free hit
counters
GT430 - exhaust button - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
SFO

GT430 - exhaust button

is it definitely the case that an exhaust button can be installed post delivery to make the engine/exhaust louder up to 4.5k rpm?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes it can but it's not advised and won't help in the event of a warranty claim.

• Thanks 1

why is it not advised?

Lotus have to comply with new legislation. The 400 and 410 escape as they were not considered new cars from a homologation point of view. That also applies to the GT410 Sport. Clearly the GT430 is considered to be a new model.

Lotus can’t comply with legislation then tell all their customers to ignore it. They have, however, made the exhaust button very easy to activate. The warranty is another issue. If a part that is totally unrelated fails, it would seem very unreasonable to null and void the entire warranty. I would like to think goodwill would be shown but technically Lotus would not be obliged to. Same goes for an after market exhaust or any other mods.

In my experience Lotus have been very fair about things like this, including cars that have been used on track but their policy is could change at any time.

• Thanks 1

Bummer.  I have the exhaust open all the time on current 380 and did same with Evora 400. For me it’s what made the car feel special even at low speeds.

I walked away from a 2011 R8 V10 spyder because it didn’t have an option to open the exhaust at lower revs. Sounded bland at normal revs 

How do Lamborghini and Ferrari get away with it then.  My mates Perfomante can be set to loud mode at tickover, so bit bemused why Lotus are different ?

http://wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/

These new regs come into force later this year and Lotus will have to comply with them as Jonny says above. Pre-type approved cars such as the Sport (and GT)410 are ok, newly homologated cars such as the GT430 are not. 

Booooo, we will end up scenario like Porsche 981’s holding their money  better than 718 due to noise difference.  I wouldn’t want a Lotus that is quiet up to 4K revs :(

• Like 2

If it means that much to you it's easily reversed. I think you'll find the GT430 feels pretty special at low speeds even when it's not shouting. It's certainly nothing like a 718! It's not that quiet below 4500rpm either!

First 5 blips here are below 4500rpm.

• Like 1

Ah was expecting the same as 400 when exhaust closed, which is spookily quiet until exhaust valve opens.  Yours sounds ace !

• Like 1

U can always put it in Race mode and have the valve open at all revs... don’t we? Like I drive my 400.

Nope Race mode is still 'quiet' until 4500rpm on a GT430. Same must apply to the Exige Cup 430.

However Race mode does increase the idle speed to 1000rpm for whatever reason. So it does sound a bit more racy because of that.

I believe it's due to more overlap on the valve timing, it does certainly sound (and feel) more racy though :)

@The Pits thanks for the video. It certainly sounds louder than the standard exhaust with the value closed.

I'm wondering if lotus will install the button for me if I ask nicely. I really would like to have the button on my exige cup 430. It's not a deal breaker, as it's not totally quiet and the exhaust opening up after 4.5k rpm is slightly progressive.

9 hours ago, The Pits said:

Nope Race mode is still 'quiet' until 4500rpm on a GT430. Same must apply to the Exige Cup 430.

However Race mode does increase the idle speed to 1000rpm for whatever reason. So it does sound a bit more racy because of that.

3C4AA6D1-7B2F-4400-ACAE-2A9BAEE6B4D6.png

If that's correct then there are some differences to the Evora GT430. For a start the rpm limit is 6800rpm in the default mode and the exhaust valve is never permanently open. Race mode works slightly differently in an Evora too. The GT430 still uses the ESP system developed for the Evora 400. As I understand it, race mode in the Exige starts by allowing slip and then progressively reins it in. The Evora system starts with more ESP intervention and then gradually relaxes it from there.

1 hour ago, Hakim0v said:

3C4AA6D1-7B2F-4400-ACAE-2A9BAEE6B4D6.png

Can you provide me with the link to that pls? 

For what car is this manual?

Edited by BAS

On 16/03/2018 at 05:05, BAS said:

@The Pits thanks for the video. It certainly sounds louder than the standard exhaust with the value closed.

I'm wondering if lotus will install the button for me if I ask nicely. I really would like to have the button on my exige cup 430. It's not a deal breaker, as it's not totally quiet and the exhaust opening up after 4.5k rpm is slightly progressive.

The button is already installed (although doesn’t have the exhaust pic on it). It looks like a blanker.... but it still pushes like a button.... and more importantly - still functions as a button should ;)

14 minutes ago, anthonyyule said:

The button is already installed (although doesn’t have the exhaust pic on it). It looks like a blanker.... but it still pushes like a button.... and more importantly - still functions as a button should ;)

so you have stealth active exhaust 👏

17 minutes ago, SFO said:

so you have stealth active exhaust 👏

I couldn’t possibly say.....

1 hour ago, anthonyyule said:

Anthony,

I am quite disappointed you have such issues with ur GT430. Was waiting for ur feedback on this car, since u’ve been from the 1st to get it. I am expecting mine in a month or so. One question: can you confirm, if Race mode button does open the Exhaust Valve from 1k, as it does in any Evora 400? Cuz I had such an answer, and I posted tge Grid I received from the Lotus technicals.

Let’s be clear. I have had NO problems with my GT430 Lotus. I have had a shitty issue with the stereo though... and Lotus after sales.

quite distinct and separate I would say... so no issues with the car itself.

as for race mode.... I’ve not engaged that yet as the car has only just gone in for its 1k oil service and I elected not to play with different modes until after the oil had been changed 👍

• Like 1

Mine works, except when in sport or race it reverts back  and will only open at 4500 rpm.

On 3/17/2018 at 12:54, anthonyyule said:

Are you saying that the blanket button is functional and does indeed open up the exhaust? I'm confused.

He seems to be, yes. Would this conversation be better via PM?

On 17/03/2018 at 20:54, anthonyyule said:

Reading this my thoughts are it’s a classic Chapmanism