free hit
counters
Starting issues, turns over but won’t start - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Beny

Starting issues, turns over but won’t start

I have a 2010 Evora with 37k miles. It’s been running fine until 2 days ago at the bank.  I went to start it, turns over and attempts to fire, but the ECU clicks several times shutting in off. There are no codes or lights lit up. I had it towed to my house.  I pulled the interstate battery and had it tested. The battery showed to be good! After connecting the battery back up, the car had the same starting issue on the first 2 attempts then fired right up on the third attempt. The car has been starting fine the last couple days.  I now have trust issues.  Any thoughts on what could cause this?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi and welcome Scott. I'd perhaps get a 2nd opinion on the battery or just buy a new one. They don't last long on the Evora and your symptoms do sound like a dead battery to me. 

• Thanks 1

I've recently had to replace my fuel pump. A couple of times the car cut out but started again. Then eventually would turn over but not start. Strangely it didn't show any codes til after I replaced it then the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. 😁! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bibs said:

Hi and welcome Scott. I'd perhaps get a 2nd opinion on the battery or just buy a new one. They don't last long on the Evora and your symptoms do sound like a dead battery to me. 

Thanks guys! I’ve heard the Evora goes through batteries!  I’ll start there, then look at fuel pump.

I went to start my NA this morning not started drove it last night to cinema parked up fine but then this morning tried to start but then nothing 

had to leave it as I needed to take daughter to riding lesson so when home will call AA to test battery 

hopefully it’s battery ?🙏

any recommendations on battery type I need to get which will be likely from Halfords given the time ? 

1 minute ago, Cdm2018 said:

any recommendations on battery type I need to get which will be likely from Halfords given the time ? 

Worth a mention - FFM members get a 10% discount voucher from Halfords don’t they @Bibs

Cheers any brand type recommended ? 

AA man coming in next hour they are so busy my Evora picked best weekend time to play up 😧

The one with the longest halford warranty 😂 - Evoras do seem to like munching batteries 

Lol

fair point I would be sure they still get out of the warranty somehow ????

Halfords system tells me Yuasa Silver £98 has good reviews ?

any others ? 

Starter motor not battery ? What a disappointment ! 

Sounds like battery to me. Classic symptoms. I'd get a trickle charger if you can.

AA man tried to boost battery, tested it  but there’s nothing firing , all lights come on and doors open no problem 

he said it’s most likely to be starter motor so I am now stuck until Tuesday and my weekend plans with enjoying the car are blown away ! Truely gutted 

I need to get car into a low loader to garage next Tuesday I am hoping that my warranty with Snows will cover it ????

3 months of ownership and annoying series of issues  

59 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

3 months of ownership and annoying series of issues  

Try buying the sorts of Esprits I do

• Haha 1

Bless

yes should count my blessings !

Still hopefully warranty should cover the replacement starter motor ?  

Just spoke to PJS who will hopefully pick the car up on thurs morning as their low loader is out today.

only issue is locating the starter motor part as lotus saying 10 days !!!!! ☹️

Snows will cover it under warranty thank goodness 👍🏻

No as I have left in capable hands of PJS in Burton as they are trying to locate the part with lotus ? 

They may have to go for WOSP part as 10 days in not reasonable time in my opinion ?

Waiting for AA man to arrive this morning to load Evora into transporter to take to PJS in burton 

snows have agreed to cover the car under its warranty if the starter motor is to replaced however they wouldn’t cover the cost of transport which I find little confused ? If your car has a issue where it can’t be driven surely you need to get it to garage ? Anyway thankfully AA cover sorts it 

nexf issue is likely to be waiting for part as snows /pjs want to use lotus part to ensure warranty is sustained ?

Just quick update

PJS have obtained a starter motor from lotus who happen to be coming over so it should arrive on Wednesday 

I asked PjS to look at my boot leaks still isssue will post separate update 

asked to give car full look over ? 

Sorry to hear this Clive - hope it gets sorted and is back with you soon for the glorious summer months - I've heard good things about PJS, so you're in good hands I think!

Yes PJS been lovely people they seem genuinely concerned and attentive so can’t ask any more

have to say even Snows have reacted quickly to accept warranty covers ! 

I just need to sort out how I can get to PJS to pick car up or try and arrange something which will fit into my work schedule etc 🤔

Car all sorted PJS did a great job and Snows were prompt in trying to source a part 

big thank you to all concerned 

only drawback was boot leaks not sorted will post thread on interior forum