and too upright. Phase one will be to try and raise the front of the seat rail to tilt the angle of the seat back which is an old Elise trick.

On 09/04/2018 at 22:56, The Pits said:

Quite a few owners are looking into adjusting the seat angle as we speak. One or two might be able to comment on their findings so far but I think the best solution would be to fit an adjustable motorsport seat mount. The original prototype/show car 410 had something like this. Not sure who supplied them but I can ask

Just to pick-up on earlier comments about the seats. I spent some quality time in the car at the weekend, including a 3 hour stint behind the wheel. Although a big fan of the carbon buckets I did find that my right leg was getting uncomfortable after 90 minutes or so without a break due to the lack of lower thigh support provided by the short seat base. (Plus nothing to rest the leg against when using the loud pedal).

Having the ability to adjust the seat's vertical angle/elevation to enable some tilt backwards would probably solve this. The Recaro pole position fixed back seats in my Megane are easily adjustable at a much lower price point and super comfortable.  I'd be very interested to know if anyone has come up with/fitted a reasonably priced solution. 

DSC09285_Large_1024x1024.JPG

A decent sound system shouldn't break the bank - it's one of the cheapest ways to generate goodwill. My old Peugeot RCZ was a pretty cheap car relatively speaking and it had a fantastic JBL audio system which I doubt cost an arm and a leg. There's literally no excuse. Either sell the bloody thing without a radio or put in some time and effort making it sound good in the vehicle. I'd also be peeved if I'd spent that much on a car and gotten something that sounds like it came out of an old Ford Fiesta, and I'm by no means an audiophile. 

I'm actually glad this is being discussed because the ability to have a laid back drive and listen to good music is high on my list of priorities and I've been mulling over an Evora for a while. The exhaust valve solves the former, but the latter seems to be lacking... 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Mines in next week for hertz fronts new sub and amp and a pumpkin android head unit. Should hopefully sort it.

Going to try spacing the seats later this week. 

Pole positions are a good call very comfy seats those and adjustment in the base. I think angling these ones should work. The main issue I think has been correctly identified as lack of support under your legs at the front of the seats. The lateral support is superb. 

I don't think the problem is the seats. I have the same seats in my Elise and I'm 6ft and absolutely fine after three hours behind the wheel, but when I sat in a 410, the driving position did feel quite odd, so I guess it's just the way they're mounted.

• Gold FFM

I agree. Very happy with the seats in terms of back support, being close to the floor of the car, road view etc. It is just the lack of upper leg support that causes a little driver cramp after longer periods in the car, especially in the right leg. The Mrs loves them as a passenger and thinks they are really comfortable on long trips. I don't think it is a driver height issue as there is bags of room in the Evora for even the very tall. I'll hunt around for a suitable tilting bracket solution somewhere. 

There's a fix! 

Was chatting with a 430 owner today that's done a nifty mod to the bases. I had a sit in it and it's superb. I'l get some pics up when I do mine hopefully Saturday. 

Real shame so many feel the need to be adjusting their seats after paying current Lotus prices. The mounts should come with some adjustment from the factory which was the original plan looking at the launch Sport 410. I have no idea why they don’t.

Totally agree that the seats are great, it’s just the angle that some don’t get on with. Solution is so simple, just a couple more holes to drill.