free hit
counters
Esprit S2 number plate bulbs - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Looks like I have returned to the same problem I abandoned three years ago:

The number plate lights won't fit properly. Judging from the amount of holes on the bumper looks like even at the factory they had several goes at fitting before managing to shove it in. The problem is that the festoon bulb holders are too long, especially on the SJ replacement parts I have. So the bulb does not sit in the middle of the lens, it's held right out towards the edge and fouls on the bumper cutout. 

IMG_4432

IMG_4433

Has anyone encountered the same problem and come up with a solution? Some shorter holders would do the trick I think. Any sparkies out there?

Edited by Freemason

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think they're the same as on the original Mini

Correct. Lucas type L860.

s-l1600.jpg

And here's the new replacement part. The clips are longer and that's why I'm having trouble fitting. I might buy the old part just for the clips.

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Freemason

Finally got the new lenses on. With the short clips taken from my old lenses they fit with a bit of fiddling. With the newer longer clips the only way to make it fit is to flip the clips around so the bulb is on the other end of the lens, then you can slip the bulb under the bumper without the rubber seal getting in the way. Given the hand-made nature and shall we say not exactly McClaren craftsmanship of these cars, I expect every one will be different and not all will have the difficulties I had. 

I had no problem with the bulbs , clips or lenses. Still , I simply soldered in a small ledstrip between the two copper clips. Easy enough, a lot clearer and you can forget about those bulbs. 

And don't go talking about originality :P. You don't see it , You can simply unsolder it , nothing is lost.

My ‘72 Pontiac has rear drum brakes, but if I had the time, money and inclination I’d swap them out for a set of disc brakes. The same goes for lights, etc. Originality is fine, but when it comes to safety items, unless you plan to will your car to a museum, it should be fine to upgrade specific items—such as more visible lights—when practical.