free hit
counters
Suspension Adjusting - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

A question for those of you with knobs on your bouncy bits:

How hard is access to the bottom of the rear shock to turn the adjuster?

It looks like it would be awkward with the wheel in place and the big lower wishbone in the way.

On my old S2 it was fine because of the smaller wishbone.

I’m thinking of upgrading to get a bit of adjustability for trackdays but I don’t want to drag a jack and/or wheel removal tools around.

On a more exotic note, what about Ohlins TTXs? Can you get to the adjusters through the spokes of the rear wheel? (with an extension bar for example)

Fronts I’m assuming are fine as you can turn the wheel.

Cheers Guys.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

And the tumbleweed rolls silently down TLF Main Street ......

Anyone like to help me out?

Pretty please!

I can only tell for the nitron 3 ways, I can not get to the bottom of them at the front, with the new ride height, I can on the rear but need to seriously flex... I run the standard wheel, think you need to jack up the car .. sorry can't help more :/

On the 2 ways I couldn’t get to rears at bottom without removing rear wheel, but from above maybe I need to crawl around on floor more.   Had no problems with fronts, just put steering on full lock to reach.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Coincidently, I’ve been crawling around under a 380 with Nitrons at B&C today and, while I could just about touch the rear rebound adjuster, I certainly couldn’t turn it.

I wonder if you parked on a kerb wether that would give enough access.

Otherwise it’s just having to drive to trackdays with stiff suspension, which partially defeats the object of having adjustable dampers for me.

The rear rebound adjuster on the two and three way Nitrons can be adjusted if the car has forged wheels.

There is just sufficient space between the wheel and the disc to make adjustments without being 'under the car', this is not the case with the standard cast wheels, if you have a big brake upgrade or you have hands like Billy Bumter .WARNING WARNING WARNING do NOT try this if the brakes are HOT you will burn yourself, you have been WARNED

Same applies to the one way Nitrons

• Like 2

Thanks Dave.

btw, what about the Öhlins? Did you ever fit yours?

Can you get at the knobs, being as they look to be a bit clear of the wishbone?

Just get the wheels off. Much easier than faffing about trying to reach through and not being 100% sure you're turning the right way...

Sorry George don't agree

Messing about jacking the car etc etc vs popping your hand between the wheel and disc. I know which is easier

If you people really cant turn the adjusters the right way, removing the wheels wont help.

• Haha 1

To be fair, I almost always change my wheels for track use anyway. I hate squishing my hand in to try and adjust dampers, one of the nicest things about having 3 ways for sure!

I have the 3-way Nitrons. It isn't too difficult to change the rears, just lie on the floor and stick your hand up.  Does help if you have someone looking through the spokes to guide you.

Right, after reading some of the comments, I decided I was being a tart and had another go.

Getting my shoulder as far under the car as possible I can get my hand manoeuvred to where the adjusters will be.

I know I could pop the wheel off at home in seconds with my jack/battery impact gun/torque wrench/etc but I’d rather not drive all the way to Spa (for example) with track damping and I don’t want to drag my jack/battery impact gun/torque wrench/etc all the way to Spa, so adjuster access is what I’m after for when I get there.

Now, back to deciding what to buy...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Sorry George don't agree

Messing about jacking the car etc etc vs popping your hand between the wheel and disc. I know which is easier

Will have to try this tomorrow. 

Right, just to answer my own question for future searchers...

I’ve joined the Öhlins club (with 15% softer springs for my mainly road use) and can confirm the adjusters are accessible without taking the wheels off.

Fronts are easy. Don’t even need to turn the wheels. Just reach around the front of the tyre at the bottom. You can even adjust the preload without removing the wheel.

Rears are more awkward but still easy. You need to lie down on your back beside the car, feet rearwards, then get your shoulder under the sill and reach up over the wishbone and brake hose. There’s a forearm shaped notch in the undertray you need to get your arm in and a supple wrist helps. A couple of goes to get the technique nailed and it’s no problem now. Wheel off for preload though.

Hope this helps someone sometime.

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood but i thought the adjuster knobs for the 3 way Nitrons were under front access panel and in the engine bay 

You have misunderstood. He fitted Ohlins, not Nitrons. 

And even if I had fitted Nitrons,  this technique would still apply to the rebound adjusters on the bottom of the dampers. 😁

On 05/06/2018 at 19:51, Bravo73 said:

You have misunderstood. He fitted Ohlins, not Nitrons. 

So what are the adjustment knobs  under the front access panel and either side of the engine on 3 way Nitrons. I haven’t been able to look at the manual as it’s still locked in boot.

Those are for high and low speed compression damping, located on the remote reservoirs. 2 out of your 3 way adjustments.

The third is rebound adjustment which is on the bottom of the actual damper body, for which my post above will help.

When you can read your manual it should all become clear.

FYI, The Öhlins are 2-way and don’t have the remote reservoirs so both the compression and rebound adjusters are at the bottom of the damper.

As per this pic:

ABADD6FF-9D1C-4B73-87BE-C85338605526.thumb.jpeg.6a9eda129ba36cce401183ba0e83a743.jpeg

Edited by KJD

Right , got it now,

Thanks for the explanation 👍🏽