free hit
counters
snapped tailgate cable - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kelvin

snapped tailgate cable

Hi any ideas on how to get the tailgate open when the release cable has snapped on a 1978 elite.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I don't know of an easy way into the boot if the tailgate won't open. You may end up having to remove the rear interior glass.

Someone else may have a better solution. :) 

That's the only way I have heard of it being done, unless you have a spare tail light that you can sacrifice. :blush:

Not a very slick design! I have a spare interior glass divider if you should break the original and so e spare light bits and bobs.

Edited by mikeeech

I don't know of how it is all set up on the Elite. Is there no possibility of drilling a hole in the bodywork near the latch that would enable you to operate the latch with a screwdriver or something like that? And then fill the hole up later?

I have just searched out and found pictures of the rear of the car. If there is only one latch in the middle, it 'appears' as if it may be doable by a small hole. Not sure if the bumper would have to come off first?

Hi thanks iv'e got it open by drilling out the two glass bolts that hold the catch to the tailgate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This happened on my S3. Not ssure if the cable setup on the Elite is the same, but once I got my one opened I attached a second piece of wire to the catch and had it come out through a hole in the floor in case it ever happened again. I just tucked it away out of site, but where I could reach it if required.

Kelvin,

I have done the same as john walsh,'. run a wire from the cam in the boot through a drain hole and finish it with a nut to stop it pulling back into the boot, it can't be seen from the outside as its located below the bumper.

John