free hit
counters
Odd one - why did Lotus stop using black 'chargers? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
RoflOnMyWaffle

Odd one - why did Lotus stop using black 'chargers?

Hi guys :)

I got given the keys to a Sport 380 yesterday and when looking around it (and trying to not dribble) I noticed the 'charger is silver!

All the Sport 350s I've seen are black, as well as the Exige S - does anyone have an idea as to why they changed it? I MUCH prefer the black to be honest but hey.

If this has been asked before I am sorry, I tried to do a search but wasn't successful in finding an answer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cheaper to have untreated, silver supercharger. 

Yep, they found that they were going through a lot of pens for each supercharger. 

(Incidentally, the Evora S had an untreated, ‘silver’ supercharger. So there were plenty available at the factory). 

tight mother fekkers... now ask about the plastic spoiler tips diffuser surrounds :sofa:

Silver for awhile & now black again according to another thread.

Black again now after a lot of customer complaints 

So basically no need to worry? The black does look 10x better though. 

Quite happy with the silver as don’t spend much time looking at the engine bay and as you can’t see in through the Carbon Fibre louvres no one sees it. Might be a bit lighter without the logo as well !!!!!

But why Lotus started off with  black and the Lotus logo on top and then ditching the logo and going to silver is annoying. The 2018 380 Sport at Lotus Silverstone is silver with no logo , so looks hit and miss if you get black, as does not seem they have gone to black permanently 

as someone living in a very dusty place, the black charger in my exige s was hard to keep clean especially since you could see it through the rear window. now with the silver charger i don't have that issue anymore.

The TVS1900 is big, black, and beautiful :P

Here is a pic with a cat in my S engine bay, ignore the cat though and you'll see the state of black my supercharger was in and i used to clean it often. The second pic is how my current supercharger looks like after 4,000km and without ever cleaning it.

supercharger.jpg

I prefer this:LF1Engine.thumb.jpg.1f0ddb263f428711943e778dbbd16fef.jpg

that looks brand new, how do u keep it so clean??

I'm guessing he either cleans it or keeps it in the garage. 😏

Both.😊