free hit
counters
Some newbie advice - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stewie177

Some newbie advice

Firstly thank you for making this an interesting forum, particularly for someone looking to enter the marque.

I am in a bit of a quandary, I want to change my M4 for a new car and have a few contenders with two Lotuses being in the pile. The M4 (with the comp pack) is good, not great; the engine and gearbox are out of this world, as is the tech (HUD etc) but the chassis, brakes and suspension don’t really lend themselves to the engine. As a result I want to change, I have had it three years anyway.

So the contenders:

M5 - but struggling to get a demo in one and I feel it’s just going to be too big for me

GTR - had a drive, the power and road poise are superb, internally though shocking and no real presence

Went to Lotus Silverstone today and met with Matt, fantastic chap, answered all my completely random questions and will be going back for a drive in an Evora 410 and Exige 380

Then carried on down the road to Porsche for a 911 GTS.

Now the hard part, I want a car that can drive from Oxford to Leeds without me arriving at the other end looking for a lie down, let me drive it to the train station and park it without panicking, take my golf clubs (not worried about anyone else) then when Friday comes, turn on some loud music and press the loud pedal. 

Having seen the two Lotuses in the flesh, my heart is saying that one of these should win, but sensible me is saying 911. Of course it depends on the drives, but this is where I am at the moment. 

Has anyone else looked in a similar way at these cars? What persuaded you and what’s it like living with your decision?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had a GTR they becoming very boring very quickly.

Exige may be too much for what you’re looking for in terms of convenience.

911 GTS is a very lovely car and in RWD would be a nice car to play and IMO offers the better levels of comfort and convenience.

Evora 410 though is a good choice if you want a bit of comfort but want maybe that extra ‘feel’ and edge over the GTS.

All my own opinions :)

• Like 2

Sounds like the Porsche all the way .. Specially for the car park and golf points .. If you thinks the m4 has some let down, don't even think m5 then .. Just to know where is your cursor easy vs driving pleasure..

• Sad 1

Stuart,

We regularly park both the Exige roadster and Evora S in public car parks mainly in Derby, but not afraid to park in public car park anywhere TBH, you will need to allow extra time though to answer myriad of questions from all comers!

As for golf clubs, reliable informed you can get a set in the boot of the Evora or behind the seats; please note we don’t play golf so you should confirm this for your self.

the estate agent selling my late, dads house runs a Porsche 911 (not sure which type) will openly admit that he wishes he had had the b*lls to get a Lotus every time he sees one of ours out and about?

as Imran has said the 410 is a very good choice.

If you drive the 410, I can almost guarantee you that you’ll choose it over a 911. 

(Are you aware that the 410 doesn’t have rear seats? (Just a storage area). If you need rear seats, even very occasionally, maybe a 400 would be a better bet for you). 

Do you know what @Stewie177 your exactly the people Lotus need to get on board, the problem I see for them and please Dear God let me be wrong is that you will not believe the amount of youngsters and I am talking people under 30 who have no idea who Lotus are. Lotus is very niche market, now for me I love them but it was really to do with FYEO that started that and I am pretty sure that is for many of us. I started with an S1 Elise when I was 25 as I could afford it and I absolutely loved it. It was ground breaking but still hardly anyone ever knew what it was. 

It has been said before, but it does all come down to marketing they can’t keep relying on the petrolheads the seed needs to be planted and soon. The fact you are considering a 911 or a Lotus makes me very happy, for me obviously there would be no question where I would go but you are still a petrolhead and I believe there in lies the problem. They need to get to a wider market and they have the opportunity with new funding. 

This SUV might work but it needs to be ground breaking and absolutely bloody brilliant or it will end up like the Maserati. 

Go drive both Lotus I genuinely hope you love one or both and buy one if in any doubt I promise once you have had one they get under your skin also I haven’t met a knob who owns one yet. I have however met many knobs who haven’t but have a opinion. 

By the way I haven’t driven a Exige or and Evora but they and many other Lotus would be on my shopping list including the SUV if I win the lottery. 

Jaysus just reread that, I am now staring to worry about myself 😂

oh and the forum ain’t so bad either. 

