free hit
counters
V8 Cam belt change - special tools - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Grahaml

V8 Cam belt change - special tools

I am building up courage to do the belts on my V8 - in situ.  I just got a shock when I costed the crank locking tool, the cam locking pins and the camshaft tolerance pins - non standard kit from SJ is £315.

Even the crank tool on it's own is £77.

They are such basic bits of metal and I feel ripped off if I have to buy them at that cost. My son who works for an engineering company reckons they are 1st year appprentice skill level jobs on a lathe (I reckon I could make them easily myself if  had a lathe) so I will see if I can get some made up myself - for free maybe - or at a small cost. Does anyone know (or can you provide) the dimensions I need? I know the important bit of the setting pins is 4.7mm diameter and the tolerance pins are 4.2mm diameter. Do I need the setting pins? I thought they are more for checking the cam timing?

I could probably manage with just metal rods of the correct diameter for the cam setting /tolerance pins.  What about the crank tool - looking at the manual I might be able to measure the dimensions myself although access looks tight (I havent looked in the car itself yet). 

Or does this club have tool lending/hire that could help?

Thanks

timing pins.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Graham, I've not done this job yet, but it seems to be common knowledge among the forumists to use drill bits of the correct size to lock the cams and a simple wood or metal dowel with a slotted end fitted in the crankshaft sensor mount to engage the correct reluctor wheel lobe to lock the crankshaft.

I've read somewhere that a slotted broom handle will do the job.

Make the bits chap - they are simple items. I distinctly remember the kit used to do my v8 - and it really is just a few bits of machined steel

thanks for replies - confirms my view - can't believe the prices for basic bits of metal!!

Not too sure if I'd trust the crank positioning to a piece of wood - knowing my luck it would split and I'd end up havonig to re-time the cams as well as replace the timing belts!

I'll work something out I'm sure - it's not a job to make a mess of.

Graham

How long does it take to do the belts.  Local garage says it’s a 6 hour job?

Castle sports cars Stansted.  Any recommendations appreciated..  

Bell and Colvill quoted 8 hours! 😲

2 hours ago, cweeden said:

Bell and Colvill quoted 8 hours! 😲

Some will air on the side of caution on older cars for reasons such as seized parts etc.  Plenty of good things said about Bell and Colvill. :)