free hit
counters
differential housing drain plugs - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
nanardos

differential housing drain plugs

Hi Everyone,

I have seen what I think is coolant (?) coming out of the two differential drain plugs 

Do you know where this liquid comes from ?

Bernard

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it's on the OUTSIDE (in other words, a coolant-colored drip on the bolt-head)  it might be coming from the coolant line that connects to the right side of the block, near the #4 cylinder.  

I've needed to tighten that one a couple times.

Can you post a picture?

BTW, an HCI should have a C35 transmission, with ONE drain bolt (21 or 22 mm head).

Hi,

I am talking about the DIFFERENTIAL drain plugs 

The liquid comes out from the rubber tube extension of the drain plugs part n° 3 on the attached manual picture

diff drain plug.pdf

In case you can't open the previous file...

WP_20180331_16_44_16_Pro.jpg

It sounds as if the transmission has been over filled with oil which is escaping through the output shaft housing drain hose.

Remove the oil level plug & check the level.

OK, I call those the VENTS.  It is somewhat normal for those to 'sweat' trans lube...but certainly not coolant.  There isn't coolant anywhere inside, there.

On a G-car, however, the coolant header tank does not have an overflow reservoir as today's cars do. If the header is overfilled (to more than 1" or 25 cm below the neck) the hot coolant will expand, and vent out of a hose at the neck. 

This hose points DOWNWARD, and could conceivably aim at the axle outlet housings.  Which is better than pointing towards the RH inboard brake disc!!!!! :X:cry:

Perhaps you need to renew the pressure cap on the header tank.  It is a one-bar (15PSI) unit as I remember.

PS: Regards overfilling the trans, Harry Martens (the tranny wizard) recommends overfilling the Citroen trans by a half-liter.

http://ds-vitesse.com/en/

Hi Atwell,

Thanks for your kind advice

Regards

Bernard

HI guys,

these drains are only for leading the oil away from brake disks in case of failure of seal. If oil comes out, the seal is worn. No worries for over fill, there is no pressure inside gearbox. I advise to use 3 liter oil instead of 2.25 . Better for lubrication of 5th gear. 

cheers,

• Like 1

Hi Harry,

Could you please kindly tell me what part number is the seal you are talking about on the drawing above ?

(and if you sell it ?)

Regards

BL

Those vent tubes (#3 on your diagram) are nothing exotic.  I replaced mine with vinyl hose from a hardware store.

• Like 1

I am talking about the seal, not the tubes...

In that case, the oil retaining washer and oil seal are A079F6282F (#6) and A079F6288F (#7) respectively.  (Lotus part numbers)

I have just discovered that the problem was not a worn oil seal but a loosened nut (bearing to output shaft) and loosened locking screw of this output shaft nut.

I had to make a special tool (see attached pic) to relock the nut and, although it was only a bit dry, I replaced the old oil seal with new one.

I also had to fabricate and replace the output shaft housing paper gasket  (thickness = 0.17mm).

I would not recommend anyone to embark in this repair if you don't have the special tool to relock the nut.

special tool.jpg