free hit
counters
Original heatshields for early Turbo Esprit - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TAR

Original heatshields for early Turbo Esprit

Does anyone have any pictures of the original heat shields as fitted to a Turbo Esprit prior to MY87?

I believe they were made from ferrobestos (a type of asbestos) rather than crinkly metal. I'm need most of them for my car and want it to look as original as possible.

:) 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Surely someone can help?

You might have luck looking at the resto section and ask someone who happens to have the engine out because its impossible to picture these in situ.

Not sure what you would do anyway with pictures because it would not seem possible to reproduce these. They were probably molded, is the stuff available these days to mold them from?

The pictures are to get a better idea of what they look like and where they fit. 

I want to try and copy the original ones.

Hi Tim,

My 81 dry sump engine is currently out so I can take a pic of the heatshield mounted on the back of the boot floor and also l/h engine mount shields. The heat shield mounted on the cam housings is in pretty poor shape but I'll post this also if needed. I'm planning on replacing this and I'm keen to stick to original too but in this case I'll probably go with the g3 (I think it's called) as I think it's a better solution. I'm currently away but will post pics Sunday.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Additionally, off the top of my head, there are also a couple above the downpipes in the wheelarch,  not forgetting the obvious one next to the turbo.     If they did countain asbestos, presumably the material is NLA.   They were expensive when available new.

Thanks @Steve4012 

I have an original top damper heatshield and the one mounted to the back of the boot floor (both new). I also have the major remains of the wheelarch one.

The ones I am interested in are shown below. Really want to know how they are constructed so I can try and reproduce the finish if not the original material. I don't think I could live with the crinkly metal ones used on the later cars. :) 

5aac2a6d5e097_Lotusheatshileds.png.2c7662ce9f1689309a893dfad279fc87.png

They are molded from what looks like an asbestos composite, maybe the same stuff as garage roofs used to be made with but thinner. 

It would be interesting to research whether a more modern material is available which could be used, some kind of heatproof kevlar matting maybe, with high-temp resin? Molds could be taken from existing ones. There is fabric available which is very heatproof but not sure about how to make it into a rigid form.

Agree that reproducing these would be better then bending bits of flat heatshield.

I am also curious about the part 61 in the diagram. I have seen many cars without this including mine and the one I owned before, they only have the inner flat shield 60.

Don't think Ive ever seen 61. At the moment I'm trying to come up with a heat shield for the top tube of the chassis that runs by the exhaust manifold. All cars seem to suffer here with rust which I assume is heat related. Galveston being burnt off.  Anyone else protected this area?

Don't know if this helps, but if the turbo heat shield is the same as the S4/S4s, then I made a new one as shown. There's also a piece of mirror-finish stainless steel to cover it, I seem to recall Sparky got PNM to make him one of those, but in any case it's just bent, with four holes in it, nothing fantastic.

No. 66 is a spacer, the thickness of the material, and there are penny washers either side to prevent it compressing. I blagged a sample of Firefly millboard, and covered it in Thermal Velocity self adhesive heat shield. It's worked very well,  and is still in place.

2015-03-01 17.33.23.jpg

2015-03-01%2017_33_16_zpscolytve6.jpg

2015-03-05%2016_32_04_preview_jpeg.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ian @Chillidoggy That looks very similar to the original in shape. It's good to see it in place as it makes it much easier to understand. 

@Andyww yes, it would be great to find something which can be moulded to look like the originals but from modern materials. I'll have to look into that.

The part numbers are identical for TE and S4s, so it’s the same heat shield.

If you get stuck, I might have some pieces left.

• Thanks 1

As far as getting some new parts made out of high temperature resin system it will be expensive. You cant use tooling block moulds (the cheaper alternative) as the cure temperature will be too high. You will have to go with aluminium tooling and that will be very expensive (as will be the cloth). I don't think a low temperature resin system will do the job (probably only good for 120 deg C). For anyone with existing parts that they want to re use you can spray with BBQ heat proof silver from somewhere like B&Q (used in racing so don't worry about its humble origin, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400ML-Ultra-High-Heat-Proof-Aerosol-Spray-Paint-Stove-BBQ-Engine/142665702833?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=441649082510&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649) or Zircotec is the best answer. I am getting some other parts done today so I will find out how much it is.

cheers

C43

• Thanks 1

Did you manage to get any pictures?

@Steve4012

Apologies for delay. I don't have 60 or 61 in your diagram either. 

Cheers, Steve.

rps20180328_090009.jpg

rps20180328_090054.jpg

rps20180328_090129.jpg

rps20180328_090155.jpg

rps20180328_090216.jpg

enginemount rps20180328_083140.jpg

Steve, that top photo brings back memories! Mine was in a similar condition.

Dunno if this will help Tim, but if you have a look at pages 4 & 5 in my refurb thread, there's some photos of the later engine mount shield, and how it goes together. Also, from Steve's photos of the top spring mount, the S4's moved away from the moulded 'asbestos-type' heat shield to using a simple bit of stainless steel, and the same for shielding the tyre from the exhaust. I guess it depends on whether you're chasing originality, though.

I've just been under the car and had a look. what I said earlier was not entirely true, because there are some moulded heatshields fitted, I just hadn't noticed them before, they look like part of the body. Sorry, I hope didn't give you a bum steer!

There are also stainless shields as I said, one on top of the spring platform, the other the semi-circular affair shielding the tyre.

@Steve4012 Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like you have some later shields (the metal plate ones), unless you know they are original?

10 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I guess it depends on whether you're chasing originality, though.

Thats exactly why I'm trying to establish what they looked like originally. :) 

The metal ones are definitely not original. They were all originally the molded stuff.

I know one thing, they've been on there a long time! Shape wise they are the same as per the parts manual but no mention of their material. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TAR said:

@Steve4012 Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like you have some later shields (the metal plate ones), unless you know they are original?

Thats exactly why I'm trying to establish what they looked like originally. :) 

I suspect this is going to be an impossible task. Have you tried a breaker? Lotusbits etc?

I've managed to locate a couple of new old stock ones but have more to get. I know it's a challenge but they won't be the only parts which are like hens teeth.

I still have ideas for making reproduction ones if it can be done at a reasonable price.

1 hour ago, TAR said:

I've managed to locate a couple of new old stock ones but have more to get. I know it's a challenge but they won't be the only parts which are like hens teeth.

I still have ideas for making reproduction ones if it can be done at a reasonable price.

Good luck with the search!

I imagine that all Esprits could have been fitted with similar panels? The idea of making reproduction ones is intriguing, as I cannot believe you’re the only one who will be wanting such things in the future.