Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Throttle Cable - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Throttle Cable

Hi All

Any tips on how to remove and replace the throttle cable on my GT3

Tried pulling it out of the plastic sleeve that goes into the chassis tunnel but with no joy, unlatching the peddle end was the easy bit as my drivers seat is not in the car .

Cheers Paul 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cheers

I was hoping not to have to take any thing apart, but hear goes i have a look.   

Have you released the clamp down by the side of the transmission tunnel what holds the outer cable in place? This will stop it moving.

I changed my throttle cable recently and didn't have too many dramas.

I'm keen to see how it's routed in the engine bay though. On my car it's always fouled the engine cover, so I had to cut a fairly big section of the bottom of the engine cover where it sits above the exhaust. Anyone got any photos of it routes in the engine bay to the throttle body?

Cheers 

No have not released the clamp (did not realise there was one) this might be my problem

Just had a look at the parts diagram, and its starting to make sense 

Edited by PAUL GURNEY

Yeah, it's in the footwell. When you release that it should slide quite easily out, and the new one should slide in. There is an outer plastic pipe that it goes through so you should be able to just push the new one in.

That clamp is what you use to adjust the length of the outer cable. If it's not right, you won't have enough adjustment at the throttle body. You'll see what you come to do it. Just remember that clamp is important.

AllIMG_0964.thumb.JPG.5b92189869b91edf4b2894a05e9b6972.JPGIMG_0931.thumb.JPG.7fdec4d5c9b8b28667a2d7d4bb94e19e.JPGIMG_0930.thumb.JPG.d925f5186ba572c96b19e77200a216e5.JPG DONE  AND ADJUSTED

Thanks for the info, yes the clamp vital for adjusting the cable length (as i found out the first time and had to re do it)

The  only problem i came across  was i had to reengineer  the foot stop where the cable runs through it, the nipple on the end of the cable would not fit through the tube so it  had to be drilled out (reamed) and de burred    

IMG_0964.JPG

• Gold FFM

Does the new cable route though that whitish tube ??

really looking forward to the joys of tackling what should be a simple job. 4 seat bolts just ready and waiting to be sheared off

Only here once

I just replaced the inner core of the throttle cable, which had frayed at the pedal end. I fitted a barrel end  containing a grub screw from a 70s Elan to secure the throttle body side, been working fine for two years.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Yes Barry

She goes through the white plastic tube real easy. Yes take the seat out makes the job a lot easier. As you a can see you only need to pull away the carpet from the front of the tunnel.

I soaked my seat bolts in plenty of wd40 and they came easy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarBuff said:

I just replaced the inner core of the throttle cable, which had frayed at the pedal end. I fitted a barrel end  containing a grub screw from a 70s Elan to secure the throttle body side, been working fine for two years.

I considered this when I did mine, but the white outer plastic pipe runs the whole length under the armrest, behind the rear firewall and through into the engine bay so I ran my cable complete, retaining the factory pressed on parts.

A barrel and grub screw would be fine if you did have any complications, but a complete standard cable should just slide in.

Edited by Glyn Harper