free hit
counters
Engine Management light MiL - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cdm2018

Engine Management light MiL

Today I drove my 2010 NA for the very first time for more 20 miles or 30 mins , given I have had car for near six weeks.

on return journey waiting at traffic through a one way system I noticed amber light which I learnt it was Engine Management.

it was constant on not flashing so I reduced my already lower speed , my MPG was reading 33.8 so I was blasting the car on that trip !

rang Central Lotus to book it in mornjng any ideas if this is common issue ? 

To be honest I am thinking hope not another issue ?🙁

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you got an OBDII reader to read the code?

That will be much quicker (and cheaper) than taking the car straight to the dealer. If the light comes back, then you know that there is an actual problem that will need to be sorted. 

Hi Bravo

no I have not got the Reader you refer too ? Is it something you can purchase readily and do you have to be mechanically competent to use it ? 

The car is under warranty from Snows so booked in at central means they bill snows !

Just buy an OBD reader from ebay/amazon, they're under a tenner and install 'Torque' on your phone. It's dreadfully easy to use to read and clear the code and probably cheaper than the petrol you'll spend driving to Shottingham. 

Is it something you can purchase readily?

Yes. £10-20 off eBay. Search for OBD code reader

do you have to be mechanically competent to use it? 

No, as long as you can manage to find the OBD port.

This issue might not actually be covered under warranty - you might be charged the labour for investigation. 1hr (+VAT) will probably come to over £100. If there is a problem, that might subsequently be covered by the warranty.

If the engine management comes and the owners manual telling me to take to your dealer surely the warranty should cover this ? If there’s a fault you can’t detect it unless you diaognose it in first place ? 

Having only driven the car a handful of times to about 500-600 miles this engine issue shouldn’t arisen ? 

You will need to read the T&Cs for your warranty. ISTR that your car is much more than 3 years old (so it is no longer covered by the manufacturer’s warranty). 

So, what is & what isn’t covered (and who pays for any exploratory labour) will be covered under the T&Cs. The dealer might be willing to cover some items under goodwill which might not be covered specifically elsewhere. 

In any case, the only thing that the dealer is going to do initially is to plug in a code reader, make a note of the code then clear it. Then wait to see if the light comes back. (These cars throw up a lot of spurious warnings, often down to suspect sensors). You can save yourself a trip to the dealer by doing the first stage yourself. 

(Once you have the code, you might be surprised by what Mr Google can tell you about what is, or more likely isn’t, wrong with your car). 

Can anyone recommend a reader ? I looked on eBay and there’s masses of readers ranging from £20 to £70 

as the car booked into central lotus I will take it down and at least get a piece of mind if it’s checked out and it turns out to nothing more than a error message ?

Also is there a database of the codes you can look up or has anyone complied a list ? 

Cheers

Bibs mentioned an app you can down load which one is best as there’s a fair few ? Wondering which app has Lotus codes ? 

Torque is free. 

None of the apps will have the Lotus codes. But Google does. 

37 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

Cheers

Bibs mentioned an app you can down load which one is best as there’s a fair few ? Wondering which app has Lotus codes ? 

Hi Clive, diagnostic codes are the same across all makes and models, the art is being able to understand and diagnose the cause of said code.

8 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Torque is free. 

None of the apps will have the Lotus codes. But Google does. 

Slightly off topic, but can any one recommend a free iOS App like Torque; as all the ones I’ve found don’t seem great at getting codes like the paid Cartisa one I’ve been using?

Just back from Central Lotus Adam sorted the code took about 2 mins 

he suspects as I have only driven the car a few times at fairly conservative rates over the last few weeks the sensor activated

solution - give it the beans every now and then ! 

Hopefully with decent weather coming up I can get some nice trips in the car and will not get reoccurrence of the MiL ? 

Will look into buying a reader as suggested by the forum 

It's a lotus  spank it

• Like 1