free hit
counters
Manual brakes? or... also my absence - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roberto Esprit

Manual brakes? or... also my absence

I will open with a question I have had for weeks. Anyone say F*** the powee booster and vacuum system all together and run a manual  cylinder? If so what diamiter piston and throw ratio. This is also one reason I was thinking about a pedal box.

I would still run a small temporary vacuum pump and plastic resivour for the flaps. Later to be replaced by steppers. This would all lead up to a big alternator and belt routing mod. Possibly an electronic water pump in the mix.

So my absence cant be summed up two short. Its a mixed bag. I cant communicate two well my intentions. This leads to pissing off my fellow man. My intentions with the esprit might not be clear. Which is to make a fully reversable full interior and body modification to modern standard. Which people may not like. Also its not my esprit of choice as its an outstanding classic with not much wrong with it other than being dated and having factory defects due to age or lotuses poor choices. I wanted a totaled rolling chassis but the car was cheap and I needed a car asap. Theres a big tax here keeping me from having another car. So like it or notits my DD. I do my best to keep the paint and body clean. That said.

Ive been busy with the conversion. The audi drivers door is nearly foamed in I converted the switches to 95 era audi units. This all makes it possible to put speakers in. Moves the handle up near the s4s posistion. And adds window defrost vents. Theres also power locks which I will be adding a solonoid to get rid of the manual handles. As of now I need foam and body filler then all I gotta do is leather wrap it.

My carbon dash didnt go well on the left side. I ended up making a new panel from acratch using the broken one as a mold..... A P/O neglected it and added a sticker over it which only helped it warp. Weather caused my resin to misbehave and theres no saving the oem piece. Its really warped and the fiber didnt take. Crying shame. I liked the burl. But I shoulda bent an aluminum copy because the new piece was warped and my technique was bad. I ended up with an almost flat panel... Didnt fit good and a corner cracked.  I also sat on it after my final sand and clear cracking it all over ruining 3 weeks worth of work... Now I have a spider cracked piece thats dull. But its not warped. Ill do it again soon.....

The temporary magnesium besil looked real nasty so I set to drilling it for indication lights. I used silicone stained glass gel for color and chaned to LED lighting. Then I wetsanded the part. Paint wouldnt take so I had to sand it all off and prime it.

My intake plenum which is a hopeflly upgraded copy of lotus talks loren's unit needed a lot of love. It was full of pinholes then I measured it... Some sort of error put me right at 4500cc of volume. This led me to contact Mr.Dangerus. he said the difference between 4500 and 3500 should be negligable. Im also low on fiber and wondering if I should redo it as its lumpy. Lumpy = poor flow and turbulence.

Also finaly got off my butt and measured the lift gate hinges.... Anyo e can make em. Im still not rich enough to spend 50 $ on hinges and another 100$ on building a mini brake. I did however use  a wire and copied the angles. So itll hapoen  someday some time. And itll be in titanium grade 1 just because.... Actually its a rigidity issue grade 1 is s the softest and ss has as many issues as titanium does at those thicknesses.

Money. Yearly taxes. Mods and birthdays sacked me real bad and I lost a contract right after getting a new one. This caused me to go into a small deoression. Its rather personal I know but I am honest. Im better but it was a scare.

More good after that. I been herassing the hell out of MCM's marty because the forums had no moderators!! He finally caved after almost getting my self banned for calling them out. Squeaky wheel and all. So now I am there daily. Greeting members and scanning for spam. He forgot to give us the privlage to move the threads and the way that forum is organized we need it despriaely.

I am into hotrodding so I fit in there.

Also I been enjoying spring. The lotus gother full bath which includes stripping the engine and suspension of nasty stuff. A regrease which looks like the first in years for the shift. Which is now butter smooth minus a possibly leaky slave as the lines SS. And I been hoarding R12. Oil came and I bid on a lot of 20 cans.

So those are why I been away and ... my cooking show...

I want to close by thanking you all especially Bibs as I wouldnt be able to log in after the facebook login issue a few months back.  That is the sole reason I no longer am on lotus talk. They never fixed it.

Again thanks and please let me know your thoughts even if you think the idea is ...uunko thats japanese for shite. =D

Also auto corrdct makes me sound like an english second language speaker... I mistakenky sent this from my cell...

Im old enough to need a slider keyboard...

Sorry for it being hard to read....

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The combination of modern and old combined is acceptable to most especially when the circumstances dictate it is needed.

Have you posted any pictures of your mods or images of planned mods as I'd like to see them?

If you can't upload photos due to size, you can always create a 'flickr' account for yourself (it take 10-15 minutes to setup max) and provide a link to a common share of your photos.

I havent wanted to snap many photos. Because its all looked pretty ratty. I did a 2 din install and was going to make a nice aircon panel but it didnt turn out quite how I wanted so I wasnt wanting to snap a photo till now. Also I did a leather repaint which started out great until I bought the wrong clear and the stuff bubbled up. I just got it stripped off.  The door is coming but that will probably be a you tube video. Theres photos of my sucesses and failures on lotus talk but I dont go there anymore due to a facebook login issue that bibs fixed for me but they never did at lotus talk.

Also side plates arent even started for the stereo and the plan is to replace all of this with climate controls an audison bit 1 which I have but no amp and a multidock.

IMG_20180325_124144.jpg

Also the topic at hand. I really need to know if anyone is running manual disc brakes.

This may be of interest to you, but @Chillidoggy does note that LHD drive cars may be difficult to do.

I just saw it pinned lol.

EDIT: Eh Ramjet.... I read that and not quite where I am heading unless I missed a few important posts...

Theres gotta be people on here racing these that use full blown race setups. I wanna know what they think about the pedal feel.  The squaking is driving me insane and I would like to replace the pump with a much much smaller one or no pump at all.  The reason for that is electrical load because I full well plan on a big stereo electronic charge cooler pump and possibly electronic coolant pump. I laready upgraded the alt once but I am looking at putting a 200amp unit where the vac pump is..... MAybe

Edited by Roberto Esprit