Take it easy 

Dan 

#rantover 

I loved my exige (you might have seen it at Silverstone today actually) but it's not really a commuting car. It's mega in the right environment, on a track, but it's not exactly refined in the cabin, although the ride is better than you would ever believe. The Evora is mega and personally I'd have one over a 911 of any type. In my view, if you are interested ina 911, which can only be described as very nice but dull, you might as well just buy a golf gti which can also only be described as very nice but dull,  and save the balance. Made by the same company! 

To explain my reference to the Evora being mega better... The 400, which is what I have driven the most, is basically as quick on track as a V6 Exige. At least it is in my ham fisted mitts, I've been fortunate to have a go in one round Silverstone and Spa and frankly the thing is unbelievable. It's also refined, comfortable, can take my kids in the back, easy on consumables - although if I was still a trackday addict I'd stick with the Exige. But I'm now down to 2/3 a year and at least one of those in Europe (I used to do loads pre kids and as it turned out, pre buying the V6 as well...) and the 400 is just as good on track, far more pleasant getting there and back, and far more use able the rest of the year - evidenced by the fact I did 8k miles in mine over 3 years, 4k of which were in yr 1! On the initial drive, if you drive both back to back and drive the exige first, you will then think the Evora is slower - it doesn't have the brutal shove in the back in third gear the V6 does - and less exciting. But once you do a few miles in it... 

Edited by Gashead1105

Had 3 911’s to date, with 997 GT3 being the most modern .  Great cars but for me too many of them on the road and didn’t find them exciting at normal speeds .  Just didn’t feel special enough in the end.

Had the Evora 400 Auto for 10 months and loved it.  Comfortable car for long journeys, yet stick it in Sport, open the exhaust and it was a great sports car.  The auto, although not a PDK,  is very good still and loved the auto blips on down shift.  Manual box is sweet too,   The fact the car still made me smile each drive after 10 months talks volumes, when I normally keep cars for 3 months only before getting bored. 

Test drove the 410 and it’s a step up in terms of sporting feel,  

Funnily enough I find the Boxster more fun on the road than a 911, but as with all these things it’s a personal thing,  

best of luck which ever way you go,

Thank you all guys.

I think you are more than correct Alias23, the Corolla-like dashboard will drive me potty over time and I will get bored.

I think you all make valid points, interestingly I have only had people in the back seats twice in two years, so a 410 is fine Bravo 73.

DanE - given the patience from Matt at Silverstone, it cannot be too long until Lotus succeed.

A drive in all three is the only way - some overnight man maths and a look at autotrader can get me a 1.2 Corsa for the train station and golf clubs for £1k and I can buy whatever I want (I do think the look of the Exige has grown on me)

I shall report back in a couple of weeks after the drive and my ‘opinion’ has had her say!

• Like 1

I'm driving from Leamington Spa back to Leeds this weekend to visit the family and collect the other half's new car (hence for going in the Lotus). It won't be a regular occurrence but It is do able. The  only issue is fitting all the other half's cloths in.

I use the Exige daily but I have a short commute, which are 99% on country roads.

I came from a BMW M235i. There are certainly things I miss, but the size my smile when I'm driving certainly over compensates for it's lack of practicality and creature comforts.

Something I didn't consider or expect when purchasing a Lotus, was how much attention and respect from other motorist's. People would literally go out of their way to try piss you off in the beemer, but it's the complete opposite road etiquette I receive when driving the Lotus. 

Good look finding your next car,  I think If I had a Porsche sized budget, It would have to be a GT4 / GT3..

It might be worth waiting for the 718 GT4?

42 minutes ago, DT 350 said:

It might be worth waiting for the 718 GT4?

Thanks Dan - I think getting hold of one of the GT cars from Porsche without a track record is nigh on impossible.

The more I think about it, the two car route seems logical, so I am not compromising what I want. I will drive all three, but the Porsche (and I think the Evora) will have to be really special

Even on a debadged M4 the nutters come after you (okay it is Yasmarina Blue) but still

I'm looking at getting a winter car at the end of this year, then keep the lotus garaged up. 

The M235 was hardly in your face but it didn't hang around especially as mine had more power then a M2. 

If it helps I had a similar wish list (minus the golf clubs) though I play hockey and needed to get my stick bag etc in for matches.

