free hit
counters
Engine Mounting Buffer washers location - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
910Esprit

Engine Mounting Buffer washers location

I've searched but can't find a definitive answer.  Can anybody point me to a place in a Lotus manual or a picture that definitively confirms if the flat and recessed washers are fitted at the top or bottom of the mount?

The parts list pictures and deroure pictures are not clear

My logic (and other internet wisdom) suggests that the flat washer (A085E6010) should be on top and the 'u' shaped one (A085E6011E) should be at the bottom, which is how I have always fitted them.

However SJS photos show the 6010E (flat) as lower and 6011E ('U' shaped) as upper ?!     

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if I am going to be much help here. I am looking at the same problem but for the V8, there is a confusing array of expensive washers to use when mounting the engine in the car but no clear documentation of which orientation they should be in. I believe it is important since A they are expensive and B I think I got mine wrong and there is a nasty resonance in the cabin at about 1000rpm so I am having to re-do them.

The various washers themselves are not clearly distinguishable from each other by looking at the DeRoure diagrams (the best source I could find) so to be on the safe side I ordered new ones which come in nicely labelled bags that overcomes that issue. I didn't order new mounts (these were new 6 years ago when I put the engine back in before its long lay up off the road in the garage) and it is obvious where they go.

So I am pretty sure I know the correct order of the parts thanks to the DeRoure diagram and list. It's the orientation of the rubberised washers that is not 100% clear and then it is really only item #32 that could go either way.

530590977_EngineMountPartslist.jpg.be61a9fdc7b9d9828eb27efb71e70850.jpg

The Description in the list above gives a hint to the orientation of these two special washers sorting out the question mark on item #34.
Below are the parts laid out in the correct order but my question is which way up should item #32 go? Rubber side up or down? What does "stepped rubber inside" mean?

IMG_4113.thumb.JPG.45ec413d127466fb86ea0179a50128b4.JPG

If anyone knows I would be grateful for the help and I am hoping this info may be of some use to Steve but I doubt the mounts are the same on the 4 and 8 pot engines.

cheers

-Chris

Hi Chris, I put mine back together some time ago and cant remember the exact logic I used....   However, I'm certain that 32 will be 'rubber side down', to act upon the main metalastic bush.    I'm going to double check tomorrow which way I fitted them.   I shall dig out the 4 pot parts book, as I'm sure I don't have the smaller plain washers, but can see that they will provide more secure location for the engine mounting leg....

So quick re-check on Deroure - no additional plain washers on a G Turbo.  

Edited by 910Esprit

Well it poses another question, how tight do you do up the nut? I can see a possible outcome where the rubber is fully compressed and the smaller washer (#33) could be pinched between the metal of #32 and #26 (if it has a metal top?) negating all of the  rubber bushing of #32. I suspect I am over thinking this and need to start pulling it apart and figuring it out but I suspect there are many on here who have already been through this successfully. 🙂

cheers

-Chris

Also, according to Tim Engel the 'cupped' washer is fitted at the bottom - This contradicts the parts diagrams above and also differs from PNM & SJS illustations.   Its suprising this is such a vexed question.

Edited by 910Esprit

Rubber faces of the buffering washers towards the engine mount - from both experience and from an engineering perspective this is the way to go. Admittedly, there isn’t a lot of guidance in the Lotus manuals, but using a combination of the above points of view this is the conclusion I come to.

In engineering terms, a ‘buffer’ describes something that is ‘floating’ between shock absorbent surfaces - allowing the mount to have some movement to cope with bumps etc. To clarify, the counter bored washer is the upper washer, counter bored side faces the mount. The lower buffering washer, rubber side faces the mount.

I have also attached a photo of the torque settings (given in kgf.m and lbf.ft) page from the S3 and S3 Turbo manual.

I don’t think I have found anything in any of the manuals that states otherwise, but this information is from experience with many Esprits and an engineering background.

Hope this helps.

71081F57-02ED-4ED4-B2A3-FF5BDF0F29C3.thumb.jpeg.2b3a2a5c924383c18dd38fd11f91ec21.jpeg7D765B80-993A-4A1E-ADFF-1511108FE6FE.thumb.jpeg.80868ec9cd942ee306d67c54d73e459f.jpegF2730658-6938-4B81-AC0D-CB2A22AA5C01.thumb.jpeg.ea706bb1f7c011b4e5b15c5c88da48c0.jpeg

So my issue with that is what happens with the small washer, item #33 from my earlier post? It gets lost in the void created by the rubber ring on item #32. 😕

That will depend on its outside diameter.   It will either fit inside in the recess in #26 to provide additional lateral support or it will sit upon the inner tube of #26 and allow a little extra overall up/down movement of the mounting - between the overall limits determined by the top/bottom buffer washers

Edited by 910Esprit