free hit
counters
McLaren Technology Centre - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

McLaren Technology Centre

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice pics Bibs, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the launch of TMF :-)

Trevor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the good fortune to visit their old factory a couple of times when they were building the F1 back '93 (I was helping them sort out some comms issues at the time - Murray wouldn't allow an external antenna to spoil the lines......). That was impressive enough but this place is something else. Would love to visit sometime. Nice one Bibs.

The orange F1 XP1 LM, it's valued at around £30m if you're interested! :blink:

Those are very nice front indicators indeed.
I already have the chance to own 2 out of 3 of the cars with them. Not too sure I will ever be able to buy the third one, though! :cry::D

Nice, nice, but when will you show us pics of the work going on at the Hethel factory?

The cars previous owner is now Director of McLaren Special Operations, it has free reign of the grounds in any state :D

Anyone recognise the wheels on the £30m XP1? 

5 hours ago, NedaSay said:

Nice, nice, but when will you show us pics of the work going on at the Hethel factory?

None of these pics are of work going on, they were all taken in the designated area (the boulevard) where they display a selection of their collection of cars. . You aren't allowed pics elsewhere in the factory, I'd have loved to have shown what production looked like.

Lotus don't have something like this (yet) or I'd have shared them long ago and to be fair, I've shared an awful lot of pics from Hethel over the years. 

• Like 1

Great you got to experience it, I've been down that boulevard more times that I can care to think, and it never ceases to amaze when you stop and think of what some of those cars have achieved and with whom.

On 3/15/2018 at 05:09, Bibs said:

The cars previous owner is now Director of McLaren Special Operations, it has free reign of the grounds in any state :D

Anyone recognise the wheels on the £30m XP1? 

None of these pics are of work going on, they were all taken in the designated area (the boulevard) where they display a selection of their collection of cars. . You aren't allowed pics elsewhere in the factory, I'd have loved to have shown what production looked like.

Lotus don't have something like this (yet) or I'd have shared them long ago and to be fair, I've shared an awful lot of pics from Hethel over the years. 

Oh yes, you did! But I read somewhere that they were about to complete the work on the skeleton that was left behind by the previous management and I think this would warrant a new walk around the Hethel campus.  

It's going to be done soon, as is a 'Customer Experience Centre' in Hethel. You heard it here first and we'll be the first with pics too :)

• Like 2

The first tme i went, i was told that Martin would see me shortly. While i was wondering who Martin wad, i was shown into Martin Whitmarsh's office.  He was immaculatley dressed in a suit while i had just got off an overnight, economy flight from Indianapolis. He asked me some questions about some draft aerodynamic regulations that Indycar had, unbeknowst to me, released and knew nothing about.  The Ron came in and took him off to some meeting and I went to see the person i had come to meet.  The next time, my meeting was in Dr. Van Mannen's office ( he was head of McLaren Applied Technology who supplied our ecus)

Now all those people have gone from the company.  I hooe it wasn't because they were wasting their time with me.

A very impressive facility and, with entering by a lift that takes you down to a long, white corridor with no apparent exit, very much like a James Bond villains's headquarters.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 18:44, Bibs said:

It's going to be done soon, as is a 'Customer Experience Centre' in Hethel. You heard it here first and we'll be the first with pics too :)

So hum details details, where will this new customer experience center be? Will it be in that curved building right next to the track?

36245807361_0e1c8c3030_b.jpg

And is the new Classic Lotus building already open for visits?

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1

Ah is that Ansar Ali's old car? He's done quite well I think, spoke with him when he was at Zenos.

Has he? He did nothing good at Lotus, almost ruined Caterham, and Zenos had to be rescued from failure. All IMHO of course :ph34r:

I didn't say he's done good things lol, he's just done well to end up at the bit of McLaren for the customers with FAAAAAR too much money

On 6 April 2018 at 15:35, tim_marra said:

Has he? He did nothing good at Lotus, almost ruined Caterham, and Zenos had to be rescued from failure. All IMHO of course :ph34r:

That's a bit harsh I think. His brief at Caterham was to steady the ship and build it into a business which could be sold on by the venture capitalists who owned it at that time. He completed this successfully, so moved on to co-found Zenos but left them a good year before they ran into trouble, so I don't think the blame for that can be laid at his door to be honest.

I've met him a couple of times and thought he was a really nice bloke.

Edited by Spinney

Why do we always seek to "shoot people down"?  Never look for the positives but always the negatives...  I guess it is human nature.  And @JayEmm - as far as car ownership is concerned it is possible to have "FAAAAAR too much money" lol.