free hit
counters
Aerial Replacement - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My aerial is missing, I didn't notice when I bought the car as the top fitting by the driver's mirror had a bit of black filler hiding the problem.

I've removed the filler and it looks like the aerial has broken off at some point and I can see the stud of a cable looking into the small hole. I may be able to pull the cable out a bit with nose pliers?

I want to replace it, but it looks to me like a pain to access?

Does the driver's door need to be removed to gain access, just the inner panels or worse?

Would it have been an electric operated aerial or manual pull out?

Thxs  

Stevens S3 1988 N/A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm not 100% sure but I think from the 88 model onwards, there is a removeable panel in the drivers footwell to access the aerial. It would have originally been electrically operated.

:) 

One thing you should check before buying is the size needed. (Measure the depth required...I recall that the depth in the Esprit is a limiting factor that narrows your choices.

if there IS an access provided, take a look and post back!

Thanks Tim, Gents, 

I will remove the trim and check. IT will likely mean removing or loosening the handbrake trim and perhaps seat for ease of access.

Has anyone experience of changing their aerial?

I removed my aerial years and years ago as it was broken, but I'm afraid I can't remember how I did it. I don't remember there being a special access panel though I'm afraid.

Are you keeping the car standard? If not, I fitted an aerial strip that sits above the headlining trim where the rear view mirror is and blanked off the hole on the wing. Worked well for the last 20 years, although I don't really listen to the radio to be fair! :)

One of these things.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Convertible-Classic-Car-interior-radio-AM-FM-aerial-internal-vintage/300937193481?hash=item4611412809:g:zsUAAOSwYVlaHFb3

Edited by Glyn Harper

That sounds like a great idea.

I have to remove the headlining fixings because my driver's side sun-visor is too floppy - kill 2 birds with one stone!.