free hit
counters
Blown head gasket? Video - Page 4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Techspy

Blown head gasket? Video

My engine sounds exactly the same, it has that kind of chirping noise going on until it warms up and gets quieter.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
18 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I don't mean "bottom end" with air sucking through teeth and shaking of head, just "bottom end" as in, it's a feature. Tolerances change as it warms up; everything's peachy!

Ah yes, I get you now. :)

37 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I never do clearances unless the head is bolted to the block. This improves accuracy and helps avoid an issue like John's.  I'm convinced the issue here was an unseated shim, as a few thou shouldn't have zeroed compression.

+1 here.

The clearance isn't so small that a few thou takes up all of it.

I agree. With the block not mounted that valve was a perfect .007 with a 113 shim. There was definitely something else amiss here. I just don't know what it was. I set each shim on the valve tower, and had each cup in the cam tower and attached it. I had a shim that was kinda tight but it wasn't this one. Maybe some carbon etc was between the valve and head and not until it was turned over and fired in the car did it come out?

John
94 S4