Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
78 elite 2.0 on ebay - Cars/Parts For Sale - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

78 elite 2.0 on ebay

tom kilner

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
6 minutes ago, clivef38 said:

Let me know how much you pay for it. :). Or maybe go half . You can sort the diff. :sofa:

you can have one of the cylinders to give you a full set then!! :sofa: Touche lol

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

1 minute ago, oilmagnet477 said:

@directordanw - please can you send me your dictionary. I can burn it to keep warm in my workshop!

It's a useful book; it includes handy phrases like 'this shouldn't take long' and 'I'm sure I put that bit somewhere safe'.

Regular restorer. Rather less reliable forum poster!

The original seam trim (with the chrome on top and bottom of the strip) I have only found available in the us and shipping is expensive. I did find a company in the UK that supposedly stocked it but didn't have any or any future prospect of getting any. Some original lotus stock went on eBay a year or so ago for 150 pounds!

Cheers Mike for the info.

My concern would be the seam that the waste trim is glued/attached to appears to have been shaved off. 

There was another post on here that suggested this may raise concern regards integrity of the body shell as this is where the upper and lower molds were joined during production. 

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Judging by the pictures it's difficult to tell how the seam is. The pictures appear to show white marks in the blue where the trim would sit and may be an indication that the trim has been peeled off and removed some paint. It would be reasonable able to assume that if this is true then the seam is intact. 

It looks like a pretty reasonable car to me. Early days in the auction.

My Elite had trim on it when it arrived - a simple black (rubber?) strip that was glued on at the join. I'm pretty sure there never has been anything different. Not sure if different variants/ages had different treatment? Mine looks identical to the blue one in the ad (as does the Éclat - both 1976 cars). I'm sure I have seen a photo of a car with a more pronounced 'lip' but the trim I have wouldn't have worked with that? Confused.......

NOW EVEN MORE CONFUSED!!!!

What I said just now is wrong! My Elite is like this (and as far as I know is stock as the bodywork is original as far as I know):

IMG_5186.JPG.c6cb089d35ab771d6a72b31e1caf7a51.JPG

Flat profile trim stuck on to the raised area as per.

and my Éclat (sorry, My Son's!) is like this:

IMG_5184.thumb.JPG.bd772a08c423e0262f486017ff075b24.JPG

Much more of a pronounced lip covered by a channel.

Not sure of the change by Lotus but my car has only had 1 owner prior to me (sadly deceased so I can't research) but I'm pretty sure paintwork is original....

In either case, I don't think there is anything to worry about unless the 'hump' has been removed completely - have seen that done and could understand how this would lead to a weakened structure. The presence of the sticky out (technical term!) bits IMO would not add structurally.

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A075U6035V.htm

SJ's indicate that early models had no lip - therefore a different profile trim. How that works with my cars being both R reg. Éclat is 1977 IIRC. Elite is 1976.

Depends on how original you want to go. I am for sadness a member of the SAAB owners club and when you go to club events or classic car shows with the 96 the first thing most in the know just run there fingers around the wing inner edge to see if it has the double lip. Ok the wings are bolt on but no longer available so after market is the only option. But it's another classic on the road. Your car do what you are happy with.

Made £3300 in the end - OK, she was a runner but is this the final indication that Elite prices are on the up?

Great result! Good luck to the new owner - let's hope they reveal all on here soon!

• Like 1

they are bidding up their own vehicles. A quick look at the bidders shows it quite clearly. Odd how one userid has bid at the same time on the Elite, a camper van and 2 motorbikes. Must love buying from these guys.

Trouble is that Ebay just don't care.

:) 

It's getting there......