free hit
counters
Rear lights Lotus Elite series 1 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear lights Lotus Elite series 1

Hi there does anyone out there have any rear lights for a series 1 1974 lotus elite. One of mine is broken and they are proving to be hard to find. Must be willing to ship to New Zealand. Thanks in advance. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hawaiis0 said:

I am thinking they are Aston Martin type and just short of a million squid a pop.

Correct and also fitted to Scimitar GTE.

They appear on ebay now and again for silly money.

I would try LotusBits in the UK. lotusbits.com

:) 

It's getting there......

Yeah I’ve seen them on eBay for crazy money. sjsportscar don’t have them. I’ve tried to order parts through lotus bits and they don’t reply at all. Kind of at a dead end. Was thinking of upgrading to new style but it’s hard to find something that suits. 

• 2 years later...
On 01/04/2018 at 03:27, Weston said:

Hi there does anyone out there have any rear lights for a series 1 1974 lotus elite. One of mine is broken and they are proving to be hard to find. Must be willing to ship to New Zealand. Thanks in advance. 

I ve got a pair of lucas L819 taillights,either side they can be installed. made in England made up three-piece lenses, carcass and sockets included. I am here in The State of Mexico MEXICO

[email protected]

I ve got a pair of lucas L819 taillights,either side they can be installed. made in England made up three-piece lenses, carcass and sockets included. I am here in The State of Mexico MEXICO

[email protected]

As far as I know; this L819 Lucas taillight can be fitted on Aston Martin DBS vantage 69-73 ,Lotus Elite,Jensen Healey and Reliant scimtar.Besides Lotus Elite from the early 70,s. In fact a car TV program MEXICANICOS; in Guadalajara Jalisco,recently restored toroughly a lotus elite so the rear foldable window was ordered from England.  Greetings.

Best bet is to persevere with Lotus bits. They list them on web site as "From £25". I know (cos I've looked through them all), they have many on the shelf in a wide range of conditions. I'd suggest you get them to select the best they have , give you a price and send you detailed photograph's by email so you know exactly what you are getting. From what I saw, for £25 you'd get a very tatty light, probably with some retention lens screws broken (although should be repairable with the right creative approach).

200426.jpg.952337ea87e61c04859be6ec74a195a4.jpg

Just happen to have a light by my computer ( don't ask why - this car gets everywhere !!!!), so photographed it for benefit of anyone not sure which style you are looking for.

Alternatively price up a series 2 bumper with the SD1 lights? It might be cheaper in the long run. I'm not sure if the S2 bumper is a direct fit though..

Tony

P.S. Early cars have Chrome surrounds, later cars have a black surround.

On 26/04/2020 at 09:46, mikeeech said:

How is your spànish?

No Spanish at all but the pictures speak. 

Impressed by a full refurb in 8 minutes !  Shame they don't show a bit more of the in between

Tony

On 26/04/2020 at 13:32, Hawaiis0 said:

Do the Lotus ones have alternate side reverse  or fog on the inner part?  Hillman hunters used them too

I don't believe the lights are from a Hillman Hunter. They did not have a reverse light in the cluster (from the pictures I've seen.)

The series 1 light clusters may originally have been intended to be mounted vertically (on a van?) looking at the orientation of the Lucas script. I guess the most likely explanation is that they were ordered by a large manufacturer for a cancelled project and the stock was bought by low volume manufacturers (Reliant, Aston, Lotus...)

Richard

Not sure about your vertical orientation idea Richard!  The factory gaskets for the lenses have small ventilation gaps at the bottom - if you put them the right way up!  None of the after-market gaskets have these I've noticed.  Unless Lotus had new gaskets made?

Pete

I think your correct the inserts for the indicators are the same pattern as used in Sunbeam rapiers. Which were designed for vertical use.

Sorry sunbeam owners but I cannibalised a set of new old stock units for the inserts....

In fact I do have a pair of L819 Lucas taillights, which are sound, so  I am willing to ship anywhere if an agreement is settled, provided that the parcel service might be high.. Greetings..

On 26/04/2020 at 03:24, Tony D said:

Best bet is to persevere with Lotus bits. They list them on web site as "From £25". I know (cos I've looked through them all), they have many on the shelf in a wide range of conditions. I'd suggest you get them to select the best they have , give you a price and send you detailed photograph's by email so you know exactly what you are getting. From what I saw, for £25 you'd get a very tatty light, probably with some retention lens screws broken (although should be repairable with the right creative approach).

200426.jpg.952337ea87e61c04859be6ec74a195a4.jpg

Just happen to have a light by my computer ( don't ask why - this car gets everywhere !!!!), so photographed it for benefit of anyone not sure which style you are looking for.

Alternatively price up a series 2 bumper with the SD1 lights? It might be cheaper in the long run. I'm not sure if the S2 bumper is a direct fit though..

Tony

P.S. Early cars have Chrome surrounds, later cars have a black surround.

This taillight displayed is basically the same as the pair I have here,the only thing is that mine have black surround. with the rear screws and sockets in good shape. the three lenses are also fine. At the beginning, I thought they belonged to a ford transit van or a Bedford flat bed truck..

Earliest cars had Chrome surrounds. Later series 1 cars changed to black surround. Lotusbits have a mix of both styles on their shelves. Black ones are easier to clean up ( if needed) , because you don't need to get the chrome removed first.

Tony

Mr Matt, a respectable Lotus freak / collector just sent me an e mail here into my homeland in Mexico, inquiring info about the taillights for a Lotus elite, if any of you can contact him, please let him know, that I just answered his inquiry via my regular e mail account, however in my screen there is a notice indicating that the recipient Mr. Matt for some reason did not get my reply,so that we can agree on a more reliable way to get in touch for further details.  Thanks in advance to whom it may concern. Genaro Coronado.. This is my mobile phone number 0445534691016.