free hit
counters
GT430 test drive - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Solstice

GT430 test drive

Yes they are a lot of money but there is a balance for volume verses production cost, and the price of using carbon fiber to make bespoke parts is a significant premium over GRP.

The trick of limited production for more money worked for PORSCHE and it tried and tested but at more than double the money, if your luckily enough to be eligible, yes eligible! go ask a PORSCHE dealer if you can buy a limited production version. 

Our Aussie distributor organise lots of LOTUS only track days and they are often sold out, I don't mean just single days which they but also I'm talking a special entry to TARGA TASMANIA fully organized, and this is a 6 day event.

https://targa.com.au/tc/

This is just one of many.

The key to sales for Lotus is exposure , I was on a trip to late last year and there was a 400 on display at the International airport and got my and may others attention.

TV advertising is great if you have the budget and maybe that will come but for now the reputation they are gaining is very impressive, remember Lotus have the highest buyer per test drive ration of any manufacturer at 30%

Am I convert absolutely but I have always owned and Loved LOTUS cars and may be that's the problem, but the car gets respect from the most unlikely people.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can anyone name a sports car that they wouldn’t want to be cheaper and more powerful?

I still feel short changed that no-one has managed to produce a supercar that sounds like an F1 car (used to!).

But not a current F1 car surely...

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

812 Superfast sounds pretty good and I'm not usually partial to a noisy car.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

A good friend of mine picks up his 812 Superfast in 4 weeks. Will try to get some video clips re the noise.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

Can anyone name a sports car that they wouldn’t want to be cheaper and more powerful?

I still feel short changed that no-one has managed to produce a supercar that sounds like an F1 car (used to!).

Try a 04 05 Gallardo.

8 hours ago, The Pits said:

Aventador gets close 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Not to my ears. Murcielago LP640 was closer for a pure high pitched scream. Lambo intentionally made the Aventador more ‘gutterall’ which is a shame but most punters like a more bassy growl. Lexus LFA is another contender for most F1-like noise and I heard that Toyota actually gave Lotus permission to use it for a new Esprit. Tragically Bahar canned it and blew a small fortune on developing a new Lotus V8. Of all his crimes this was the most heinous for me!

• Like 1

Would agree with Murci as I remember following one  in my Atom and the sound at high revs was epic.  However experienced same sound following friends Aventador at high revs, but hey it’s personal view.    Didn’t sound the same in the cabin mind you from many passenger rides.  

Either way , not enough cars these days with a decent exhaust note, 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

The growth of the aftermarket exhausts is testament to the need for sound, what I find amazing is how good a V6 Lotus tricked Toyota sounds, I’ve said it before but it’s sounds better than many new cars and Auto gearboxes in some remind me of flatulent cows.

Carrera GT accelerating under the Monaco GP tunnel 15yrs ago left me with that feeling that a pure v10 F1 was coming at me flat out :wub:. One of my best car sound memories ever 

Yes that's up there with the Lexus LF-A. It's what all expensive sports cars would sound like if it was up to me!

• Like 2

Yes it's amazing that we still have any 9,000 rpm na engines on sale at all.

The chargecooled Evoras sound about as good as a supercharged V6 can get, especially with the Ti exhaust. 8,000+rpm would sound exceptional if they were allowed to rev that high. Not going to happen though so we will have to enjoy them at 7,000rpm. At least they crescendo in terms of power and noise. In some ways more so than the Exige V6S's 7,200rpm.

• Like 1

Yes the sound of the V6 at the top end and the extra kick induce a real Adrenalin rush , I use the initial audible change as a gear change trigger.  

There are a few mechanical restrictions with the engine, as the 430 is rev limited to 6800, with some comment about smaller pulley supercharger life. I suspect the engine would rev harder but not with out being built with internals to cope with the extra forces something for the AM guys to spend some money on. I am told the engine as it stands is good for 550PS

Edited by au-yt

No all the 430 engined cars will rev to 7,000rpm, but you need to get it into SPORT or RACE mode to access all the revs. Only the Exige 380 is limited to 6800rpm.

Another 500 rpm would be nice but not many sports cars rev beyond 7k these days unfortunately. At least with the 430 there is strong torque all the way through so it makes the most of the rev range that its got.

• Like 1

Most engines have a  power band and extra revs have no gain, and unless the cams continue to make power extra revs are a waist, also engine max RPM is often there for engine life preservation.

I recon a fully " Blue printed" engine properly balanced with steel crank and rods, plus a set of performance cams would do the trick, but a lighter car is simpler and cheaper hence the 430.

Mind you a standard engine "blue Printed" would get you north of 420HP stock, as some 400s produce that much so I'm told. Personally more torque is where its at. 350 flt lbs Plus would be nice.

While every one focuses on HP/Ton the really interesting one is FT/Ton, as my 400 on paper matches a Ferrari 456 at 222Ft/Ton and the 400 is lower down but nothing matches 12 cylinders for smoothness except a V16, back to basics, weight is everything as LOTUS knows.

Edited by au-yt
  • Like 1