free hit
counters
503 death warrant? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Rear  right wheel sticking so I thought it would be the brake cylinder - so wheel off, uj off the drum, and closer examination shows the drum/backplate touching on the chassis...or something that once was a chassis.

LOTUS OWNER ADVISORY:

Those of a sensitive nature should not look at the following photograph.

I suppose that when the vendor said no rust underneath he was referring to the glass fibre and tyres.

I'm surprised it handled OK and sounded OK. It's always possible that jacking the back end up to free the clutch was the last straw

Chassis shot? Paint bubbly, electrics loony, engine OK, leather interior great, radio working.

Suggestions as to what to do welcome.

2018-03-09 10.58.44.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, tom kilner said:

Suggestions as to what to do welcome.

Hmmm - Presumably cost of repair will outweigh value of vehicle.  So probably depends whether you want an interesting and rewarding hobby or cut your losses by selling on for the remainder to bring someone else's car back to life

Swapping the chassis is not to difficult. The body comes off relatively easily once the engine is out and there were a few chassis on eBay a few weeks ago for a couple of hundred pounds. The biggest problem with a chassis swap is the "while your at it you might as well just..."

http://www.lotusbits.com/elite_chassis.html

Get a new chassis and fix it. Lets not loose another one. Or if you have to break it, I'll declare an interest in the interior :) 

please don't break it up for parts :( IF you do, drop me a line...

Re chassis it, time consuming and always end up thinking well whilst I'm doing this ill just sort that out as well, but once done you would have a great and rare long term keeper. Ideally best option is to build up a new chassis fitting it out with new/refurbished parts then move a nice freshly painted body onto it, but it does depend on your spanner skills 

just my thoughts

best of luck

Dan

Tom, bad luck on that mate - must feel like a bit of a pisser. Based on your other posts/activity I'd see no reason why you couldn't cope with a body off rebuild but funds and time are a factor that only you know the answer to. I would say though, that the rest of the car would appear to be too good a starting point to bin it. Consider how you'll feel without it in the future - if you think you'll be kicking yourself (and I'll bet you will be :devil:) then that's a big push to taking it on.

Good luck with your decision

ATB Ant

Vultures circling......... I'll have the leather interior for my 503 project 

The engine is a 911, much sought after by the Talbot lotus owners who have blown their own ones up. If I add value of engine,  interior,  dellorto carbs  and other bits and pieces (sunshine roof anyone? ) I could put it towards that nice orange one on ebay(pictured)

I was expecting to have to swap the chassis some time,  but not just yet...

Found an excel chassis to swap to though if I can just convince myself I have about 10 times as much time and space as I actually do.

Normally I can do that.

2017-10-10 22.58.59.jpg

2018-03-09 23.06.27.png

There is a fair amount of glassfibre work required to fit the Excel chassis. ts much wider than the car at the rear. Someone posted on here the details somewhere.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

:) 

Hope @Grizzly doesn't mind me posting this up - a really helpful (if a little daunting!) thread. I personally would keep it all Elite, simply to retain originality and maintain Elite manners,  which IMO will help longer term value. If that doesn't bother you then no problem...

Thanks for the suggestions -it's not that I want to fit an excel chassis, more that I don't think I'll find a good elite chassis. LB already have 3 customers waiting and no decent chassis on the horizon. My Car's not usable now but I'm a bit daunted by the complexities of body remodelling and the sheer amount of work in not just swapping but changing the chassis, and the dozens of jobs it would throw up I was hoping to tackle on a-few-a-year basis.

If I didn't  have a job,  kids and a smallholding i'd be excited.

Anyone estimate the chance that I could replace the crossmember? The rest of the chassis looks OK (I haven't looked too closely yet mind perhaps for good reason) and I assume it would still be engine out body off, but no need for any mods, and what a great opportunity to do all those hard to reach repairs!

With the body off you will be able to effect any repairs you like.  All depends on how bad it is and how much needs replacing.  Experience tells me that once you start chasing the rot it can lead to more work.  When you make a start you will have a better idea.  You can do it, all she needs is some TLC.  And, as you say

16 minutes ago, tom kilner said:

a great opportunity to do all those hard to reach repairs!

Go for it!

Or if only I could find a good elite chassis. I'm sure making the swap to an excel chassis is well worth it,  but I'm naturally inclined to take the path of least resistance.

2 minutes ago, tom kilner said:

Or if only I could find a good elite chassis.

True. But you would still need to get the body off. ;)   Why not get the  body off have a  good look at it see what's really going on and then decide?  You may find the path of least resistance both to time and money is to fix it.

Roland - that's great advice. Tom you aren't going to know what you have to deal with without taking the body off. That part of the chassis isn't particularly complex and would (IMO) be fairly straightforward to sort out. Keep your eyes peeled on fleabay and gumtree as chassis's do come up and generally for a lot less that LB starting prices (although I accept that they provide a thorough service and have overheads to cover!).

Don't lose heart and keep looking

The mods to the body to fit an excel chassis don't actually appear to daunting imo. Getting an excel chassis would enable the swap to be done quickly and reduces the risk of having two bits to move on if interest or finances wane abit. 

Looks straightforward enough to me, too. I’d be giving that a go, especially with an Excel chassis available. Good luck with whatever you decide, though.

@tom kilner Sent you a PM.

:) 

So I understand the differences between the elite and the excel chassis, but is the eclat chassis the same as the elite or are there mods required there too?

not that I have heard about, but different gearbox mounts between S1 and S2 I believe.