I drove the evora and it was the sensible choice, one i knew the wife would like and i could with +2 config get the kids in to make family days more of an occasion (for me driving :) )

I drove the exige and it was the absolute selfish route, raw, noisy, impractical, only two seats, difficult to get in/out, pain to drive at slow speeds, hard to see out the back of.........and i bloody loved it.....every single second and still do 1 yr on, 4000 miles and 2 track days later. I can do long journeys in it no problems, for me with the sound system upgrade i did and in quiet mode it rides very well. they shouldnt squeak or rattle. 

I also drove an R8 V10 spider and a DBS and whilst the DBS was something i have loved since i was younger, I couldn't shake the exige and then grew excited at the track journey i can go on.

Where i live there are lots of porsches so i dont really like them as i tend to go left field, when all my friends had golf gti's and 205 1.9 GTi's back in the early 2000's i had a william clio 3 so if something is super popular it tends to put me off. 

When i bought the 350/380 were the only models around and i didn't feel the 380 was worth the extra money but with the 430......

Which ever way you go, good luck and keep us updated on your thoughts. 

Not much to add that hasn't already been well said above me but I can definitely say that if it's a possibility, do all you can to get a daily. It means you don't have to deal with having your fun car used for daily stuff like shopping and more importantly it makes every single journey when you do get in it much more of an event. 

For what it's worth, I've done plenty of long journeys in the Exige and find it surprisingly ok. If anything I actually prefer the seating position and find it more comfortable than the M3 on a long run. 

As for car choice, if at all possible, back to back test drives should make the right choice stand out for you. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

It's the Evora every time for me, I had a 350 sport for a short time, but one drive in the Evora was sufficient for me to make the decision to change.

I bought the 400 from Leeds, drove up from Wiltshire in the Exige, and to be honest ached a bit when I got there despite 2 stops, drove back non stop in the 400 and could have turned round and done the journey again without any aches and pains. 

It feels much more planted on poor roads than the exige did, and after one trackday I'm very impressed (although the Exige would undoubtably be quicker on circuit)

Matt and the team at Silverstone are fantastic, you won't go wrong dealing with them.

(or you could take the safe boring route and buy a porker, but then you will never know what you have been missing!)

9 hours ago, DT 350 said:

Something I didn't consider or expect when purchasing a Lotus, was how much attention and respect from other motorist's. People would literally go out of their way to try piss you off in the beemer, but it's the complete opposite road etiquette I receive when driving the Lotus. 

I’ve found this too. Today after football there were grown men their 20s/30s taking turns to sit in the passenger seat of my Exige while it was idling!

With regards to the other points: dailying an Exige has been fine. I expected a bad ride and a headache from the noise but the ride is great and I love the engine noise. The only issue is how readily he windscreen wants to steam up, and lack of power steering but you get used to it. And.... having a huge amount of power available immediately is quite useful for the commute in my opinion.

Similarly distance driving has been fine.....cruise control and ok fuel economy going along at 2k rpm.

Stewart,

If you want to go on Track a few times a year it really needs to be an Exige, not much will pass you, if not then an Evora for occasional use.  

Best steer clear of 380’ s and 410’s as they are very noisy and not allowed on most UK tracks unless you change the Exhaust. I’ve had a few M3’s and driven a couple of 911’s on Track and owned a number of German cars and they  were all exceptional Road cars.

But for me Lotus epitomise what light weight undiluted driving is all about and uncompromising.

I daily drive my 380 cup and I love it. I shouldn’t be driving it so much but every morning when I have to choose between driving my FJ Cruiser to work or the cup, the cup wins every time.

Porsches are really nice, I’ve been building my GT3 RS on the Porsche website ever since it was announced. But, when I pay that much money I want to feel special and with a Porsche, I’m never gonna feel special, everyone has one. The Exige is the best bang for the buck when it comes to feeling special, both to drive and sticking out. But Porsche would obviously always be the more practical and logical choice.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Otherwise, choose life. Choose exhileration. Choose fook the golf balls. Choose Lotus!

Just fekin brilliant that mate..... :devil:

12 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Just fekin brilliant that mate..... :devil:

Inspiration from Trainspotting.

“The Exige is like Debbie from Dallas. All fur coat an nae knickers”

:thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, C7steve said:

“The Exige is like Debbie from Dallas. All fur coat an nae knickers”

:thumbsup:

I could have said Perth as opposed to Dallas to be more accurate, but the Englanders would have thought I meant she was an Aussie...

And be roughing up our balls

• Haha 1