free hit
counters
Radiator cap sizes - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
soldave

Radiator cap sizes

Bit of a strange one for you. Ordered a replacement radiator cap as part of a bigger order with SJ about a month ago, and just got the car back to put it on. But now I've come to realise the sizing is different. I've put pictures below which will explain it a little better, but my current cap has a different design to the new one. The new cap will also go on, but with a little more difficulty. The challenge is the outer part of the cap which bites down on the header tank and pulls it close.

The question is, which is good, and should I use the new cap?

2018-03-25%2018.00.41_zpsosqhtlpj.jpg

2018-03-25%2018.01.07_zpse9vs6dxw.jpg

2018-03-25%2018.01.34_zps6tcv2tc9.jpg

2018-03-25%2018.05.16_zpsccwzscjm.jpg

2018-03-25%2018.05.30_zps6xiioubp.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That looks like the cap Gerald replaced my Esprit one with. It was a right pig to get on & off - I check my water level each trip, so I was getting very frustrated with it - strangely, despite the impossible tight fit, water seemed to weep out of it. Eventually when taking it off one day (after a few months), it snapped into three pieces.

Replaced with an "original" cap, not had a problem since - I didn't think there was a problem with the cap on the tank before it was replaced.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

That looks like the cap Gerald replaced my Esprit one with. It was a right pig to get on & off - I check my water level each trip, so I was getting very frustrated with it - strangely, despite the impossible tight fit, water seemed to weep out of it. Eventually when taking it off once day (after a few months), it snapped into three pieces.

Replaced with an "original" cap, not had a problem since - I didn't think there was a problem with the cap on the tank before it was replaced.

Was your "original" cap the older design like the cap currently on my car? As far as I knew, I was ordering an "original" one or equivalent from SJ. Don't want to be overheating with the cap not working/sealing right.

No - looked very similar to the new one - not so shiny though.

This is what I have now - again looks very similar, but hasn't broken and comes off easily.

y4mnoAiKecZHLl9rtEhk6aBEMhCDKfi70Pp5f-cH

y4mFz2t2vpeNyfRm7Iu74WVNKcz-99vAFo0vp83j

You have different pressure settings. I think the cap which was crap for me was 13Lbs, whereas my current one (and the original) is 15lbs.

Thanks for the thoughts and swift replies. The current cap is 13psi whereas the replacement is 10psi (which does match the factory stated pressure).

Interesting...

Hi Soldave I too bought a replacement 10lb one and it was really  reluctant to turn / remove at first but for no apparent reason other than  the sheer abnormal number of times I`ve removed it to pour coolant in,  it is straightforward now as though it had to "wear" in.   

1 minute ago, basalte said:

Hi Soldave I too bought a replacement 10lb one and it was really  reluctant to turn / remove at first but for no apparent reason other than  the sheer abnormal number of times I`ve removed it to pour coolant in,  it is straightforward now as though it had to "wear" in.   

Thanks for the thoughts. Was your original cap the same design as the replacement, or was it the style of my older one pictured above?

It seemed similar but was slightly different in that the "lugs" seemed more solid and  less tinny,

-pure speculation but maybe because it was the original factory-fitted one. 

My replacement cap does seem identical to your newer one, bought it at a stall at the NEC show.